SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Hal Lindsey's on wife #4

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
No where in scripture will you find covenant marriage being equated to bondage.

The word bondage means to be bound to something or someone. It does not always have negative connotations. For example, we are slaves of Christ and that is a good thing. In the case of a brother or sister being abandoned for good by their marital spouse it is a negative experience to say the least. Paul says in such a case a brother or sister is not in bondage(bound) any longer. They don't have to try to hang on to the marriage or their spouse against their will.

A marriage is binding on both persons as long as there is no adultery or abandonment or if one person dies. If there is adultery, the person cheated on has scriptural permission to file for divorce, but they don't have to. But if they do no one can judge them because it is permitted by God. That's what I get from considering the whole of the New Testament teaching on marriage and divorce. I too have tried to dig deep into the pertinent scriptures and that's what I came up with along with many other Christians and respected Bible teachers/preachers.

2014/11/25 0:01Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Online!
 Re:

Firstly I would like to say to Dave Fella that your testimony is an excellent encouragement and that your obedience to what God spoke to you shows God's most perfect will. I don't agree with all the conclusions that you have subsequently come on this subject, but I do commend your faithfulness to your marriage.

I think there is a danger in discussing the issue of remarriage being permissible or not in some situations as missing the real issue here. The issue in view is the discarding of a wife or husband to replace them with another.

Because some have come to the conclusion from scripture that in certain circumstances a person may be free to marry again does not mean they encourage divorce or that they think that marriage is anything but a life long covenant. They can still hold to a very high view of marriage as binding on their part. However there can be circumstances out of their control that leave them abandoned.

I know folk on either side of this argument that have given very serious study, prayer and consideration to these matters and yet have to different conclusions. However they would all agree that marriage is a lifelong covenant, not to be defiled, but treated with honour.

The issue in view here is the forsaking or putting away of wives to then immediately take another wife and in one example multiple times. This just shows a contempt for the institution of marriage, which God said is a reflection of Christ and His church! This is what makes the whole thing such an abomination. It just throws contempt on God's covenant keeping character with His people. How can anyone respect someone who claims to speak for God who shows such little respect for His covenants.

Even if (and I doubt it) that person had three consecutive wives who committed adultery, it still would be wrong (even if technically permissible) for them to move onto another marriage and not to try and find out why this was happening to them and do all they could to seek for reconciliation, putting God's honour and a good testimony above personal desires.

2014/11/25 5:21Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The issue in view here is the forsaking or putting away of wives to then immediately take another wife and in one example multiple times. This just shows a contempt for the institution of marriage, which God said is a reflection of Christ and His church! This is what makes the whole thing such an abomination. It just throws contempt on God's covenant keeping character with His people. How can anyone respect someone who claims to speak for God who shows such little respect for His covenants.

Well said brother. If we cannot have mercy on those have remarried and use the law to measure then it will be measured back to us in other areas just the same. It is not about legal obeying of the law but a relationship with Jesus Christ through His precious blood that will preserve us.

God will call some remarried couples to separate. But what God has made clean let no man call unclean.

2014/11/25 7:15Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

For those who sincerely desire to know what Jesus meant by what he said in Matthew chapter 19, it is interesting to note the reaction of the disciples when they later discussed privately with Jesus what He had discussed with the Pharasees:

Matthew 19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

They saw CLEARLY what He meant. Then the next words from the mouth of Our Lord cement the issue (of meaning) even MORE solidly:

Matthew 19:11-12 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Some have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake ... Hmmmm ... Think about that ... Ponder it ...

In Mark chapter 9 Jesus CLEARLY states that you would be better off without a hand, a foot, or an eye, than having those body parts to end up in the eternal flames.

If I were in a "situation" as some have come into .... I would much rather become a eunuch and remain in the kingdom of heaven than to become an adulterer.

2014/11/25 7:52Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Heydave ...Because some have come to the conclusion from scripture that in certain circumstances a person may be free to marry again does not mean they encourage divorce or that they think that marriage is anything but a life long covenant. They can still hold to a very high view of marriage as binding on their part. However there can be circumstances out of their control that leave them abandoned.

Thank you brother! you discerned exactly what was on my mind. For the record, I never would condone divorce, why? because I have been in those shoes, not of my own choosing. My X, that has passed now, allowed the devil to defeat her by taking multiple prescription drugs, issued by careless doctors, and listened to her worldly friends while under the influence, and filed for divorce. As some have mentioned, there are multiple reasons divorce occurs, mine, I had no choice she filed, so what does that make me in the eyes of the self righteous?

2014/11/25 10:10Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I too say amen to Heydave's last post!

2014/11/25 10:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Michael wrote:

"In Mark chapter 9 Jesus CLEARLY states that you would be better off without a hand, a foot, or an eye, than having those body parts to end up in the eternal flames.

If I were in a "situation" as some have come into .... I would much rather become a eunuch and remain in the kingdom of heaven than to become an adulterer."

Query: Did God forgive David for stealing Bathsheba from Uriah and getting him killed?

If so, on what basis do you hold that God would not forgive similar crimes today? How could a just God forgive David but not forgive someone today for the same sins? Assuming there is repentance? (And remember David repented but he did not divorce his wrongly acquired wife).

2014/11/25 11:09Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
TMK...How could a just God forgive David but not forgive someone today for the same sins?

Isn't he the same God yesterday, today and tomorrow? that's what I have always heard.

2014/11/25 11:18Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

Did David keep on committing adultery? Was Bathsheba's husband Uriah still alive when David was forgiven?

Repeating the reminders posted by others in this thread ... forgiveness only comes when we confess and forsake our sin.

2014/11/25 11:40Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I think we need to be careful not to downplay the need for church discipline when adultery is committed in a church. Sadly many churches these days do downplay that need and allow ministers to keep ministering shortly after they commit adultery. It shows they have a low view of sin. We must remember that while God is patient with us He also hates sin and deals with it in keeping with His holiness. He has prescribed certain steps of dealing with blatant or scandalous sin in the camp. We must heed that requirement because we don't want to be found among those who approve of or condone sin.

2014/11/25 11:56Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy