NC, USA

Re:

I definitely agree w/ Oracio.

2015/1/16 19:21Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
And the Pharisees charged Jesus with being a "friend of sinners." And Jesus replied to the multitude: "No, these people I just ate dinner with are not my friends as you suppose, but these are just lost souls I'm ministering to. Please don't think these are really my friends." And his dinner guests hung their heads in embarrasement, as they considered Jesus their friend.

(NotTheGospel 15:1 - KJV)

"You are My friends if you do whatever I command you."-John 15:13

I'll stick with Jesus' explanation of who His friends are, thanks ;)

2015/1/16 23:40Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

"Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi's house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him. 16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, "How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?" 17 When Jesus heard it, He said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."-Mark 2:15-17

That and many other passages give us ample evidence that Jesus did not simply have pastime with the lost with no intention of sharing the gospel with them. He clearly told the Pharisees that he came to call sinners to repentance, which implies that as He spent time with the lost that is exactly what he did. That is not bad theology at all. We see Jesus constantly sharing the gospel of the kingdom everywhere He went. That is what He was known for.

Again, the problem is that in this post modern age God's Word has been largely diluted and Christians and churches have made all kinds of excuses for compromising and for not sharing the gospel with the lost.

So as you spend time with your non-believing friends, do you seek to follow in you Savior's footsteps and call them to repentance?

2015/1/17 12:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Jesus spent the first 30 years of his life not sharing the gospel with people. I'm guessing while doing carpentry or construction work, he probably made a few friends, as jobs like that lend itself to friendship. They did things like invite him to dinner parties and weddings. You know, the things he continued to go to after John's baptism.

2015/1/17 13:28Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Jesus spent the first 30 years of his life not sharing the gospel with people.

"And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him. 41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day's journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously." 49 And He said to them, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them. 51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."-Luke 2:40-52

Even in His childhood our Lord was about His Father's business, growing in grace and knowledge of God's Word, and sharing it with others.

I can envision Him sharing God's Word even as a child with both family members and neighbors and/or other acquaintances. His face was set like flint on doing His Father's will and He did not waver from it, even from childhood.

No, not even from the example of our Lord's childhood can we be relieved of our duty to share God's truth with those around us.

2015/1/17 16:28Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

There simply is no evidence from God's Word that Jesus did not share the gospel and/or God's Word or minister to the lost when He attended these certain types of gatherings. Again, there is ample evidence to the contrary. He set the example of constantly sharing God's Word with the lost and we should follow that example.

The reality is that many of us get ashamed or afraid of offending others and that is why we don't share our faith. There are also other reasons and/or excuses we can try to have or make.

I'm not saying everyone is called to do evangelism in the exact same way. But I'm saying every believer is called to share his/her faith with the lost and seek to take advantage of any opportunity they may have to do that.

One of the tasks of those who operate in the office of an evangelist is to equip the church for the work of evangelism, i.e. how to biblically and effectively share their faith.-Ephesians 4:11-12

So while not all are called to operate in the office of an evangelist, all are called to evangelize the lost in some capacity.

2015/1/17 17:08Profile
HereIAm

Re:

Joseph Prince is not a "prosperity preacher." He preaches the Gospel! Does the gospel produce prosperity? Yes it does. Is prosperity evil? No it's not. If you have nothing then you have nothing to give. God wants us to prosper in all things!
Why? So we can be a blessing to others.

2015/1/26 19:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy