SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 1 and 2

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
bro_willy

Re:

Target sells books that promote the gap theory. That is why several people are boycotting I think.

2016/4/29 23:22Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Marcmc, dinosaurs are just big reptiles. They grow their entire lives. If they were living as long as people, hundreds of years, I suppose they would get pretty big. The word dinosaur isn't found in scripture because the word didn't exist when translated. Dinosaurs are mentioned in scripture however.

““Look at Behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength it has in its loins, what power in the muscles of its belly! Its tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of its thighs are close-knit. Its bones are tubes of bronze, its limbs like rods of iron.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭40:15-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬
http://bible.com/111/job.40.15-18.niv

People usually say a behemoth is an elephant or hippo but neither of those have a tail like a cedar! Honestly I don't really know what about dinosaurs you want me to say lol but this is a starting point I guess

2016/4/29 23:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

All I know is that t-Rex wasn't chasing men around.

If dinosaurs were contemporary with humans there would be more than a vague reference in Job. Just my opinion of course.

But leviathan sounds exactly like a fire breathing dragon so they must have existed.

2016/4/30 0:04Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

TMK I totally agree! I don't think it was Jurassic park or anything. But there seems to be some indication that they co existed. What that looked like I have no idea.

2016/4/30 0:18Profile

Re:

JHerndon, what they looked like is no mystery, they looked like Dinasaurs. I lived in Calgary Alta years ago which is a location where they found massive amounts of Dinasaur bones and fossils, I touched the bones, saw the massive skeletons. Leviathan was a crocodile not a Dinasaur. Behemoth was an elephant not a dinosaur.

But more to my first question, what happened to them? They were not on the ark but the scriptures declare 2 of everything (male and female) went on the ark. You pump them into your gas tank all the time and the amount of fossil fuels still in the ground would indicate the earth was teaming with them. When we're they here? And what happened to the?

The answers not mapped out in the bible. I remember the first person I ever witnessed too asked me "what about Dinosaurs?" I answered " well the bible doesn't mention them so they must not have been real". He rightly laughed at me!

Marc mc

2016/4/30 6:29
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Marcmc, so an elephant has a tail like a cedar??? I'm not sure what happen. I do think it's possible they could have been on the arc. Ken Ham has loads and loads of teaching on this subject and he his much more intelligent than I am. Like I mentioned reptiles grow their entire lives. They average life of humans has obviously decreased from hundreds of years in the Old Testament to 70 ish now. It seems reasonable that animals would decrease as well which would mean they wouldn't grow as big. Again not a professional in this but it would seem to me that after the flood there would have been drastic climate change? Perhaps some species couldn't handle the change. Maybe being hunted also played a role in the extinction of some. It's not like reptiles don't exist. They are still around today they just aren't big and aren't called dinosaurs. But just to be clear again I hold to these things very loosely. If some put a gun to my head and told me to denounce young earth doctrine I'm switching to gap theory pretty quick lol. This isn't fundamental doctrine that is crucial to the faith. It's a lot of speculation with a young earth and gap theory. A lot of things that are maybe outside of scripture a little bit on both sides.

2016/4/30 8:06Profile

Re:

Dinosaurs being on the ark and having shortened lives does not explain the oceanic sized oil deposits and carbon dating of their bones.

These creatures clearly lived in another age. The only people on the planet who have a hard time with this is young earth believers because they can't accept that God only reveals this like many other things through science.

The Bible is not Gods Galactic Encyclopedia of everything , it's a record of the first and second Adam. It strays very little from that objective. The bible is very specific. When gauged by the timeline it covers and the scope of world events the scriptures are like a skipping stone through time because of its singular objective. Jesus.

Marc mc

2016/4/30 8:20
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Carbon dating isn't the most reliable measurement of time. But I will agree that some things only God knows and there is no way to know what happens outside of what is revealed in scripture. Like I mentioned earlier theses things mean nothing to me. I just find them interesting. They hold no spiritual value. Much love brother

2016/4/30 12:59Profile

Re:

JHerndon,

But it does have something to do with you and what you believe.

If Dinosaurs lived in another age and there was the numbers of them that we know produced the oil reserves we have, consider the foliage necessary to feed those numbers. Then what killed them? Was death present in their age? What caused that death? God did not destroy them, but He also did not stop their demise! I would say the answers to these questions have an impact on our beliefs.

Marc mc

2016/4/30 16:34
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I sort of see a tension because it states that Eve was created after Adam named the animals. It reads like God brought the animals to Adam to find a suitable helper, but even the animals in their perfect state didn't cut the mustard, so God made Eve.

It just seems like a lot happened on day 6 per chapter 2. Remember all the animals AND Adam and Eve were created on the same day.

Some folks go so far as to say that Ch 2 tells a different creation story.

I tend to agree with you that Ch 2 is more of a footnote to Ch 1. Just not sure how it lines up exactly. Some day we will find out.

This "tension" led one group I knew of to have a strange blend of theories that claimed a created race and a formed race of men. I do not believe that. Remember, God created the animals "after their kind". Therefore, there was only one kind of dog, one kind of cat, one kind of cow, etc. There were not different species of the same kind of animal. Speciation occurred afterwards, and speciation can be pretty rapid. Adam only named the beast of the field and the fowl of the air. Reptiles, fish, and insects need not be considered. So the job is not quite so daunting as we might think. I am not sure how may this is, but on the taxonomical family level (roughly equivalent to kinds) my reading seems to indicate that there are certainly less than 1000 different families that fit the Biblical account, perhaps less than 500.

God did create male and female...male first, and then from male the female. So I don't see any contradiction there.

It is certainly possible that the garden was created with the rest of the plant life, not on day 6. There is nothing that clearly prohibits this in the language.

2016/5/2 13:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy