SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How Can I Be Sure of My Salvation? by John MacArthur

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Brothergary it seems that we are in agreement. :-)

2014/6/30 14:54Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psa 119:17
GIMEL
Deal bountifully with Your servant,
That I may live and keep Your word.

Psa 119:18
Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.

Psa 119:19
I am a stranger in the earth;
Do not hide Your commandments from me.

Psa 119:20
My soul breaks with longing
For Your judgments at all times.

Man cannot see with his eyes nor can he improve according to the law. We all begin condemned by the law and we as Paul in Roman's 7 find that our struggle is hopeless without God's grace. That grace is extended to man through the work of the Holy Spirit. One can live many years in Roman's 7 and some according to Scripture never escape the condemnation. Instead, because they choose to live according to the law, they experience a growth in a negative way. They grow more bitter and more harsh in their view of others. They resemble those who Jesus called hypocrites and white washed tombs. They never enter into an understanding which the writer of Psalm 119 testifies of.

2014/6/30 15:02Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Man cannot see with his eyes nor can he improve according to the law. We all begin condemned by the law and we as Paul in Roman's 7 find that our struggle is hopeless without God's grace. That grace is extended to man through the work of the Holy Spirit.

Read this earlier today and part of your post reminded me of it..

Repentance is a grace. Some people preach it as a condition of salvation. Condition of nonsense! There are no conditions of salvation. God gives the salvation himself… by Charles Surgeon

Repentance is a grace - extended to man through the work of the Holy Spirit.

2014/6/30 19:32Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: excuse me...

"Some preach that repentance is a condition of salvation."

Good point. Jesus is in good company!

Charles Spurgeon may have been a great man of God and a mighty preacher, but to say there are no conditions of salvation is either grossly out context or a blatant endorsement of universalism.

We have work to do...

2014/6/30 19:45Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: We have work to do...

Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. Acts 11:18.

So what is this work?

2014/6/30 21:25Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Joh 6:26  -29

Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Salvation is by faith and faith alone.

It is found in Christ and Christ alone.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

No one asks for a savior unless they realize they are in need of rescue.

You can't believe on Jesus and not repent.

2014/6/30 21:51Profile
Sree

Re:

Repentance is granted to us by God no question about that. God has to melt our hard heart by his love to repent. But Repentance has to be preached. Today's Church has not preached repentance enough. John The Baptist preached it, Jesus preached it, Apostles preached it, why only now people are coming up with theologies saying preach only Jesus and not repentance? This is because they do not want to offend their Church members who contribute money by preaching repentance.

God has always united faith and repentance. What God has united let no man separate.

2014/6/30 23:09Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: As to the work to be done

I would contend that it is ludicrous to suggest repentance is granted by God, that is nowhere in scripture or reason. Repentance is what convicted sinners do when they have been awakened to their sin, overcome with the realization that they are living as criminals before God.
(To clarify, God does not grant repentance per se, but grants time in His mercy to some that they might come to that obedience.)

Repentance rather is ACCEPTED by God, evidence that faith is working in that awakened, convicted sinner. God sees that repentance, that turning from sin as our part of the salvation covenant and is thus able to pardon the sin.

God, as the moral governor, cannot pardon sin without that repentant heart! Otherwise the whole kingdom of righteousness collapses in chaos.

This is the heart of the word where He is not willing that any should perish, but all should come to repentance. There could have been a lot of other words inserted there... but they weren't.

"The word is not in heaven that you should ask, 'Who then shall ascend to heaven to bring it down to us, or who shall descend to the pit to bring it up? But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart!'"

We are so steeped in Roman Catholic tradition and Calvinistic restraint! We can't see that God waits and expects us to seek Him, find Him, obey Him, fulfill our obligations to Him!

Ezekiel cried out from his prophetic anointing, "Get yourself a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die O house of Israel??" (18:31)

You think you are going to wait for God to send you repentance as if it were some gift or special blessing? A warm feeling? A doctrine to write down in the back of your bible?

You will wait a very long time. True repentance is directly in front of you, to be taken with deadly seriousness today, right now, before you do anything else!

"Search me and know me O God, and see if any wicked way hides within me!"

And know this, you who scoff at this desperate call to repent, that those who obey God and turn from their sin will be filled with unspeakable joy!

True happiness is right there on the other side of repentance, and when repentance becomes fixed in your soul, the joy will never be displaced.

2014/7/1 0:03Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I would contend that it is ludicrous to suggest repentance is granted by God, that is nowhere in scripture or reason.

2 Timothy 2:24-The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Corinthians 7-Godly sorrow produces repentance.

See I do not believe that we should not preach repentance or should not preach about sin. Jesus said if your brother sins then rebuke him. He did not say that wait until God grants him repentance. We should do our part of preaching repentance and trust in God to grant repentance to those who do not resist him. The fact that we believe in Repentance as a condition for salvation does not nullify what the scripture says about God granting repentance.

2014/7/1 2:41Profile
brothagary

Re:

sree you beat me to it

the bible says clearly gods grant repentence and deals to each many the measure of faith ,,,but at the ame time we must repenet and we must have faith ,,,it is dielecly delma ,,gods sovernty in salvation,, and mans responsability ,,,to sides to the coin

and like sree said we still need to preach to men to repent and have faith

2014/7/1 3:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy