SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Praying for persecution

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Praying for persecution

Since it is generally known that the church thrives amid persecution, we could pray for it so the American church could thrive, but the percentage that would is likely to be low unless that persecution brings with it an economic collapse times worse than the Great Depression and an EMP event. That would silence the machines and limit the distractions. Then, maybe, we could hear God well enough that He could stoke a hunger for His Word and for communion with Him in prayer that is stronger than we’ve ever known.

While it is unlikely most of us would pray sincerely for persecution, God is leading the persecuted church to see our need and pray on our behalf.

The following, from China, was posted in October 2005:

How should American Christians pray for the church in China? So asked the reporter from the Baptist mission board, ending his interview with a leader of the Chinese house-church movement.

His subject answered, "Stop praying for persecution in China to end." He added, "It is through persecution that the church has grown."

The leader of the underground church then added something else: "We, in fact, are praying that the American church might taste the same persecution so revival would come to the American church like we have seen in China."

And more recently, in November 2012, from North Korea:

In a media release, Reverend Eric Foley, CEO of Seoul USA, says he was surprised when he first asked members of the North Korean underground church how Americans could pray for them.

"They answered, 'You pray for us? We pray for you!' When I asked why, they responded, 'Because Western Christians often put so much faith in their prosperity and political freedoms that they don't know what it's like to have to depend completely on God. And because of that, they often do not get to know him in all the ways he invites us to.'"

Of course, we still should pray for the persecuted church.We can also join in the prayers offered up by the persecuted church for the church in America – if we dare.

2014/5/3 23:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Praying for persecution

G D
There are Christians in Russia, they meet underground.
C G
In China, they're killed when they're found.
G D
And in Cuba the Christians live up in the hills
C G
Because it's not safe in the town.

C G
And to think it might happen right here in America,
D G
I know you think it's not true.
C G
But it's happening to Christians right here in America,
D G
Wait till it happens to you.

from: http://www.onlyvisiting.com/gallery/guitar/america.html

2014/5/3 23:37Profile
proudpapa

John 15 :
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

I am not so sure that the Bible teaches us to pray for persecution but I must admitt that the Bible seems to clearly teach that persecution is part of the normal Christian life.

Thankyou for preparing us for the normal Christial life.

2014/5/4 1:18Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I understand the dynamics of persecution producing more godliness in the saints, but nowhere in the bible are we asked to pray the Lord to have us persecuted. On the contrary:

1 Timothy 2

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

We must learn to take the opportunities we have while we are still relatively free in our religious expression. It is our obligation to contribute to the common good of all people. Asking for persecution is as if a son asks his father to discipline him. No-no, it is much better to do what we are supposed to do than to misbehave and accept discipline.

1 Peter 2:20
For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.

Saints in countries that persecuted Christians are under push forces. We here in the West are under pull forces.
The same satanic force, just a different application. Perhaps it takes more resolve to prosper spiritually under freedom than under persecution.

We must learn to grasp the opportunities given to us know, regardless if we are persecuted or in liberty.

2014/5/4 13:17Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

deleted double submission

2014/5/4 13:17Profile
yuehan

Echoing narrowpath's comments, KingJimmy had discussed why praying for persecution is unbiblical in an earlier thread:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=51595&forum=35&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

When discussing persecution, I believe it is dangerous to focus on persecution in itself without focusing on Christ. It would only breed fear, without offering any notion of divine strength or hope.

The truth is that unless one fixes their mind on Christ, it would be very difficult to overcome adversity (be it nationwide persecution or other forms of individual suffering). Indeed, in John 16:33 - Christ reminds us that in spite of our troubles, He has overcome the world. He's telling us to look up, to look to Him!

The best way to prepare someone for the prospect of future persecution is thus to encourage them to focus not on their circumstances, but on Christ Himself - who is the source of all joy, hope and strength.

The wonderful thing is that we can learn to trust Christ and His love for us whatever situation we find ourselves in. It doesn't take persecution to bring that about, and is in fact the normal Christian life.

2014/5/4 20:00Profile
KPYee

Re:

The Bible asked us to rejoice in trials and tribulations for the reason that it will purge and refine us to be a more suitable vessel for his cause . Persecution is certainly a form of trial and tribulation . So praying for it isnt unfounded on the Bible . Paul said "My strength is made perfect in weakness" Anything that will bond us more closely to Christ should be welcomed by the Christians. Especially so when we consider it will have the effect of rousing nonchalant saints to become passionate for Him . Persecution if it happens will save many currently lackadaisical souls from hell . So is it wrong to pray for it..?

Nevertheless I think its not necessary to pray for it . Persecution will arise on its own when enough Christians are lukewarm. If we dont overcome sin, sin and its agents will overpower us. Persecution then becomes inevitable

2014/5/4 20:51Profile
KPYee

Re:

The Bible asked us to rejoice in trials and tribulations for the reason that it will purge and refine us to be a more suitable vessel for his cause . Persecution is certainly a form of trial and tribulation . So praying for it isnt unfounded on the Bible . Paul said "My strength is made perfect in weakness" Anything that will bond us more closely to Christ should be welcomed by the Christians. Especially so when we consider it will have the effect of rousing nonchalant saints to become passionate for Him . Persecution if it happens will save many currently lackadaisical souls from hell . So is it wrong to pray for it..?

Nevertheless I think its not necessary to pray for it . Persecution will arise on its own when enough Christians are lukewarm. If we dont overcome sin, sin and its agents will overpower us. Persecution then becomes inevitable

KPYee

Re:

yuehan

Re:

Why not just leave it to God to decide the means by which He chooses to purify His vessels?

When religious persecution is spoken of as *needed* for the purifying of the believer and the church at large, I cannot help but wonder if these ideas for spiritual growth belong to man rather than to God (I'm not aware of any biblical backing for such views). If one truly believes that, he is certainly invited to board the next flight to North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

Praying for persecution is similar to praying specifically for personal trials, poverty, and cancer so that we could draw nearer to Christ. I have prayed that I would know Christ more and that He become my only desire, but I don't pray for Him to use specific means to accomplish those ends.

God's ways and not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55). We do not need to instruct Him as to how He should exercise His sovereignty. God knows best and is in full control of our circumstances, and I am content in that.

2014/5/4 22:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy