SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : FASTING & PRAYER

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Jeremy221

Re:

Regarding my previous comments about the conditions of Derek Prince's weekly fast,he talks about it starting at the 35 minute mark.

Tell us what you see...

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3578

2015/3/24 15:29Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Theophila wrote:
When non-followers of Jesus speak of fasting, I tend to back up a bit. Mainly because fasting for them is a soulish activity, that further establishes them in darkness. Most serious devotees of all false religions fast regularly.

The man in the video was fasting for health and nothing more. Did you watch that portion of the video to see what I was talking about? it was only a min or two long.

I was just comparing the findings of his healthful fast to a follower of Christ's fasting. I know that I've failed in my fastings because my mind was all over the place and not on Christ and the reason I was fasting. I thought it was very ironic that a secular person would find out that any person who was going to fast for whatever reasons needed to make up their mind to do it.

I believe that God speaks through anyone if we want to hear it, maybe that little blurb he spoke was only for me!!

God bless,
Lisa

2015/4/4 7:53Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Derek Prince on fasting

Lisa said,

Quote:
I listened to a sermon on fasting by Derek Prince a couple of years ago and in it he stated that from the time he came to the Lord he felt compelled to fast one day a week. that was in the 1940's. He kept fasting one day a week until he died. He said that he had no doubt that the faithfulness of fasting one day a week led to his ministry that God gave him.

Sorry, I missed this comment. There is another thing he mentions later about a period where he got so busy he stopped fasting for awhile and his ministry lost unction as he was doing for God rather than with God for that period. (As I remember but I'll double check in case.)

In regards to being scattered, I think this is perhaps a symptom of self focus and pride. When I am walking in the Spirit I am very focused but can be painfully scattered and easily distracted when in the flesh.

2015/4/4 9:40Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Lysa wrote:
I listened to a sermon on fasting by Derek Prince a couple of years ago and in it he stated that from the time he came to the Lord he felt compelled to fast one day a week. that was in the 1940's. He kept fasting one day a week until he died. He said that he had no doubt that the faithfulness of fasting one day a week led to his ministry that God gave him.

Jeremy221 wrote back:
Sorry, I missed this comment. There is another thing he mentions later about a period where he got so busy he stopped fasting for awhile and his ministry lost unction as he was doing for God rather than with God for that period. (As I remember but I'll double check in case.)

About Derek Prince... Great minds think alike! (hehehe)

Yes, I remember the part about him not having enough time to fast, so he didn't!! It's around the 37 min mark. He said "... the results were so disastrous that I decided that I could never be to busy to fast." Then he said, "I'm talking about something that I've experienced, do you understand? I believe passionately in what I'm telling you."

I believe that he proves that we do NOT have to "feel" like the Lord wants to us fast, we just need to be obedient in it, especially if we have a ministry that we want to see God operate in.

I'm not saying it's easy, this is what I was trying to say about the secular guy talking about staying focused on the task at hand. A Christian's task at hand is Christ and what He wants done.

God bless,
Lisa

2015/4/4 21:03Profile

Re:

I know this is a bit more natural but some science is saying intermittent fasting can be dramatically beneficial to the body and brain.

If the fast is truly a fast, I think a weekly fast is a novel idea for me right now.

The Orthodox church has regiment fasting schedules which provoked some interest for myself and I was intrigued by it but...I never was motivated to change my tradition (AoG) to Orthodox.

I will be in prayer about this. Thanks guys. This thread has been a blessing. :)

2015/4/5 3:12
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: FASTING & PRAYER

Quote:

“More than any other discipline, FASTING reveals the things that control us.” - Richard Foster

2015/4/26 6:15Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I have been listening to this book:

Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer Towns and WOW is all I can say! It's very thorough.

If you need help for any kind of addictions, to get closer to God, I highly recommend this book. Amazon has the paperbacks for .01 plus 3.00 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Spiritual-Breakthrough-Elmer-Towns-ebook/dp/B00LA9LSUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430043888&sr=1-1&keywords=fasting+for+spiritual+breakthrough

2015/4/26 6:41Profile

Re:

Lysa thanks for sharing that resource. I've looked at a lot of fasting books but I don't think I've ever ran across this one before. It looks like a gem after reading some reviews. I don't think there are many quality books on fasting, this one looks like a different breed. Thanks!!

2015/4/26 18:43
Lysa

East TN for now!

Well, I'm back again!! I wanted to share what I believe the Lord led me to (about 4 or 5 months back), called, "Atomic Power with God, Through Fasting and Prayer" which led me to another book called Addiction control by the same author, Franklin Hall.

(Before you look him up on the internet, he is a spirit-filled believer but his main points are not on that, his main points are getting the children of God free from what ails them! I'm sure you'll find something wrong with him, but if you have ears to hear, you'll also find solid truths in what he is writing.)

/// The addiction creature to which most addicted slaves are hooked. The addict’s fourfold appetite turns to the worship of this untamed 6-headed snake-like, more deadly than beasts, organ. It dominates and hooks the unwary. (See James chap 3) (see back cover).

This is man’s 28 to 30 foot long digestive, intestinal tract. His tongue, at the beginning of this 30 feet long creature contains the seat of Taste Lust buds, where these six heads gratify the FOUR TASTES. The Four Taste Flavors are: (1) sweet things (2) salt (3) sour and (4) bitter things. (See cover)

Man has only four appetites. Three are carnal and is spiritual. He has (1) hunger (2) sex and (3) greed – the carnal appetites. Then the fourth, is the spiritual appetite. He must have God to be happy...

Acquired appetite and the kindling of new desires become more deep seated than realized.

Most remedies and treatises on this subject only scratch the surface and do not really get to the bottom of the situation. To work on the cure of any bad habit, one must go to its source. In this case WE FIND THAT BOTH GOOD AND BAD HABITS ARE LOCATED IN THE GASTRO INTESTINAL CANAL. We must work at its roots outwardly instead of from the surface inwardly.

THE DEEP-ROOTED SMOKING HABIT, TABACCO, ALCOHOLIC, DRUGS AND SEX, ETC. are most quickly and easily eliminated by working on the hunger organ, which is identical with the digestive tract.

Your adverse habit can be completely and quickly be done away with because the author is showing you very plainly and in no uncertain terms how to hit the habit right on the head. To do this is to kill the habit.

From the short pamphlet (book), Addiction Control by Franklin Hall (Results of 40 years of research), 1974. ///

Lisa here. My main take away: when you bring your gut under subjection, you'll bring your lusts under subjection. When you bring your gut under subjection, you'll bring your drug addiction under subjection. When you bring your gut under subjection, you'll bring your religion under subjection.

You want to get free from what plagues you morning, noon and night? Fast with water only, and see how much your kick-back you get from your flesh.

But more on that later!

God bless you all as we seek His holy face!!
Lisa

2018/8/13 5:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy