SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are you ready for the big reveal?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Are you ready for the big reveal?

I saw this video on Facebook and I thought it was a fascinating way to put the earth in perspective to the rest of the universe. It shows just how grand God's creation is and how exceedingly little we know about it:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/how-big-our-place-universe

In addition to this, you may have noticed that yesterday it was announced that they have proof of liquid water on Mars.

I suspect within a couple of years, 10 at the most, that we will be hearing an announcement that life has been discovered elsewhere. It may only be microbes, but life nonetheless.

Are you ready for such an announcement? Will it shake your faith? Why or why not?

If you are an "alien-denier" (like my wife) even after seeing the scope of the video (and by this I mean you do not believe there is even one bacteria or other single cell creature in the entire universe) is it a personal belief or do you think scripture somehow precludes it? And if you think scripture precludes it what verse(s) do you rely on?

2015/9/29 8:10Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: Are you ready for the big reveal?

Well, let's take a moment. They have inferred water from other evidence, and their explanation fails to account for its source. Streaks on equatorial craters that change colors over seasons imply seepage of water, they say. But, the Martian ice is near the poles and there are no rivers. There may be water today on Mars, but this is not as much of a finding as the hype suggests. It could be hype that dovetails with the new Martian movie.

Secondly, I do not believe in intelligent life anywhere but Earth. Admitted. But, microbial life is not a big deal.

2015/9/29 8:26Profile

Re:

The scriptures are silent for a reason.

God doesn't warn or prepare people for non-events.

He is not an alarmist, or a denier.

2015/9/29 8:36
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Point taken, Tim. They say there is liquid water but it actually hasn't been seen yet. That Martian movie looks pretty decent. They showed the trailer when we saw War Room.

Julius, you said that God does not prepare people for non-events and that He is not an alarmist or denier.

Does this mean that you think discovery of life elsewhere would be a non-event, (as in no big deal) or that it is not possible per scripture?

2015/9/29 9:18Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Here is my own take on ET alien intelligence.

If they haven't found us then they may be no smarter than us and maybe so dumb as to not even imagine we exist.

We haven't found them, and until we do we are only speculating which can be fun and interesting but that is about it.

There is still no definitive find of a habitable planet of similar mass to Earth with an atmosphere similar to ours.

2015/9/29 11:06Profile

Re:

I'm not sure how many believers understand the Atheist thrust behind the diggers in the dirt and the diggers in the stars.

NASA and the Archeoligist are both very intent on finding an Iron Clad biblical error. The Archeloisgist know that if they can uncover some find that throws doubt on a geographical or timeline error they can build an entire argument around it. NASA is doing a similar thing with the planets.

The life on other planet debate is in many ways a cornerstone of Christian Thoelogy. If your a Christian and you beleive that there is or could have been life on another planet your theology is extremely problematic.

marcmc

2015/9/29 11:16
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Marc- that is why I asked if you would be ready when this is announced some day. Obviously you won't be.

Why is my theology problematic if I believe there is some form of life elsewhere? I still believe God put it there, despite what atheists and scientists believe.

Also, if your view of satan is correct, he should be strewing fake alien bones all over the surface of Mars for the rover to find.

2015/9/29 11:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
by TMK on 2015/9/29 9:18:48

Julius, you said that God does not prepare people for non-events and that He is not an alarmist or denier.

Does this mean that you think discovery of life elsewhere would be a non-event, (as in no big deal) or that it is not possible per scripture?

non-event = something that does not exist

If it existed it would be the biggest deal in the existence of mankind since the incarnation of the Savior.

What is the Holy Spirit telling you regarding why God has only seen fit to tell us about life on this planet?

What the Holy Spirit is telling me is this:

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image...
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Nothing about aliens which would certainly be classified as a "wonder" and nothing about life on other planets, which most people would regard as "gods".

2Tim_3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

2Th_2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and LYING WONDERS.

If I am not being direct enough...

It is a colossal waste of time to entertain "life" which the Lord has not spoken about. God is not the Deceiver.

Let's just say, Alien life is discovered. How, from the scriptures has God prepared us to relate to that life? Are they human, do they need a Savior, do we preach the Gospel to them?

2015/9/29 11:51

Re:

There is no life on another planet is easy to prove from an Arminian position and only takes longer to explain from a reformed position.

John 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Only begotten. One Son means one creation. Any other creation would have massive problems for the bible. The first would have a creation that was incapable of falling and therefore would be totally robotic and the second would have to be a creation that so far hasn't fallen but could potentialy in the future. And as God has already demonstrated the true requirements of His Rightous demands in the Crucfiction of His Son. His problem would be He only has One Son. One Son means one body, one kingdom, one creation.

marcmc

2015/9/29 11:58
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Come on now Julius- you are not going to use the "it's not in the Bible so it can't be true" argument are you?

I could list all sorts of things that are not mentioned in the Bible but are perfectly true- but it would take the rest of my life to do it.

So it is obvious in both yours and Marc's theology that you would have a huge difficulty dealing with such an announcement. Rather than saying such a thing is simply not possible (even though the earth is only a minuscule speck in the universe) I am interested in how you will deal with it if it is discovered (other than shouting "fake").

I am truly interested. I ask my wife this and she really doesn't have an answer.

2015/9/29 12:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy