SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is absolute surrender?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is absolute surrender?

The short post below is my reply to a sister in Christ who asked on my site ” What does absolute surrender look like?” I thought it worthy of a post since it is such a great question……bro Frank

I believe absolute surrender comes at genuine salvation. It is a hearts attitude that says to God " I give you my life, my whole life, holding nothing back." I then believe that sanctification is a process whereby God takes what has been freely given to Him. We are not now our own, we have been bought by a price, the blood of Jesus. The more we give to God, the more we live out that surrender actually. The more we empty ourselves of the things of this world and the flesh, the more the world will see Jesus. We must decrease and He must increase. Yet, the work is all the Lord's and He gets all the glory. He does this work for his will and good pleasure. He heals, He restores He replaces the things that the locusts have devoured, He refines. He, through the Holy Spirit sanctifies, we surrender. So, ultimately surrender is a response to God. How we respond determines how we live and how we glorify God, which is our chief end in this life.....bro Frank

2014/6/13 15:33
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: What is absolute surrender?

I believe absolute surrender comes at genuine salvation. It is a hearts attitude that says to God " I give you my life, my whole life, holding nothing back."

--

Amen. I believe perhaps the hard thing is to stay there especially when we are being conformed into the image of the Son.

2014/6/13 15:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

"From this day forward, I am enlisted in His service. I offer Him my fortune, my sword, and my life. And this I pledge to you on my honor as a Roman."

Marcellus Gallo, The Robe

2014/6/13 15:58Profile

Re:

Greg writes......

"Amen. I believe perhaps the hard thing is to stay there especially when we are being conformed into the image of the Son."

Re-read the post Greg and see if you think it speaks to your point above. One of the points of my short post is that you would not want to stay at the starting point. If the starting point is a genuine regeneration, you will go on and be sanctified, moving from babe in Christ drinking the milk, to a mature saint eating the meat................Frank

2014/6/13 16:07
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

Sorry to bring any confusion. I simply had in my mind of being on the Altar Romans 12:2 and staying there hurts as God's holy fire burns away our dross and fills us with His life. That is why I said to stay in the place of "absolute surrender" is hard at times.

I know Smith Wigglesworth said that if we are not progressing in our walk with the Lord on any given day we are backsliding, I agree with this. Sorry to bring any confusion, I think we are saying the same thing in slightly different ways brother.

2014/6/13 16:24Profile

Great post, thanks brother Frank.

What are the scriptures that point to the need or the command for "absolute surrender"...Romans 12:2 as Greg pointed out is one for sure...are their other specific scriptures/commands that we could list...I would find that very helpful if someone had the time?

2014/6/13 16:42
mattf12486

Re:

2 Corinthians 5:15
and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.

2014/6/13 17:25Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Absolute surrender does come at genuine salvation and I also believe that we must "keep" choosing to surrender throughout our life also but you stated it better!

I like what you said but if I could humbly add what Andrew Murray wrote on it, I'd like that. I do not mean to take anything away from what you have written.

God bless you, brother!!
Lisa

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/murray/surrender.html

Quote:
Page 1, first 2 paragraphs:
ABSOLUTE SURRENDER

"And Ben-hadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged Samaria, and warred against it. And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the city, and said unto him, Thus saith Ben-hadad, Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine. And the king of Israel answered and said, My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine and all that I have" (1 Ki. 20:1-4).

What Ben Hadad asked was absolute surrender; and what Ahab gave was what was asked of him--absolute surrender. I want to use these words: "My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine, and all that I have," as the words of absolute surrender with which every child of God ought to yield himself to his Father. We have heard it before, but we need to hear it very definitely--the condition of God's blessing is absolute surrender of all into His hands. Praise God! If our hearts are willing for that, there is no end to what God will do for us, and to the blessing God will bestow.

2014/6/13 17:45Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Luke 9:23-24

"Then He said to them all, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.'"

Oh! And I want to add this one!

Philippians 3:7-12

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christand be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me."

Oh man! v. 12 is so awesome!

2014/6/13 17:50Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: I believe absolute surrender comes at genuine salvation.

Using the word salvation confuses the matter. Of salvation you could say this: I am saved, I am being saved and I will be saved.

So when does absolute surrender happen? When your saved, when your being saved or when you'll be saved?

Personally I think we are deluding ourselves if we say we absolutely surrendered at conversion. I see it this way: at conversion we gave all that we knew we could at that time, the Holy Spirit then started work on us and he will ultimately lead us to to a place where we can surrender absolutely.

For me absolute surrender this side of heaven is the death of the self life.

2014/6/13 19:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy