Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 41 Evidences of Pride

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Thank you for posting this list Chanin. What a monster pride is. It has been a giant that has knocked me down more than I want to remember. If you think you can knock him out with a smooth stone and just leave him there, forget it.

I think here is one of the ways he knocked me down concerning ministry

Quote:
Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

I was certainly a novice and was given the opportunity to teach in a limited way before a congregation. Boy did I have a lot to learn.

Pray for me and I pray for all of you who also struggle against this foe.

Chris

2006/3/9 17:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I was searching for this thread for a Bible study I'm conducting tonight. I thought this thread was outstanding, and deserved a good *Bump*

2007/4/24 12:23Profile

Re:

Anonymous said

Quote:
How can these be 'prideful' please describe. Maybe I'm deaf.(which I wouldn't doubt, because I've been soooooooo stupid on things resently)

14. Do you have a hard time confessing your sin to God or others? (not just in generalities, but in specifics)

15. Do you have a hard time sharing your real spiritual needs/struggles with others?

16. Do you have a hard time praying aloud with others?

17. Are you exessively shy?

18. Do you have a hard time reaching out and being friendly to people you don't know at church?

Are you shy? Do you have a hard time getting to know people? Afraid you might trip over your words during prayer and remain silent?

REPENT!!! Prideful Sinner!!!

Nice try. But if it ain't from the Bible there's no reason for me to buy your spiritual wares.

2007/4/24 16:39
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Pride

Quote:
REPENT!!! Prideful Sinner!!!

Nice try. But if it ain't from the Bible there's no reason for me to buy your spiritual wares.

4. Are you quick to find fault with others and to verbalize those thoughts to others? Do you have a sharp critical tongue?

9. Are you argumentative?

Cory,

Very difficult is it not to respond to a post on pride with a prideful comment?

The 'Anonymous' reply you are responding to is well over a year old, furthermore 'Anonymous' means this member is no longer participating here.

2007/4/24 22:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
Very difficult is it not to respond to a post on pride with a prideful comment?

I'm trying. And I'm the most un-Christlike person I know, so bear with me.

But how are shy people who are afraid of meeting new people or praying in public displaying the sin of pride?

Jesus advised us to be meek and to pray in the closet. That's why I said "if it ain't from the Bible there's no reason for me to buy your wares".

2007/4/25 2:40
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The reason excessive shyness can be rooted to the sin of pride has to do with why a person is being extremely shy to begin with. Speaking as one who is naturally shy, I have to say my shyness comes mostly from the desire to be a man-pleaser. That is, naturally speaking, I want to stay withdrawn from the crowd until I know people are safe and aren't going to judge me and think badly of me. And this is pride in the flesh.

2007/4/25 9:29Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Pride

Quote:
But how are shy people who are afraid of meeting new people or praying in public displaying the sin of pride?

Jesus advised us to be meek and to pray in the closet. That's why I said "if it ain't from the Bible there's no reason for me to buy your wares".

18. Do you have a hard time reaching out and being friendly to people you don't know at church?

[i]excessively[/i]

Think the point would be on the order of the 'fear of man' and that of excess self considerations, being too self absorbed, too self conscious even as you stated "afraid". And these things can be found in the scriptures brother. One that comes to mind and is strangely overlooked it seems;

Rev 21:8 But the [u]fearful, and unbelieving[/u], and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Similarly...

Mar 4:40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

[i]Fearful and unbelieving[/i], how closely linked ...

Not all praying is done in private...

Act 21:5 And when we had accomplished those days, we departed and went our way; and they all brought us on our way, with wives and children, till we were out of the city: and we kneeled down on the shore, and prayed.

To back up a minute, regarding;
Quote:

Recently there was some discussion on this very thing, 'public' prayers and my own admittance and reluctance in it's out-workings. On one level there is and was that shyness and the very 'fear of man', the [i]pride[/i] that wants to not look foolish, [i]seem[/i] 'spiritual', 'intelligent' ... But what began to over ride even all these things that need to be overcome was a greater impulse; [i]Faking it[/i]. Would rather pass and be silent if I had nothing but a human and fleshly recourse to rely on, to be a 'men pleaser' even amongst one's own Brethren and that is not in the wrong sense of the idea, another subtle twisting of pride. Better to just be misunderstood and not all that concerned about it, it doesn't set one up again to the opposite of being 'above it all'.

Quote:
I'm trying. And I'm the most un-Christlike person I know, so bear with me.

But of course! And pardon the digging in even deeper brother ... watch out for false humility. Cory, I am flatly convinced this is the greatest problem we Christians are up against, this matter of pride. It is shot through practically everything, everything from bitterness and cynicism to sarcasm and egotism, strife, contention, outbursts of anger, being offended, the want of self justification and defending our wounded psyche.

Look how far from the ideal we can be. Look to Jesus and how do we [i]talk[/i] and speak, respond? There is just no room for pride in us. We are caught by our own words, one of the particular curses\blessings of sharing ourselves here in this forum. Depending on our perspective, it is either a "[i]Thank God, someone had the nerve to point this out to me[/i]" or it can be a feeding of our preconceived notions and well ... just a burrowing in to more pride.

There can't be any other reason for correction to be forwarded other than to betterment and to growth, remember Paul's;

[i]For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.

Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.
2Co 7:8-11[/i]

[i][b]I rejoice ...
what carefulness it wrought in you[/b][/i]

It always a difficult thing to rebuke and\or be rebuked, exhorted, prompted to consider again especially from the one it is coming from recognizing his own frailties. Intent and motivation and the inherent misunderstandings abound, there is always a certain tension, a 'trembling', a [i]carefulness[/i] and a considering of how these things apply to the one bringing them forth, it is both the plank and the speck.

This long running post may be one of the most important available here; [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=10733&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride[/url]

Could hardly think of a better continued expression like Paul's [i]being made sorry[/i] unto betterment and edification.

2007/4/25 10:20Profile

Re: 41 Evidences of Pride

ChrisJD said

Quote:
If you think you can knock him out with a smooth stone and just leave him there, forget it.

I hope you don't mind my adding this thought... that I think that's why David went on to cut off his head. Like anything we need to get the victory over, it usually requires a focused mental effort combined with a total intention to see the thing die... a ruthlessness towards paying whatever the cost of killing it.

2007/4/25 10:47
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

41 Evidences of Pride

Reprint from the original;

1. Do you look down on those who are less educated, less affluent, less refined, or less successful than yourself?

2. Do you think of yourself as more spiritual than your mate or others in your church?

3. Do you have a judgemental spirit toward those who don't make the same lifestyle choices as you do... dress standards, how you school your kids, entertainment standards etc...?

4. Are you quick to find fault with others and to verbalize those thoughts to others? Do you have a sharp critical tongue?

5. Do you frequently correct or criticize your mate, your pastor or other people in position of leadership (teachers, etc...)

6. Do you give undo time, attention and effort to your physical appearance- hair, make up, clothing, weight, body shape, avoiding appearance of aging?

7. Are you proud of the schedule you keep, how disciplined you are, how much you are able to accomplish?

8. Are you driven to receive approval, praise, or acceptance from others?

9. Are you argumentative?

10. Do you generally think your way is the right way, the only way or the best way?

11. Do you have a touchy, sensative spirit? Easily offended? Get your feelings hurt easily?

12. Are you guilty of pretense? Trying to leave a better impression of yourself than is really true? (Would the people at church or body of believers be shocked if they knew what you wre like at home?)

13. Do you have a hard time admitting when you are wrong?

14. Do you have a hard time confessing your sin to God or others? (not just in generalities, but in specifics)

15. Do you have a hard time sharing your real spiritual needs/struggles with others?

19. Do you resent being asked or expected to serve your family, your parents or others?

20. Do you become defensive when you are criticized or corrected?

21. Are you a perfectionist? Do you get irked or impatient with people who aren't?

22. Do you tend to be controlling-of your mate, your children, friends, those in your workplace?

23. Do you frequently interrupt people when they are speaking?

24. Does your mate feel intimitated by your "spirituality"?

25. Does your mate feel like he/she never measure up to your expectations of what it means to be a good mate,etc.?

26. Do you often complain-about the weather, your health, your circumstances, your job, your church?

27. Do you talk about yourself too much?

28. Are you more concerned about your problems, needs, burdens than about others' concerns?

29. Do you worry about what others think of you? Too concerned about your reputation or your family's reputation?

30. Do you neglect to express gratitude for "little things"? To God? To others?

31. Do you neglect prayer and intake of the Word?

32. Do you get hurt if your acomplishments/or acts of service are not recognized or rewarded?

33. Do you get hurt if your feeling or opinions are not considered when your mate or boss is making a decision or if you are not informed when a change or a decision is made?

34. Do you react to rules? Do you have a hard time being told what to do?

35. Are you self-conscious because of your lack of education or natural beauty, or your socio-economic status?

36. Do you avoid participating in certain events, for fear or being embarrassed or looking foolish?

37. Do you avoid being around certain people because you feel inferior compared to them/don't feel you measure up?

38. Are you uncomfortable inviting people to your home because you don't think it's nice enough or you can't afford to do lavish entertaining?

39. Is it hard for you to let others know when you need help (practical or spiritual)?

40. When is the last time you said these words to a family member, friend, or co-worker: "I was wrong; would you please forgive me?" (If it's been more then a month, mark it down!)

and lastly....

41. Are you thinking how many of these questions apply to someone you know? Are you feeling pretty good that none of these things really apply to you? ....

2008/12/20 8:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy