SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Peyton Manning and Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

No offense,
But if those last responses are pointed in my direction, you simply can't/won't answer my questions. Tim Tebow has a real testimony. I have watched & heard much of his upbringing, his heart, his focus on Biblical purity/truth, his living testimony, etc. I played football & have watched MANY old NFL films videos on the manning family (starting with Archie, down to Peyton & Eli). I have never once heard ANY mention to memory of their faith, Jesus Christ, the Gospel, a witness/testimony/etc.,So before you label me as a Pharisee & discredit a simple common sense question, let me ask simply one more time:

Send me a link of him sharing his testimony.

That's not unreasonable. If people video believers lives & do documentaries on them, their should be some footage somewhere? And people here said expressly, "he appears to be a brother", so I am just curious how they came to that conclusion? Was it the "big man upstairs" comment in passing? If not, & something/anything more convincing, I simply asked to send a link so I can see/read what you are. If one can't do that, no need to attack or imply accusation against me for asking. That's kinda silly because Jesus said, "by their fruit you will recognize them" so I'm just openly & honestly looking for the fruit others apparently are seeing to base their conclusions on. That's not being critical, that's being wise. And if the log is removed from your own eye, Jesus said then you can see clearly to help remove the speck from your brothers eye. I don't know how asking for a real testimony/fruit is somehow "a log in my eye"? Don't assume anything brothers. Just send me what you saw that convinced you he's a brother. That's all. No more. No less. Pretty simple. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm willing to be convinced. But not just based on hearsay. That is neither wise, nor discerning, Biblically speaking.
God Bless,
Jeff

2016/2/12 9:40
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Jeff-

If you read the OP carefully most of it is quoting Manning. I think that qualifies as a testimony.

I think we can agree that his comments you quoted were unwise. I wonder if I would ever say anything unwise if I was interviewed or in the media spotlight every day of my life from college on? Lord have mercy.

2016/2/12 9:41Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Peyton Manning and Christianity

Brothers and Sisters,

God has set us free, and we must "standfast in the liberty that Christ has made us free and not be entangled again in the yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1).

The question is not if we can drink or not, but does our drinking bring glory to God? Does our drinking cause our brother to stumble? Does our drinking cause us to stumble?

I live in Southwest La. where people like to have a good time, and the saying is "let the good times roll." So there is a lot of drinking on holidays such as the Mardi Gras season, Contraband Days, and on most weekends.

This is the world, and if we are participating in these activities in the presence of unbelievers, then there is no difference between us and them.

There should be a clear difference between Christians and unbelievers. We are called by God to be separate from this world, which includes the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.

I used to like wine and bear and I drank a lot of it, but the Holy Spirit has dealt with me on more than one occasion about drinking, so for me drinking would be a sin. I cannot stay in fellowship with God and drink nor can I bring glory to God, so I choose to be obedient to the Lord out of His love which constrains me to do His will.

I like Peyton Manning, and I was hoping that Denver would win the Super Bowl, and that he would retire from pro football on a high note. I am not going to judge whether Peyton Manning is a Christian or not but he certainly is not bringing glory to God by the comments that he made after the Super Bowl. He is in a tremendous position to give glory to God because he is being watched by millions of people. Does drinking Budweiser and thanking the Man upstairs really bringing glory to God?

I did not watch the Super Bowl halftime show, but it certainly did not bring glory to God.

I praise God for the NFL players that are Christians and are not afraid to lift up the name of Jesus Christ, and that even join hands and pray together. These are the ones that are bringing glory to God.

Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense.It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.…(Romans 14:20-22).

"If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks? Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God";…(1 Corinthians 10:30-32).

2016/2/12 9:42Profile

Re:

Jeff,

Brother my post regarding Tim Tebow was not directed at you. I was simply pointing out that this forum has a tendency to judge both ends of the spectrum regarding how one walks with Christ.

In my tine on SI I have seen the the testimony of people such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer and CS Lewis called into question. A brother shared with me the credibility of Brother Yun was called into question before I joined the forum. And these are men who we regard as Christian Brothers. Well at least I regsrd them as Christian Brothers. Though some in the forum me dispute my judgement.

That was the intent of my post. Personally, and this is based on what I've heard from others. For I did not watch the superbowl. It would seem that the comments Peyton Manning made were not wise. Particularly if he claims to be a believer in Christ.

My two cents worth.

2016/2/12 9:53

Re:

TMK,
Ok, I went back & I must have somehow missed that before, thanks! Well, who knows? Maybe he is converted? I have no idea. I'm not going to judge him one way or the other on that. I did have similar experiences at 3 (in which I closed my eyes praying & saw Christ on a giant throne) - I still remembered it after 23), & a similar experience as he tells of around 12-13 also. However, for me, I wasn't truly "Born Again" & changed into a new creation until 23 years old & "all things became brand new" (when I truly surrendered all). Before that, I had seen glimpses, been moved to tears, had a basic understanding of Gospel truths about Jesus, but didn't have my spiritual eyes truly opened & set free from the power of the bondage to sin, until 23. Before that I was a false convert. There's a lot of that in America where "becoming a Christian" (in thought/practice) costs so little that the true cost sometimes doesn't get counted & willing to be paid (surrender). But I don't know his heart or his real spiritual condition. But I do know what he did/said wasn't God glorifying or edifying (or Biblical). I can make that statement of fact based on scripture without people throwing stones at me & calling me a Pharisee (what an oxymoron that is). Someone doesn't have to be "perfect" to be a true believer, but that also doesn't mean we can't examine someone's public words/behavior AT ALL (in meekness & honesty) Biblically & discuss it.

2016/2/12 10:00

Re:

I didn't watch the super bowl either (I have no TV service of any kind & havent for many years by choice). I did see the highlights & the interview on the NFL's YouTube clips though. And I think it's ok to examine men like Bonheiffer, CS Lewis, & anyone else's doctrine. I think it's actually scriptural my commanded. Not judging the unseen matters of ones heart, but what they have said, done, & claim to believe. I am not scared of that, but in gentleness, meekness & carefulness. Bonheiffer said some great things, but I understand wanted to plot to assasinate Hitler himself. Not sure how I think about that personally. CS Lewis I understand was an ultimate reconciliationist (a Universalist). I vehemently disagree with that (false) doctrine, & many Giants in church history would classify that doctrine as heretical. I'm ok with that discussion too. I'm not attacking not defending any of these men. But evaluating their actions, words, & doctrines in light of the scriptures & truth God laid out in His Word. I should be held personally to no less standard also. That's not wrong if not done in a wrong spirit. That's Biblical. God Bless! - Jeff

2016/2/12 10:07
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

To my knowledge Lewis was not a universalist. He believed in hell and that people would go there.

2016/2/12 10:53Profile

Re:

That was what I thought, but then I saw a fair amount of information to the contrary. Apparently there was a movement of Universalism (Ultimate Reconciliationism) during his time period in the theological thinking of the day.

2016/2/12 11:04

Re:

brother Jeff, I have a fondness for eating raw opium paste, does this mean i'm gonna split hell wide open?

(some of my bro's are with Delta teams in Afghanistan, and they bring me back this indulgence, is it sin?)

2016/2/12 13:40

Re:

Neil. I'm not going to respond to that. You should probably step away & pray about that one. I'm out. God Bless

2016/2/12 13:58

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy