SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Pure Milk of the Word

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Of course they are brother bear, but what would make your insights better than theirs if they are godly Spirit-filled men? Why should I only listen to your insights brother? That's what I'm trying to get at.

2014/7/6 18:23Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Previously I mentioned a Bible teacher I really like. The reason is that when he teaches he does not have a particular agenda. He is not afraid to explain the various ways that verses have been interpreted without stating explicitly which view he thinks is correct although he will give his opinion as to which view he thinks is best supported by scripture.

If I had a commentary that did the same thing; I.e. It did not approach scripture from a reformed or arminian viewpoint or a futurist v preterist viewpoint or a charismatic vs cessationist viewpoint I think it would be awesome. In other words if it laid out ALL the views without preferring any, it would be helpful.

2014/7/6 18:41Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

TMK, I'm sure many of us have heard the expression, "chew and feast on the meat, spit out the bones." And I'm sure many of us can testify to times when we heard or read something and said, "My spirit doesn't bear witness to that", or,"That is the truth!"

2014/7/6 20:03Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I am convinced that in these days there is definitely a need for authoritative teaching or preaching of God's Word. That is what separates true preachers of righteousness from speculators or motivational speakers. Of course, it must be in accordance with sound doctrine.

2014/7/6 20:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

True-- for those of us who have been around the block-- but for a new believer it would be vet easy to get entrenched in a certain way of thinking depending on what study bible they are using. It definitely happened to me.

2014/7/6 20:46Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

True TMK. And on the other hand there is the danger of new believers being exposed to and deceived by serious error such as WOF, which is what happened to me. I would rather for any new believer to learn from either Calvinists or Arminians than serious heresies. In the early church the gift of teaching was very useful in the discipling of new believers. And it is not less useful or needful today I'd say, because the Lord is still using that gift mightily for the building up of His Church.

2014/7/6 21:04Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I came across this brief devotional article by Andrew Murray on that passage in 1 Peter 2 which I thought gives great insights on that passage so I thought I'd share the link to it here. Not to take away from the OP though because I do think brother Blaine's insights there are good too for the most part except for my disagreement on the use of other resources:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=263

2014/7/6 23:22Profile
brothagary

Re:

i love you to blain ,,and would rather fellowship with you rather then a milion luke warm hipachristians

oraco im in total agreement with you

what is a comonetary ,,ist it just one mans interpratation of scripture ,,,,,no if mens interprartions are not nesary,,then it is not nesary for me to listen to any one here who preachs what they think the holy sripture ,,i dont need need to none of rantings mmi got me bible and i know better then ya all becasue i have the holy spiirt ,,and the bible says a dont need a teacher

as a mater of fact ,,we dont need to preach the gopsle either we can just give out bibles and let god do the rest ,,if he is going to save and teach peeople the gosple ,,,he will do it with out me

you know what that sounds like a hypacalvinism approch to teaching ,,,thats what the hypacalies said we dont need to preach the gosple ,,gods spirit will do all the work

wile i was typing a vesre came to mind ,where jesus comands his deciples to make deciples of all the nations teaching all things that he has comanded them

what was one of his comands,,, to teach them everything he said

it is part of the great comision teaching and evangeliseing ,,it is not to be seperated

blessings

2014/7/7 3:58Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Every man is a product of his environment in a natural sense and a spiritual one.

We all get born into a culture, a way of doing things, a way of being a family, everyone.

Added to that, everyone follows someone, everyone. Its the way God works generation to generation to generation. We look for those who see things the same way we do, and within that context there will be those who seem to be pillars in the church.

When someone is born again they have no idea about strange fire, benny Hinn, or Mike Brown.

Its the older brothers and sisters in the faith who open their eyes to the realities of the spiritual dynamic in which we live.

This is not bad, this is the way families operate. It affords some degree of protection for babes in Christ.

Every commentary has its own bent, but in saying that there are some which are universally accepted as being of more spiritual substance than others. By and large you can't go pretty much wrong with what they say.

A good question to ask is if someone who was just born again, what would be the first thing that i taught them? Would it be the centrality of Christs work or an expose' on the merits of TULIP.

2014/7/7 6:58Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Exactly brothagary. I also think we can be in danger of belittling one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit which is undoubtedly in operation today, namely the gift of teaching.

Some well-meaning believers refer to 1John 2:27 which says we do not need anyone to teach us to support this view of doing away with teaching. But whatever that verse means it cannot mean doing away with the sound teaching of God's Word because that would be a clear contradiction of many passages that encourage the gift of teaching.

ZekeO, I am totally with you on that.

2014/7/7 10:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy