SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Building bridges to darkness???????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I think Ravi has distinguished himself over the years and has a lot of credibility as being pretty rock solid when it comes to things of the faith, and preaching the gospel. Far be it from any of us to cynically question his motivies and whether or not he preached the gospel on the internet. He's something of an elder-statesman of the faith in the evangelical community. I would say he beyond reproach in this. We would do well to just watch and learn from his example.

2014/1/20 8:35Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

I would say he beyond reproach in this. We would do well to just watch and learn from his example.

----

i think this is a dangerous attitude to have about any man. we are all prone to sin. not saying that he is or that he has done anything at all wrong but i also don't think it is wrong for bear to ask to hear the teaching or ask about the way things went. we are told to test the spirit, and even Paul had to correct Peter. again not saying that Ravi teaching to the Mormons was wrong but asking about it isn't wrong either.

rdg

2014/1/20 9:39Profile
used4him

Re:

Bearmaster,

I have not seen the sermon either, but I am with you as far as questioning the response. It's hard to believe that Mormons would applaud something preached that completely condradicts their beliefs. We just don't see that in the bible. Whenever I have witnessed to someone in a false religion, I usually get a strong response. Either they want to argue, or walk away. I would like to hear of some fruit from his meeting with them, in other words, saved souls.

2014/1/20 12:04Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

i think this is a dangerous attitude to have about any man. we are all prone to sin. not saying that he is or that he has done anything at all wrong but i also don't think it is wrong for bear to ask to hear the teaching or ask about the way things went. we are told to test the spirit, and even Paul had to correct Peter. again not saying that Ravi teaching to the Mormons was wrong but asking about it isn't wrong either.

I don't mind the questioning of what he preached either.

However, there is an arrogant, condescending, cynical attitude being taken on here in regard to a man who has done nothing but demonstrate that he is our brother in the Lord, and a faithful servant of Jesus Christ. We should give him the benefit of the doubt instead of playing this "I have a sneaky suspicion" game that some are fond of playing.

If it ever becomes evident that he is something other than such, then fine, have a field day with him. But until then, I think somebody who has a pretty long track record of faithfully preaching and defending the gospel under numerous settings should not be reproached, and treated as guilty until proven innocent.

2014/1/20 12:27Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I have not seen the sermon either, but I am with you as far as questioning the response. It's hard to believe that Mormons would applaud something preached that completely condradicts their beliefs.

I once preached in a church, where a friend of a friend came to listen to me preach. The guy was was a Mormon missionary, who had just completed his 2 year mission, fresh out of the field. After the service I had the opportunity to meet him. He thanked me for the "deep and thought provoking message" I preached, and said he had enjoyed it. Yet my message was nothing of the sort that he should've found much in the way of anything to agree with.

In social settings, Mormons tend to be extremely friendly people. It does not surprise me that they stood up and applauded. That's what these well mannered people tend to do (they pride themselves on being very polite and neighborly). For all the times I've confronted Mormon missionaries on my door step, or while I was out on the streets, or preaching on the square of a university, I've always found that no matter how much you ruffle their feathers, they keep playing nice. They typically mindlessly agree to just about anything you say, and just try to play nice.

2014/1/20 12:35Profile

Re: Wby this tbread

Brethren this past summer I travelled to Salt Lake City to meet s friend for a prayer assignnent. During my 9 days in SLC, my friend and I went to the Mormon Temple, the training school for Mormon missionaries, and other Mormon high places where we prayed for God to break the powers of darkness and the gospel to come in to the Salt Lake Valley.

While in Salt Lake, Provo, and Logan I saw young Mormon adults trapped in demonic darkness not knowing their sins had been paid for at the cross by Jesus Christ. All they needed to do was repent of their sins and turn to God. All they needed to do was to believe in Jesus. Yet the Mormons are trapped in a works righteousness system. They need to be set free from this yoke of slavery by the cross of Jesus Christ.

God opened up an opportunity for my friend and I to visit with Sandra Tanner. Sandra and her husband who is now with the Lord , came out of Mormonism in the 1960's. They were the first to expose the evils of Mormonism.

In visiting with Sndra she shared something that the LDS church does not want the public to know. A fair amount of their young people, particularly those who go on missions, have nervous breakdowns often leading to suicidal thoughts or suicide itself. This is brought on by the pressure to perform the legalistic duties Mormonism requires. These young adults are often under mental health treatment. Some do commit suicide.

Thus the great need for the gospel in all if its power to set one free from Mormonism to be preached.

Tragically this is not being done by those evangelicals who are visting Utah st Mormon invites. Richard Land, Albert Miehler, George Wood, and apparently Ravi Zacharias are more interested in common ground with the Mormons then in seeing them set free with the truth of Jesus Christ.

This is the context of why I opened up this thread. Some of you think I commit the unpardonable sin by calling into question whether Ravi Zacharias peached the cross of Jesus Christ to set Mormons free.

My friend, who was converted out if Mormonism, has been crying out to God to send laborers out to Utah to pray and preach the gospel to the Mormons. Mormons need to hear the truth of Jesus Christ who can set them free. Mormons do not need to hear apologetics and tbeology. They need to hear the truth of Jesus Christ to free them from their legalistic bondage.

Lord willing, I intend to return to Utah to pray and share Jezus this summer. Would anyone lone to join me. There us s great mission field out there.

Blaine Scogin

2014/1/20 14:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Here is a link to those talks Ravi gave to the Mormans:

http://www.rzim.org/rzim-news/ravi-zacharias-at-byu-and-the-mormon-tabernacle/

I listened to the first one and it was good! If those people still believe that when one dies a man will have ???virgins...they sure did not get it from him! He preached a message we would all benefit from. The Q&A was good as well.

2014/1/20 14:52Profile

Re:

Ginny thanks for listing kinks.

2014/1/20 16:11

Re: Thoughts on BYU Message

I listened to Ravi's message to the BYU students. Excellent apologetic message entitled on What it Means to Be Human. It was non offensive. Good for academic discussion. The approach may be good in discussions with with non theists such as athiests or evolutionists.

What I felt lacking was the uniqueness of Jesus Christ. That uniqueness of His person and work that sets Him apart from the Jesus the Mormons believe in. Consequently there was no mention of sin or the power of the cross to cleans and deliver from sin.

Thus if I were a Mirmon sitting in that meeting I would come away feeling like Mormons and Evangelicals have very little separating them. There was no radical gospel proclamation to call Mormons to repentence.

My thoughts.

Blaine Scogin

2014/1/20 16:23

Re: Some fudtver thoights

I remember when Josh MacDowell came to LSU in the 1970's. Josh took an apologetic approach that wax centered more in the uniqueness of Jesus Christ. From history, theology, philosophy, and other disciplines Josh would lecture and debate the radicals of his day. The debates grew heated at times. But the intent of Josh was to set forth the truth of Jezus Christ. That Jesus Christ was who He claimed to be. Many were challenged to consider the claims of Jezus Christ. Many came to faith in Jesus Christ. The books that Josh wrote, Evidence that Demands a Verdict and More than a Carpenter stand as classics in setting forth the apologetic claims that Jesus Christ us indeed the Son of God.

It seems tbis is what BYU needs to be challenged with.

Blaine

2014/1/20 16:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy