SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 17

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"We need to be Christ-centred again. To position ourselves for God's new thing, we've got to get rid of all these sectarian denominational idols - they've got to go! They don't represent God, they are not where He is. He's not into earthly kingdoms." - David Legge

2015/3/9 12:44Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

And so I have made it my aim to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build on another man's foundation, but as it is written: "To whom He was not announced, they shall see; And those who have not heard shall understand."
Romans 15:20-21

2015/3/10 14:49Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

I will open Africa up to the gospel or die trying."
Rowland Bingham (1872-1942), founder of SIM

2015/3/10 15:18Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

"I want to remind the committee that within six months they will probably hear that one of us is dead. But when that news comes, do not be cast down, but send someone else immediately to take the vacant place."
Alexander Mackay (1849 –1890) missionary to Uganda

2015/3/10 15:28Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

"Though many missionaries may fall in the fight, yet the survivors will pass over the slain into the trenches and take this great African fortress for the Lord."
- Johan Krapf, missionary to East Africa, lost his wife and two children within months of arriving in Africa.

2015/3/10 16:54Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

"The way I see it, we ought to be willing to die. In the military, we were taught that to obtain our objectives we had to be willing to be expendable. Missionaries must face that same expendability."
- Nate Saint, missionary pilot, martyred along with four others evangelizing the Huaorani of Ecuador.

2015/3/10 17:03Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

An effective missionary needs to be a person who diligently studies the Bible to discover God’s Will and who is determined to obey it. Obedience is the best commentary on the Bible. As Martin Luther said, "I rather obey than work miracles!"

From this foundation of prayerful study of God’s Word needs to develop true Christian character. This cannot be hastily done. Steadfast Christian character is the product of years of prayer and Bible study and the cultivated habit of responding to God’s Word in repentance, faith and obedience.

It involves a teachable heart and a willingness to accept rebuke and discipline. This is absolutely essential in missionary service because of the difficult tasks required, in the often harsh climates and inhospitable terrains, with the inevitable cross-cultural confusions and misunderstandings – mistakes and failures are inevitable. Resolving inter-personal disputes, overcoming obstacles and enduring criticisms are all part of the job description.

The measure of a person’s real character is how he works when no-one is watching. If you choose an act, you create a habit, if you create a habit, you shape a character. If you shape a character, You determine a destiny. As D L Moody said: "If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of itself."

And one of the marks of Christian character is integrity – the unshakeable commitment to be true to one’s word. This is important because missions are built upon relationships of trust. We have a sacred trust to honour – with God, the churches and supporters who send us out and those to whom we are sent. There must never be any doubt that you as a Christian missionary will be true to your word, keep your promises and fulfill all your obligations.

Finally, willingness to go. Gladys Aylward, missionary to China, expressed it this way:
"I wasn’t God’s first choice for what I’ve done for China . . . I don’t know who it was . . . It must have been a man . . . a well-educated man. I don’t know what happened. Perhaps he wasn’t willing . . . And God looked down . . . and saw Gladys Aylward . . . And God said – ‘Well, she’s willing!’"

2015/3/10 17:23Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"We wish to place on record our solemn conviction that not all who are Christians or think themselves to be such, will attain to that resurrection of which St. Paul speaks in Phil. 3:12." - Hudson Taylor

2015/3/12 14:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

“The only real argument against the Bible is an unholy life. When a man argues against the Word of God, follow him home, and see if you cannot discover the reason of his enmity to the Word of the Lord. It lies in some sort of sin.” - Ray Comfort

2015/3/12 18:28Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

'Oh, for a 1000 tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise, a 1000 hands to serve Him, a 1000 feet to follow Him, & a 1000 lives to give Him." - Paul Washer

2015/3/12 20:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy