SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Under Grace, Not Law

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Under Grace, Not Law

John 1:17
For the Law was given through Moses, grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age

Brethren it is the grace of God that not only saves us. But it is the grace of God. that also sanctifies us in our practical walk with Christ. This is why Paul can say that sin shall not be master over us. We are not under law but grace.

According to Titus, God`s grace instructs us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires. God`s grace also teaches us to live sensibly, righteously, and godly in this present age. I do not need to go to Moses for instruction. But go to Christ Himself as led by His Spirit.

This I find far more liberating then going to the code of Sinai.

My thoughts.

Blaine

2014/8/18 19:32
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Under Grace, Not Law

When you say "grace teaches us" what does that mean?

I always thought grace meant "unmerited favor" that is getting something we haven't earned. How does grace "teach" something? I have always thought of grace as a concept not a "force" that does something.

In other words it is BECAUSE of grace that we should live godly lives; it is not grace that does this TO us.

I hope I am being clear because it is a little difficult to explain.

2014/8/18 19:50Profile
brothagary

Re:

oh noooo blain is at it again

2014/8/19 2:38Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

TMK: "I always thought grace meant "unmerited favor" that is getting something we haven't earned. How does grace "teach" something? I have always thought of grace as a concept not a "force" that does something."

A common misunderstanding of biblical grace and which is commonly taught is that it is just underserved favour and confuses it with mercy. However when you study out what biblical grace is you find it is actually something God gives to us in terms of enabling power. That would include power to overcome sin and live a godly life.

A good definition I heard based on biblical use of grace was that 'it is God's power and presence to enable us to be and to do what He want asks us to be and do'.

This of course is undeserved, but it is an enabling power not just a concept.

Taking time to study out grace in the bible is a very beneficial activity.

2014/8/19 5:19Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

I believe unmerited favour is the grace part and then knowing that your salvation is from a Holy God who no longer condemns you for wrong behaviour but will convict you by His spirit. That's the teaching part.

John 16v8 :
And when he has come he will convict the world of sin and righteousness and judgment. I believe it's this conviction of sin without condemnation that teaches us.

When we become saved we are no longer slaves of sin. But we aren't left in a place of not knowing as well, we are now in a position of being a slave to righteousness. I believe spiritually there's no middle ground that anyone can now rest in.

Hey Dave, I thought that what you said about grace being an enabling power is good. Can you come up with anything more on that? A verse or something

2014/8/19 5:33Profile
yuehan

Re:

Quote:
A good definition I heard based on biblical use of grace was that 'it is God's power and presence to enable us to be and to do what He want asks us to be and do'.

This of course is undeserved, but it is an enabling power not just a concept.

Taking time to study out grace in the bible is a very beneficial activity.

That's a very good definition of grace. Grace is indeed God's unmerited favor, and is all about His ability - acting both internally and externally upon us.

Here's a word study on "grace" which I came across recently: http://www.bible-researcher.com/grace.html

2014/8/19 5:56Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Many thanks for that Yuehan.

2014/8/19 7:25Profile

Re:

Was it not Richard Yuri who said grace is divine favor upon the Hunan heart?

Blaine

2014/8/19 8:27
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

I agree with Heydave that grace is more a divine enabling power to overcome sin. It appears that the church is somewhat split on this definition between an enabling power and unmerited favor.

If you do any research on what grace is in evangelical circles you will hear both definitions and at one point I was on the unmerited favor side UNTIL I realized what true biblical repentance is.

Not speaking of anyone here as I do not know your beliefs on this, but I have found that people who see grace as unmerited favor tend to use grace as a license to continue in sinful behavior.

I have seen it, discussed it, and had people excuse their sinful behavior because they said we are under grace and not law.

For me, when I was filled with the Holy Spirit after 9 years of struggling with sin in my own life, I was finally empowered to overcome sin in my own life. Don't get me wrong, I like Paul have to die daily and have not arrived, I know I will not fully be like Him until I see Him face to face.

When I was baptized in the Spirit however, this was an area that the Holy Spirit instructed me in my own life and allowed me to see where much of the church is on this issue.

I could see men preaching easy believism (is that a word?)They would preach a gospel that tells people to just believe in God but Repentance was missing from this Gospel.

1 John speaks of Gods commandments in the OP that was raised. Chapter 3 deals with people who continue, abide, and practice sin on an ongoing basis as someone who has never seen or known God, they are simply not His.

This is the problem as far as I have witnessed in much of Christendom. This idea that grace covers sin. As I said in the OP Paul says shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?

For Paul also when he was being tormented by a messenger of satan who was sent to buffet him he lists in chapter 11 of 2 Corinthians what that buffeting included, that Gods grace or enabling power was sufficient to endure the affliction, persecution, etc..

Many times we can talk past one another on a subject like this, but again for me, the danger and misunderstanding of what grace actually is, is a major difference between heaven and hell and it is a very serious subject.

I know I cannot keep the law in order to be saved, but by Gods grace, I can keep the law because I am saved. By the law, I speak of the 10 commandments. Many are of a different opinion on this I am well aware. BTW, I do sin, not in an abiding, continuing, or usual practice way. But there are times when the adversary snares me, but when I do sin, I feel terrible, lose sleep, and I am grieved to the uttermost, UNTIL, I get right with God, repent and confess the sin.

As far as unmerited favor is concerned, that is my understanding as the definition of mercy.

2014/8/19 8:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I still do not believe that grace is a "power". When the Bible talks about grace enabling us I believe it is another way of saying that God or the HS is enabling us, because He is gracious.

For example it is said that if a person is following The Lord and he is going to be martyred for his faith that God will give him the grace to endure it.

But is that not just another way of saying that God will strengthen him in the time of trial? Grace isn't a "substance" like gatorade that God puts into us. I believe it is just a manner of speaking about how God favors His children.

This may be what heydave is saying but I am not sure. It may be a matter of semantics.

2014/8/19 8:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy