SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Everything that God Allows "Good?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
mattf12486

Re:

A guy from my church had a son who relapsed on drugs and died. He said that he felt as if the devil was using Romans 8:28 to mock him. How could the death of his son work for his good? He later discovered Romans 8:29 which states, "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he be the firstborn among many brethren. He realized that God's purposes for his life were aimed at conforming him to the image of Christ. This man has now started a grief group to help others cope with the loss of their loved ones.
Another verse that comes to mind is Isaiah 55:8-9, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

2014/8/21 10:46Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Let me ask you guys this question:

Is a single grain of sand on Mars good?

2014/8/21 13:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes because God created it. If it some day gums up the works of an astronauts oxygen supply so that he suffocates, it's not so good.

2014/8/21 14:25Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (Hebrews 11:3)

And God saw every thing that He had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.(Genesis 1:31)

IMHO, one single grain of sand on Mars, would be considered good.

A question that comes to mind that one would ask is, how does that one grain of sand benefit me? My answer to that would be is that it just is another proof that there is none good but God and that God is not the author of things that are not good. Everything He made in the beginning He says was very good and I can let God be true but every man a liar when one would speak against God and His creation.

Kind of a long answer but it just gives me comfort in knowing that God is not a liar, He is truth, and we are fearfully and wonderfully made, to think that He would look down on such a sinner as I was and transform me from darkness into the Kingdom of His marvelous light melts my heart as well as blows my mind. I love Him!!!!!!

2014/8/21 14:29Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

So TMK, and I am not trying to pin you in a corner or anything, it is good until it negatively impacts the astronaut?

2014/8/21 19:58Profile
Sree

Jesus's definition of Goodness.

Jesus said in Luke 18:19 that God alone is good and no one else is. So the definition of goodness is to attain the attributes of God like love, patience, purity etc. But people who proclaim Romans 8:28 mostly think that the Goodness referred there is earthly goodness like wealth, health etc. If one's definition of goodness is earthly then he has to acknowledge that God does not bring Goodness in all things because we believes still suffer financial loss, sickness etc.

But if our definition of Goodness is according to what Jesus said that is to attain the characters of our father, then we will acknowledge that all things happen for our good.

2014/8/22 1:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Jesus's definition of Goodness.

havok-

A grain of sand is morally neutral. it just sort of lies there. My astronaut comment was not really serious- i wouldn't blame the grain of sand if it got in there. But if someone intentionally put it in there, we have a different story.

The better question is: "Is a grown man raping a three year old girl good?"

As for you not trying to back me into a corner- I suspect you are but that is okay!

2014/8/22 6:27Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I am really not.

I am just pointing out that the general populace believes that what is "good" is defined not by what God says is good, but by what we perceive is good based on our sense of the morality of the situation.

--------------------------

Let's say you were my boss, and you told me on friday evening on my way out the door that I needed to come in on Saturday and work a 12 hour shift.

Is the instruction you gave me good? For the company, yes. For you, yes. For me, if I have a kid that has a baseball game, probably not.

2014/8/22 9:08Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I agree with Sree on this.

2014/8/22 9:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don't disagree with Sree.

But I believe that certain believers have a hard time calling certain evil things that happen "evil" because, they would argue, that if God **allows** it then it must be good, because God is good.

I think this is twisted thinking and comes from a distorted view of what the "sovereignty" of God actually means.

2014/8/22 9:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy