SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

Saints,

I believe this is a subject that is worth consideration. It is not a hobby horse or something we promote on SermonIndex too much, but from time to time it has been raised. this is not to accuse sisters who do not, but rather to simply make known what the Bible teaches and for sisters to make a decision. From Watchman Nee to K.P. Yohannan and from the early Church the majority of the Church has held to this practice. It is only in the last 50+ years that overall the practice has started to diminish.

If you strongly disagree with this subject, please consider not using this thread to debate it strongly, it is more for those who are just learning and feel the Lord wants them to re-consider this for the modern day.

Milton Vincent gives an excellent simple but very comprehensive overview of the doctrine of headcoverings for sisters in the Lord. I highly recommend this. I also highly recommend K.P. Yohannan's very simple short booklet on the subject:

(Pdf Book) Head Coverings by K.P. Yohannan
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=25173

Head-coverings in Worship Part 1
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26139

Head-coverings in Worship Part 2
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26140

Head-coverings in Worship Part 3
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26141

Head-coverings in Worship Part 4
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26142

Head-coverings in Worship Part 5
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26143

Head-coverings in Worship Part 6
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26144

Head-coverings in Worship Part 7
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26145

Head-coverings in Worship Part 8
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26146

Head-coverings in Worship Part 9
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=26147

1 Corinthians 11 New International Version (NIV)

11 1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

On Covering the Head in Worship
2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

2015/7/4 13:22Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re: Head Coverings For Women In The Church?

thank you, I will definitely listen these messages
after listening many messages I believe that we cannot prove using the 1 Corinthian 11 passage that the covering is physical or just a symbol

one positive argument for physical covering is the church fathers teaching about this

2015/7/4 15:56Profile

Quote:
If you strongly disagree with this subject, please consider not using this thread

There is definitely wisdom in this statement.

2015/7/5 9:54

Re:

My questions are.

Should a Christian woman wear a head covering in church meetings
only when she is praying as the scriptures states or should she wear the head covering the entire meeting even when she in not praying?

The scriptures also state women should keep silent in the church meetings. Therefore what would be the is the point of a head covering if she cannot pray publicly in the meeting? Unless of course a head covering covers silent praying as well.

For example if she visits her male doctor and if happens to be a believer should she put on her head covering if she starts to pray silently when he gives his grim diagnosis?

If she is walking down the street it would be assumed that some of the
people she is passing are Christians and so should she not have her head covering on at all times just in case she starts to pray?

2015/7/5 16:17
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Should a Christian woman wear a head covering in church meetings
only when she is praying as the scriptures states or should she wear the head covering the entire meeting even when she in not praying?

I have not heard or read the messages given in the link. I believe every command in New testament should be followed. There are very few external commands. Most of them are internal. I believe if you read those messages then you will get an answer. The point of this thread is not for someone to prove himself smart by challenging the Head Covering. It is for saints to read the truth that is supported by this site on this subject. So if you seriously have these questions then you should seriously consider reading those articles to get clarified. Or if you are using your questions to just prove a point that this command is not a clear one hence can be ignored, then I can only pray for you. Even Jesus himself will not be able to answer you satisfactorily if this is your intention.

Regarding covering the head all the time and all the scenarios that you have posted. These scenarios are all coming into your mind because you are trying to live by the letter and not the spirit. A person living by letter will be a old covenant man (not born again) who sees God as a person who is waiting to point figure at us, looking for areas in which he can catch us. This is the picture of God that your question is giving to readers.

Paul is talking 1 Corinthians 11, in the context of Church. So in Church women are supposed to cover their heads as a symbol to Angels not to Men. If someone wants to always cover their head then that is also Good, let it be according to their faith. But what is important is obeying the command instead of ignoring it.

Also women are asked to be silent in Church in the context of teaching not praying. If it is so then the scripture should contradict itself. But according to Jesus himself, Scriptures do not contradict each other. Hence a women is only prohibited from teaching men in Church. In our Church we allow women to pray publicly and testify publicly. But not teaching. Again we have to look into the spirit of the word.

All most all your questions are valid only when we live by letter and not by spirit. If you seriously experienced a spirit filled life, you will not have such questions. Remember always, Letter kills but spirit gives life.

2015/7/6 1:18Profile

Re:

Is it okay for women to wear table napkins as head coverings with
embroidery in them or should they be woven so that no light penetrates
the cover? Otherwise if light penetrates the cover they are really not covered at all thus disobeying your interpretation of the scripture.

Aslo
Even when a woman lives in disobedience to God by her lifestyle but as long as she wears a head covering when going to a church meeting she is okay right? The Spirit is wiih her because her head is covered right?

2015/7/6 14:24
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Rev-

You have already been asked nicely two times to not raise objections to head coverings. This thread is for those who follow it or want to.

2015/7/6 14:45Profile

Re:

This is a public forum that presents the opportunity to question disputable matters or are the moderators the only ones that can present interpretations of the scriptures with no questions being allowed? Why? Does wearing a head covering mean that much?

Acts 15: 29 English Standard Version
that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”

Where is the head covering here?

2015/7/6 14:52
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Paul anticipated such arguments in 1Cor 11:16. There is nothing new under the sun...

2015/7/6 17:22Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

A very good article; it explains a difficult scripture passage very well. Unterstanding this only becomes a virtue when you follow it.

2015/7/6 17:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy