Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Criticizing and Faultfinding

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Criticizing and Faultfinding

[b]Criticizing and Faultfinding[/b]

The average Christian is the most piercingly critical individual known. Criticism is one of the ordinary activities of people, but in the spiritual realm nothing is accomplished by it. The effect of criticism is the dividing up of the strengths of the one being criticized. The Holy Spirit is the only one in the proper position to criticize, and He alone is able to show what is wrong without hurting and wounding. [b]It is impossible to enter into fellowship with God when you are in a critical mood. Criticism serves to make you harsh, vindictive, and cruel, and leaves you with the soothing and flattering idea that you are somehow superior to others.[/b] Jesus says that as His disciple you should cultivate a temperament that is never critical. This will not happen quickly but must be developed over a span of time. You must constantly beware of anything that causes you to think of yourself as a superior person.

There is no escaping the penetrating search of my life by Jesus. If I see the little speck in your eye, it means that I have a plank of timber in my own (see Matthew 7:3-5 ). Every wrong thing that I see in you, God finds in me. Every time I judge, I condemn myself (see Romans 2:17-24 ). Stop having a measuring stick for other people. There is always at least one more fact, which we know nothing about, in every person’s situation. The first thing God does is to give us a thorough spiritual cleaning. After that, there is no possibility of pride remaining in us. I have never met a person I could despair of, or lose all hope for, after discerning what lies in me apart from the grace of God.

We see where other people are failing, and then we take our discernment and turn it into comments of ridicule and criticism, instead of turning it into intercession on their behalf. God reveals this truth about others to us not through the sharpness of our minds but through the direct penetration of His Spirit. If we are not attentive, we will be completely unaware of the source of the discernment God has given us, becoming critical of others and forgetting that God says, ". . . he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death." Be careful that you don’t become a hypocrite by spending all your time trying to get others right with God before you worship Him yourself.

If you have been shrewd in finding out the shortcomings of others, remember that will be exactly how you will be measured. The way you pay is the way life will pay you back. (With what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you Matt 7:2)

(-You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Ro. 2:1-)

Romans 2:1 applies it in even a more definite way by saying that the one who criticizes another is guilty of the very same thing. God looks not only at the act itself, but also at the possibility of committing it, which He sees by looking at our hearts. To begin with, we do not believe the statements of the Bible. For instance, do we really believe the statement that says we criticize in others the very things we are guilty of ourselves? The reason we see hypocrisy, deceit, and a lack of genuineness in others is that they are all in our own hearts. The greatest characteristic of a saint is humility, as evidenced by being able to say honestly and humbly, "Yes, all those, as well as other evils, would have been exhibited in me if it were not for the grace of God. Therefore, I have no right to judge."

Jesus said, "Judge not, that you be not judged" ( Matthew 7:1 ). He went on to say, in effect, "If you do judge, you will be judged in exactly the same way." Who of us would dare to stand before God and say, "My God, judge me as I have judged others"? We have judged others as sinners— if God should judge us in the same way, we would be condemned to hell. Yet God judges us on the basis of the miraculous atonement by the Cross of Christ.

--Oswald Chambers

------

Jonathan Edwards, by the way, wrote a powerful convicting piece on evidences of spiritual pride and this is one of seven that he listed, fault-finding.

He said, "Spiritual pride causes us to speak of other people's sins while humility disposes us either to be silent about them or to speak about them with grief."

He said, "The spiritually proud person shows that in finding fault with other saints, "They're low in grace, how cold and dead they are, how quick to discern and to notice their deficiencies."

And we can do that and sound so pious, so spiritual. "So and so- they're so cold; they're so dead." Is that a reflection of pride in our hearts?

He says, "Christian humility causes a person to take notice of everything that is good in others and make the best of it and to diminish their failings."

He said, "The truly humble Christian has so much to do at home and sees so much evil in his own heart that he's not apt to be very busy with other's hearts" - fault-finding.

[b]Here is a great article called[url=http://www.reviveourhearts.com/pdf/EvidencesOfPride.pdf] 41 Evidences of Pride[/url][/b]

I read this article this morning and really pondered on it, of what I was truly guilty of. I think it is important to not just skim over these but say "if I am guilty of this, I need to change."

Lord, search our hearts. If I have been critical, but in myself there is still pride (even spiritual pride), I am a hypocrite. Instead of focusing on others faults, help us to see our own faults and impress on us the urgency to work on them on them. Help us to walk humbly before You.

In His love, chanin

2005/4/21 9:09Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Criticizing and Faultfinding

Quote:

moreofHim wrote:
[b]Criticizing and Faultfinding[/b]
Instead of focusing on others faults, help us to see our own faults and impress on us the urgency to work on them on them.

I do understand we should not keep focused 100% of our time on others faults or be critical all the time your right! but as the verses instruct below Every believer has the obligation to test others by their fruits.

Matthew 7 passage carefully. It is not a comprehensive injunction against any judgment, just against the wrong kind of judgment. In fact, Every believer has the obligation to test others by their fruits. Matthew 7:15-20 says, Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

2005/4/21 9:56Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Yes, we can test their fruits, how can we not if we have discernment- but wouldn't it be more beneficial to go to God first about it than use it is gossip? It also has to do with the motives of the heart.

Everyone will have their turn at the judgement seat. I want to spend my time making sure my fruit is good. I am responsible for my walk with the Lord, I am not responsible for someone elses walk with the Lord. Though I can pray and intercede for them.

Why is it that when we bring up the subject of criticizing, instead of first looking into our hearts and asking if we could be wrong (i have come from a very critical background- so I KNOW I have been wrong) why are we so quick to make excuses for why it's ok to judge and criticize.

I think if we would take all this to heart, we might be too busy trying to become more Christ-like and not have hardly any time for finding fault with others. At least that is what I hope for myself.

When we get to the judgement seat, I doubt the Lord will say "Chanin, you did a really good job there with your judging. You brought them down and exposed them. Yeah!" No, I am more fearful that He will be inspecting MY fruit.

Though there is a place for judging all things, it is not for gossip or light talk and humor. I think we have interpreted this many times in our own way so that we can justify our actions and words.

I want to keep my eyes focused straight ahead on Jesus. All of these other things, criticizing, faultfinding, etc... just gets our focus Off Jesus and following Him.

In His love, Chanin

[b]edit: I encourage anyone that replies to first read [url=http://www.reviveourhearts.com/pdf/EvidencesOfPride.pdf]41 Evidences of Pride[/url] and ponder them- then respond :-) [/b]

2005/4/21 10:30Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

timing

Hi Chanin thanks once again.

Your timing is always greatly 'suspect' in the purest sense of the word, happily suspect :-)

Especially after the long rant just posted from yours truly. Will give this whole link a read again, seem to recall it.

But just wanted to parrot off Mr.Bill here with this in mind:

Quote:
or to speak about them with grief."

What jumps up is in how things "sound" especially in our writings here amongst ourselves. We can read them and it [i]seems[/i] to be nothing more than criticism, ill intent, or even a needless bashing. At other times the tendencies are to 'soften' things to make them more palatable or even as a mask to give it a nice 'Christian' sense of being kind and not prideful. It's difficult to ascertain sometimes what or more like where these things are stemming from, but I pray that we don't have to feel compelled not to speak for the reason of being misunderstood...

Criticism or concern? Sometimes it is from the wrong motives and is just that, pride. And just as well if we do look at our own selves I don't know how any of us could ever open our mouths ever again, there is always something that reflects back unto ourselves. Couldn't an equal cop-out be to not say anything at all that could be misconstrued and the fear of just that, that the possibility of being misunderstood, the fear of man or worse that an idea of a 'badge' we wear because the rest of the world and the vast masses of Christianity is being mislead and "we" know better...seems to come from the same smelly stew.

Never go away from here without a sense of concern that I may have spoken wrongly and a prayer that if I am off that it would be corrected or brought to light. "Who am I to say such things?"

Who am I...period.?!

There has certainly been times where the anger has risen up and playing around with the 'righteous indignation' is a bit like dynamite, we can fool ourselves by using it as a justification, I know I have before, one look at some of the BH rantings would show where I had gone off the rails. Just hope we can all keep a right grasp on things and always be ready to be quick to forgive and ready and willing to admit where we are wrong and apologize when we have been in the wrong...otherwise we have definitely missed it.

2005/4/21 10:53Profile

Re: timing

Once again, I concur with crsschk's post. Very good word, brother.

Many times people like myself get called on the carpet for "fault-finding" and critisizing. If I looked at other believers and pointed out their sins all the time, without ever dealing with mine, then I would be guilty. (And in my personal life off of this site, I probably am guilty of this from time to time)

However, I try and be very careful about what I discuss on here. I can only speak for myself, but when I discuss a heresy, or a false teacher, I think you will find that I try my best to remain focussed on the [b]teaching[/b] more than the [i]teacher[/i]. I have been very gracious to Benny Hinn as a man... and thats not easy to do! There are times when a teacher has publicly disgraced the name of God... and that needs to be discussed in a manner that brings healing and repentance.

There is a fine difference, as crsschk, pointed out between critisism and concern. It's an attitude, a heart matter. What may seem like critizism to some, may actually be righteous concern for other believers.

Krispy

2005/4/21 11:15
moreofHim

Re: timing

Quote:
or to speak about them with grief

Hi Mikey! I think David Wilkerson would be an excellent example of one who "judges" things aright. You can tell his heart is grieved and he just wants his Lord to be glorified.

I have a very deep concern that SI not look like a tabloid newspaper. I know someone mentioned what message boards were for- but SI is different and for good reason. I think most of us here want to grow in Christ-likeness.

There are many people who may come to SI and they will "see" our fruit by the words we say (write). By our grace and truth, we may draw those in who may never have experienced these kinds of sermons or truth. (Even catholics :)

The more "truth they hear/see, the more likely they will see error. Not always i am sure.

But, as you say, there is a difference between a Godly concern over the sheep and the glory of God-- and just judging, critcizing and faultfinding just for it's own sake.

I am finding even in my own life, how important it is to show my children that it is better to walk humbly before God and to keep our comments to ourselves and between us and God.

I am simply amazed at how my oldest daughter can discern what is "not of Him" simply because we focus on what "IS of Him." Of course, when issues come up and she starts to discern, we discuss why but never in a "we are so much better or spiritual than they", "we" know the truth and they just don't get it".

It is a time to show that it is a grievous thing for the Lord and our heart must go out to those who don't know and practice the truth by praying for them.-
Even as Moses prayed for the complaining Israelites in the wilderness. yes, they were wrong, yes, they were stubborn,but he cared about them and loved them enough to ask God to spare them.

I hope that we love those who we criticize enough to intercede for them and to care about them- for real! not just in words and being spiritually correct.

I am all too aware of hypocrites in the church. I hope that we are blameless before we criticize.
I don't ever want to be a hypocrite. God says He hates a hypocrite. That is one of my biggest fears. Lord, let me be found blameless- especialy in this area!

In His love, Chanin

2005/4/21 11:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Shared sentiment

Thanks again Chanin, of the many things here this:

Quote:
I have a very deep concern that SI not look like a tabloid newspaper. I know someone mentioned what message boards were for- but SI is different and for good reason. I think most of us here want to grow in Christ-likeness.

Had picked up on that thought earlier from the same comment and found what he said to be true yet with this hopeful difference, a want to grow. Which brings forth all kinds of struggle and challenges at times, to previously held constructs, certain traditons, 'camps' and so forth. But to be redundant it also is what makes it wonderfully possible to find some true unity in the Body without breaking off into another sect or denominational line. Still chuckle upon reflection of some comments made quite awhile back that "we" were 'obviously' pentecostal/charismatic as if this was all that easy to box us into. If there was any tag that I would welcome it would be just Bible believing followers of Jesus and with that, that everyone would feel welcome here, just be prepared to be challenged on what you may hold dear, because we do indeed care, it's why we are so vocal about it.

And about the tabloid, ah you hit that raw nerve there, something that likely many are tired of hearing me snivel about, just hope that there is some kind of balance and again the urge to explore. There is just so many great things in these pages, in these sermons, in all the sharing that goes forth from amongst the Brethren...
Those last couple of links Ron (Philologos) put up just a case in point or even this one below from you Chanin. There is no lacking in the sense of sharing and wanting to be of some help around here and for that I praise God.

Quick edit:
By the way Krispy, had you very much in mind earlier here my friend. It is a want of patience from us all, an asking for clarification and as I believe it was 'Angyl' who had made the aforementioned comment about what message boards were for, understanding that and the 'difference' around here, he is right in not jumping to conclussions, something hopefully we all are getting a little better at day by day. Thanks brother, your heart is shining through...

2005/4/21 12:06Profile

Re:

Thanks, more of Him for this post. I couldn't agree with you more. I am saddened that a website like this has turned into what it has. That is why I will no longer be participating in these forums. In the past I have referred people to this site, now I'm not sure I will be doing that anymore. You hit the nail on the head when you said if we have concern we need to go to God on behalf of those we are concerned with. Anything less than that is not Christ-like. Jesus demonstrated one thing at the cross, and that was forgiveness and mercy. I know I need it everyday and He is faithful to give it. I really agree with the Matthew 7 verse stating that in the manner we judge, we will be judged. I needed to hear that! Thanks! May the peace of the Lord be with you all!

2005/4/21 12:27
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I don't understand pij post, can someone help me out here I just got in from work been a hard day in the A/C Business "hot and humid" so I am somewhat brain dead. :-?

2005/4/21 17:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am saddened that a website like this has turned into what it has

Amen. I have felt the same way. As I have prayed for SermonIndex I have grown increasingly concerned.

Quote:
That is why I will no longer be participating in these forums

At this point I am considering the same thing. I am convinced that division is a great enemy of revival and unfortunately much of the conversation in the forums here is more divisive than edifying...

My hunger for revival grows every day...and I am truly grateful the sermons i have discovered here at sermonindex. However, my longing for revival is the very reason I feel so discouraged with this forum. I am convinced that the judging and criticizing of people is not of God.

Those who are zealous for truth are in danger of going to the extreme...and only adding to the division in Christ's church.

Ravenhill (in "Why Revival Tarries") says, "Beloved, let us put away all trifling. Let us forget denominational issues. Let us give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the Word..."

We are trifling when we should be praying. What an incredible resource this site is of sermons - wouldn't it be wonderful if it was a meeting place for prayer? If from this site people from all over the world began 'meeting' for prayer...

I am convinced that the divisiveness and trifling counters any work of revival.

I am sorry for being so bold (I hope I have not stepped out of place - please know that I deeply respect our administrator), but I believe this needs to be said. I too am a sinner...so feel free to pass over this post - who am i to say this? No one. Just someone who's hungry for revival.

Whether I leave or not I will continue to pray for SermonIndex and I will continue to meet with my brothers at 10 PST for prayer.

God blessings on everyone.

Stephen

2005/4/21 22:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy