SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do I respond? 'It will cost you everything' only 4 mature Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did not hear one word in the video about "how" to take up your cross. I think that is the real issue. It is so easy to say such things but the average believer, and even more so unbelievers, have no idea what this means.

Jesus did tell a rich man to sell everything and give to the poor, but he didn't say this to everyone. It appears Peter kept his house and fishing gear.

If the message had some practical advice vs simply saying all the commonly heard hard things I think it would be much more useful.

I am absolutely not advocating any cheap grace message. Like I said in my first post here I agree with 95% of what is said. It is more in how it is said and the lack of any practical instruction that I see as problematic.

2015/5/18 20:55Profile
vsuarez7

Re:

We don't persuade people to follow Jesus. We present Him in the form of preaching/teaching. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin and righteousness. There is no packaging of the message of the cross that will persuade someone to lay down their lives for Him. We are not that smart. Paul said that his preaching and teaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but a demonstration of God power. Again, it is the Holy Spirit that lights upon the Word of God - Jesus - and then reveals Him to the unregenerated heart. Someone might have asked Steve Lawson how they might be saved after hearing this message. This is what happened to Jesus all the time. He did not teach a formula or method. He taught the Law of God, the Way of Truth. Whomever the Father drew to Him, Jesus delivered them.

2015/5/19 11:39Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

vsuarez7, interesting take, why would it then be called the gospel?

2015/5/19 14:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Acts 17:2-4 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.” ***And some of them were persuaded****; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas. (My emphasis)

2015/5/19 15:28Profile
vsuarez7

Re:

I am not sure why it would cease to be the gospel. Jesus said no man comes to Me except the Father draws him. There are many who will hear the gospel and reject it, regardless of how it is said, whether intellectually, or philosophically, or roughly. Many of us have heard of D. L. Moody's story, how he didn't pronounce words properly, he didn't know his church history very well, he didn't quote scripture very well, etc. Yet God used him mightily in Europe to win many souls. This understanding is established: God chooses the weak, the unwise, the non-influential, etc. so that He gets the glory, not mankind. It is not about being so savvy and articulent it is about the Spirit of Truth flowing through us. This is the gospel. It is the way God chooses to reach out to mankind. Through weak, unintelligent people that give themselves to His Word and His will.

2015/5/19 15:35Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

vsuarez7, I have been reading your posts and have found them very refreshing. Be encouraged and keep telling it like it is!

2015/5/19 17:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No one here is disagreeing with the substance of vsuarez's posts- at least not me. I just think he is overstating his case a tad.

It is obvious that God uses weak vessels. But to say there is no place for persuasion when scripture clearly states that Paul's teaching persuaded people is an example of overstatement.

I am 100% in agreement that anointed preaching is how men's hearts are pierced. However, anointed preaching can take many forms.

There is a place for messages like Steve Lawson's. But it follows that his style in that audio clip may not be for all places.

2015/5/19 19:45Profile
carters

Australia

Re:

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to respond and reply.

I approached another maturer sister in Christ, a woman I trust - and she felt that the issue with the video is most likely its TONE.

This is perhaps where liberty has been taken with the presentation. The words are from Christ, which are without fault but the music and tone can come across as angry to some listeners.

I myself have found this sermon jam encouraging but I was glad to step into someone else's shoes to see what the issue was.

I feel at peace within my spirit about this topic now.

Thank you all
IN Him alone,

Sherid

2015/5/20 3:23Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re:

Hi vsuarez7

Amen to your post.

2015/5/30 6:41Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Sherid,

You are going to have to set up a standard by which you post videos. What does the Holy Spirit say to YOU? If we take down every video that disturbs someone, we'll never post anything.

If they leave the group, let them leave the group. I had a pastor years ago that said, "If and when they return they'll have a different spirit." (A spirit to hear.)

Welcome to the world of leading a group of different people!! !!! :)

God bless,
Lisa

2015/5/30 9:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy