SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : I love the law - it is my best friend and personal trainer.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Blaine,

I had felt much the same as you so I can def relate!

I took my wife to an SI conference for her birthday a few years back (2013) and brother Keith Daniels preached a sermon that was quite convincing!

I believe Greg could provide the title if you asked, sorry I do not remember its title. One of the quotes was "preachers,...preach the law or get out of the pulpit!"

If you feel so inclined, it might serve to illustrate what's being talked about here...
It greatly blessed me:)

2016/5/27 13:13Profile

Re: Two Accounts From Acts

Brothers if anyone knew the law it was certainly the Apostle Paul. And he certainly knew what the law can do to a sinner given his experiences of Romans 7. However to the best of the apostolic record that is found in Acts, there is no indication that Paul ever preached the law to the Gentiles. At least a preaching the law to drive them and Christ.

Two accounts I reference. The first one is found in Acts 13 regarding Sergius Paulus. When Paul had the encounter with Elymias the Jewish false prophet. Paul rebuked Elymias and told him he would be blind for a time. Paul did this because Elymias was perverting the gospel that Paul was seeking to share with Sergius Paulus. Acts 13:12 says,

... Then the proconsul believed when he saw what had happened being amazed at the teaching of the Lord...

As far as we glean from the text there was no preaching of the Ten Commandments. But certainly a demonstration of the power of God. Such a demonstration that resulted in Sergious Paulius becoming a believer in Jesus.

The second account I references is found in Acts 16. An account we all are familiar with. In this case Paul and Silas had been imprisoned in Phillipi. At midnight when they were singing hymns of praise to God a powerful earthquake occurred. All the doors of the prison were opened. The Philippian Jailer thinking the prisoners had escaped was preparing to commit hari-kari. Paul stayed his hand by reassuring the jailor all the prisoners were there. Consider the following verses out of Acts 16:30-31

... "Sirs what must I do to be saved?" They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household."

The law did not need to be preached. A demonstration of the earthquake power of God was enough to turn the Philippian Jailer and his family to Christ.

I reference the above two accounts out of Acts where Paul preached Christ crucified as a result of the power of God being demonstrated. As far as I can see no law preaching was involved in the above two accounts.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/5/27 13:53
proudpapa

Re:

Acts 24:25

And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

2016/5/27 14:18Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Blaine,

It took a min but I found it :)) on YouTube posted by SI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWS-FBoN35E

2016/5/27 14:29Profile

Re:

From the other thread..........

"Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
(Rom 5:20-21)

The law actually increases our sin, our culpability. It stands as a testimony to our utter sinfulness and hopelessness and then only serves to highlight the beauty and the magnificence of the one who delivers us from its curse without any merit at all and birthed in sheer love!!.......bro Frank"

The law could never be considered as any kind of grace, they stand opposed to one another, one has to give way for the other to rule. Grace is unmerited favor, there is nothing unmerited about the law, the law requires from us what we cannot give. Grace gives us what we could not do by ourselves, polar opposites...........bro Frank

2016/5/27 14:55

Re: the law requires from us what we cannot give.

I agree Frank that the law requires from us what we cannot give. That is the whole point. My problem was that I thought I could do it independently until the law proved me wrong.

"I could have never learned this so important lesson if the law did not shoot me. I now thank God for the law and all the bullet holes it put in me. Only the law could slay me of this self righteousness that I had. I had no idea that it even existed before the law shot me. It was the law the showed me that my "I" needed to replaced with Christ Himself."

Now this was a form of God's love to me because I would have never seen my NOTHINGNESS without the law. So God used the law to shot me "FOR MY OWN GOOD". I did need it.

2016/5/27 15:49

Re:

Tuc Jesus said the same thing in John 15. For He said apart from Me you can do nothing. There was no reference to the law.

My thoughts bro.

2016/5/27 16:23

Re:

Granted PP. But there was no indication that Paul was preaching Law to Felix. More likely he was preaching Jesus and the cross to Fekix. And telling him that Jesus would return and judge the world. This is what Paul told the Athenians in Acts 17. In that sermon there was no reference to law.

Again my thoughts.

2016/5/27 16:27

Re: For He said apart from Me you can do nothing.

Yes I agree. All I am saying that I needed the law to show me that. Maybe you did not need the law but I thank God that He let the law shoot me.

2016/5/27 16:28

Re:

Fketch thanks for posting the link bro. I will try to listen to it tonight since I don't have to moderate a prayer call.

2016/5/27 16:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy