SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mountains and the age of the Earth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
back-to-acts

Texas

Re:

I find it hard to believe that when people stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ that they are going to tell Him, " I would of believed in You, only if You would of said the earth was millions of years old!!" Or how about " There were a few seemingly condradictions in scripture here and there and because of that I could not believe in You" That is not going to fly. You get to the heart of someone and you find what the real issue is. And I have yet to find someone in a couple years of street ministry that when you get to their heart, they do not believe because Christians teach that the earth is 6,000 years old. Sorry just a side note.

Travis

2014/10/8 16:40Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Lysa
I dont think it gets any simpler than that!

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Yours Staff

2014/10/8 17:24Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK
On your quote below tells us exactly where you are coming from.Should we then get rid of the other ridiculas areas so that people will consider christianity!
The ridiculas things Like
-Jesus was sinless
-Speaking in Tongues
-Miracles
-Burning bushes,Sea's that divide'etc
-Demons and Devils
etc etc
Where do we stop the compromise so that we look normal!
You cannot Marry up Gods word and Earthly views to make it appear acceptable.
There are many who do not consider Christianity because they view it as ridiculous in areas like this.
---------------------------------------------------------
Yours Staff

2014/10/8 17:33Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

Hi Lisa

The Bible states this very clearly.
Firstly in Genesis1, and then in Exodus 20:11

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Hi TMK

A question.
The bread and fish the Lord multipled, ie created out of nothing, would its matter be the same "age" as the original 5 loaves and 2 fishes? I think so, but it existed for less time .

How do you measure the creation process of matter out of nothing, in time?

2014/10/8 18:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

All I am saying is this:

Most of the best arguments against the creationist viewpoint currently being made by mainstream scientists disappear when we give up our insistence upon a 6,000 or so year old earth. From the standpoint of presenting a strong defense for the Christianity, this has to be considered. Why in the world would we put such heavy emphasis on a doctrine that can deter some people coming to Christian faith when it is less than certain that the biblical data supports the obstacle in question?

It is not fair to state that I am willing to throw out all the supernatural events in the Bible in order to make scripture more "palatable" for unbelievers. Comparing that to this argument regarding old earth/young earth is comparing apples and oranges.

I believe and would tell anyone that God miraculously created the universe out of nothing. I would tell anyone that the miracles in the Bible are true because God is supernatural; after all that is part of who God is. Any reasonable person should have no problem understanding that the position of Christians is that God works miraculously and in fact miraculous events like the incarnation and resurrection are the foundations of our faith. Obviously if they totally rule out the possibility of the miraculous and therefore cannot accept Christianity, so be it.

But I believe that if a person is stumbled by a Christian's insistence on a young earth, then that can prevent them from moving on in the story of redemption. Why would we put that stumbling block in front of people when there is true room for doubt about the age of the earth?

I am not talking about watering down any foundation of the faith. But this issue of the age of the earth is not a foundational truth and I will continue to assert that our insistence that it is does a disservice to potential believers.

2014/10/8 20:19Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
Hi Lysa
I dont think it gets any simpler than that!

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Yours Staff

And again, where does it say 6000 years old? People just "infer" that because of a verse that says 'one day is a 1000 years' but even that is not written in stone or made plain.

And about the dinosaurs... every museum in the world has dino bones coming out the ying yang, that's proves there was millions of them walking, flying and swimming. There would be way more instances of them in the Bible if they lived and walked with the dinos. Just saying.

Bro Staff, the Bible does not say, "you must be born again and believe in a 6000 yr old earth," I am allowed to not believe in young earth and still go to heaven!

God bless you,
Lisa

2014/10/8 22:59Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

5 pages of posts and 1500 views later and both sides of the debate are as entrenched in their view as before.

A. W. Tozer once gave a young man advice about how to deal with the Calvinist Vs Arminian debates at his college and I think it is applicable here:

"You see those fellows over there debating this and that. You let them alone and as for you, you go on with the Lord. Years later you'll discover you've grown by leaps and bounds and you'll find them still arguing over the same topics."

2014/10/9 0:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes Hulsey but if it had been a debate Tozer was interested in he would have been right there in it.

The point to "debating" (i would say we are more discussing) is not necessarily to "win." I am actually unsettled on this issue of the age of the earth- I think it is super old but I am not dogmatic about it and these fellows have given me food for thought.

Let me just make it simple- if an unbelieving friend of mine told me that he just couldn't accept Christianity because he can't believe the earth is 6000 years old, I would tall him he doesn't have to. I would not insist that he must believe this or Jesus cannot be his savior.

2014/10/9 6:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Lysa--

I agree with you about the dinos. The YE response is that they lived somewhere else (even though Mesopotamia was the cradle of life and fossils are found everywhere) or that they were dragons.

The scientist who made the original discovery of the donosaur soft tissue has another explanation that a young earth. I am not insisting her explanation is correct, but it does make sense:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/soft-tissue-found-on-t-rex-explained/

2014/10/9 6:22Profile
back-to-acts

Texas

Re:

Hey TMK,

I completely agree with you on this one. I would do the same thing. The age of the earth is not as important as the Savior of the earth. But, the real issue as to why they cannot or won't believe is not because Christians claim the earth to be 6,000 years old. That may be an imagination or a thought that has captivated their mind to hinder them from believing. And we as the army of The Lord have the power through His Spirit to cast those things down and bring them to the obedience of Christ. We preach Christ crucified!
But if you were to ask that certain individual if they really felt like when they stand before God the excuse they are going to use is, "all of Your church claimed the earth was 6,000 years old and I just could not believe that, so I could'nt believe in You." If the person is honest with themselves they would also understand the foolishness of that.
I think we need to be careful when we stay on the surface level of conversations with un-believers. We must get to the heart of the issue everytime, " they were pricked in their hearts" - not just their intelect.

Travis

2014/10/9 8:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy