SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the rapture and what happens before the rapture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Re:

Hi Savannah! You are actually a member of this site and you believe the rapture is a myth? That's more mysterious that the rapture itself. I would suggest for you to begin reading the Bible. Jn 14:1-3 and 1Thess 4:16-18 is a good place to start. :)

2014/10/13 13:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think savannah does not believe in a pretrib rapture. No big deal there.

I don't either-- I believe there is one rapture when Jesus returns.

2014/10/13 14:38Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

docseth1,

I have been a member of this site for years myself and guess what, I don't believe in the pre-trib rapture either. :)

Like TMK, "I don't either-- I believe there is one rapture when Jesus returns." Amen!

2014/10/13 15:12Profile
staff

Re:

Hi All,
I have come at this subject a few times on the forum not because I am an expert but only because God in his wisdom has given me some scriptural insights.
You cannot understand the end times without understanding Elijah and all that relates to Elijah.The subject includes the typology of Elisha,3 1/2yrs-1260days etc,John the Baptist and the baptism of Jesus.If you you study this you will get insight to the timing and purpose of the rapture.
Also people wrongly think that Christians will be instantaneously removed and in so doing believe that the rapture is not visible.
It is because of this lack of understanding that many people have a negative expectation of what is going to happen.They ignore what the bible clearly says that before the rapture life will be going on as normal.
I too didnt understand until God pointed it out.So I encourage you to study the complete typology of the rapture through the lens of the Elijah story,
Yours Staff
p.s
The answer to your question is "Life goes on as normal" before the rapture for those that dwell on the earth.

2014/10/14 6:28Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The theology of the pre-tribulational rapture is built ENTIRELY on the idea that there are "two peoples of God" with "two different sets of promises" and "two different destinies."

The "scholars and theologians" who have historically held this view have long taught that the doctrine of the pre-tribulational rapture, as quoted from Thesselonians, is more "inferred" than the direct result of extensive exegesis on relevant passages centered around the Second Coming. They believe it is "inferred" because their theology of the "two peoples of God" literally demands a pre-tribulational rapture.

They believe that God has to bring an end to the present church age so He can again deal with the Jewish people. And that God cannot do this unless the church is somehow removed. Thus, every single passage about the Second Coming of Christ is expanded to include a double interpretation that includes the pre-tribulational rapture. It's not that anything in the passages about the return of Christ actually teaches these things. But they see it as a theological necessity, as God has different dealings with humanity, and these dealings cannot happen at the same time, but must be held at different times.

Unfortunatley, a lot of well meaning saints have received such instruction from so-called "prophecy experts," who have taught them that certain passages about the Second Coming are actually describing the pre-tribulational rapture, when in fact, those passages don't. It was only viewed that way from the eyes of such experts because they already had a system in place that demanded it to begin with. But most teaching on the "two peoples of God" theory that Dispensationalists hold to simply flys over the heads of many.

In my opinion, most people who believe the pre-tribulational rapture theology as taught today do so devoid of any historical and theological context. Even though many don't believe in any notion of a "two peoples of God" theory, we still are left with the "theological leftovers" of a Dispensational framework, which has been forgotten by many. But that still hasn't kept this strange doctrine from being taught anyway. The result is that that this doctrine is taught by many, without any connection to the theological system that gave it birth.

Frankly, I think as Christians become increasingly theologically illiteratre, and with sermons becoming increasingly liberal and self-helpish, I think we'll eventually see this doctrine disappear from the American landscape in the next 100 years or so. It'll eventually be relegated as something of a myth. And while there is much that is bad with that in and of itself, as I hate to see one bad doctrine replaced by other bad doctrines, I somewhat welcome the vanishing of this theology.

2014/10/14 8:26Profile
passerby

Re:

Apart from 'apostasy' another related big event is the 'end of time of the gentiles'. Whether this will happen before or during rapture has been proposed.

Luke 21:24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Romans 11:25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

2014/10/14 9:19Profile
staff

Re:

Hi KJ
i think as i said before if you look at the rapture through the lens of
elijah you would have more understanding than just the standard for or against arguements presented about the rspture
urs staff

2014/10/14 10:23Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Hi Staff,

There is nothing in the story of Elijah that connects me with the idea of the Second Coming of the Lord, and the ascending of the saints to meet the Lord as He descends. Nor is there any verse in the Bible that makes a connection to that story and the return of Christ.

As a reuslt, I can't make the connection you've made. There is nothing in the Bible to cause me to do so. Using vague typologies to create primary theological themes is something to do with extreme caution.

2014/10/14 10:45Profile
staff

Re:

Hi
look again the tpyologies are not vague
urs staff

2014/10/14 13:43Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Staff,

Kindly show us. I see zero correlation.