SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Living as Jesus Lived - Listening to God's Voice

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ArthurRosh

Living as Jesus Lived - Listening to God's Voice

"Two years ago a profound dissatisfaction led me to begin trying to line up my actions with the will of God about every fifteen minutes or every half hour. Other people to whom I confessed this intention said it was impossible. I judge from what I have heard that few people are really trying even that. But this year I have started out trying to live all my waking moments in conscious listening to the inner voice, asking without ceasing, “What, Father, do you desire said? What, Father, do you desire done this minute?” It is clear that this is exactly what Jesus was doing all day every day. But it is not what His followers have been doing in very large numbers."

- Frank Laubach (1884 – 1970), missionary to the Moros (Phillipines)

http://www.dunedin.elim.org.nz/uploads/1/2/7/8/12786940/frank_laubach_-_letters_by_a_modern_mystic.pdf

2014/1/16 9:47Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Living as Jesus Lived - Listening to God's Voice

I am reading through this. The word 'Mystic' makes me frown a bit. Usually this type of word would be found in New Age circles so why is it used for a Christian who has a spiritual experience? It seems to denote that the average Christian doesn't have a spiritual experience or 'thinks' they are hearing from God while reading the bible.

btw, ArthurRosh, have you read the entire thing? If so what are your thoughts?

This intrigues me for the communion standpoint with God but also because my wife is Filipino and although she is from Manila this takes place in the South though it is a very different environment in terms of religion.

2014/1/16 14:12Profile

Re:

Any Christian who has entered into union with Christ, is a "mystic". The word is not a problem in my book. Let's not give it a bad rap.

1828 Noah Webster Dictionary
MYS'TICS, n. A religious sect who profess to have direct intercourse with the Spirit of God.

2014/1/16 17:52
Jeremy221

Re: Living as Jesus Lived - Listening to God's Voice

This is the missionary Paul Washer mentions whose desire was to have every waking moment set on Jesus Christ. Am I right?

EDIT: Here are some quotes from the linked file. There is a significant change in his understanding of God. I would suggest reading through and honestly listening for the confirmation of what God has taught you and humility to ask questions for things you haven't known or feel are missing.

--------

Someone may be saying that this introspection and this struggle to achieve
God-consciousness is abnormal and perilous. I am going to take the risks, for somebody ought to do it, in this day when psychological experimentation has given a fresh approach to our spiritual problems. If our religious premises are correct at all then this oneness with God is the most normal condition one can have. It is what made Christ, Christ. It is what St. Augustine meant when he said "Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our souls are restless until they find their rest in Thee."

-------

May 14, 1930 – It is working
Oh, this thing of keeping in constant touch with God, of making him the object of my thought and the companion of my conversations, is the most amazing thing I ever ran across. It is working. I cannot do it even half of a day - not yet, but I believe I shall be doing it some day for the entire day. It is a matter of acquiring a new habit of thought. Now I like God's presence so much that when for a half hour or so he slips out of mind - as he does many times a day - I feel as though I had deserted him, and as though I had lost something very precious in my life.

--------

Do you suppose that through all eternity the price we will need to pay for keeping God will be that we must endlessly be giving him away?

---------

Are you building sacred palaces for yourself? I meant to write “places” to
be sure, but I think I shall leave the word “palaces” for that is what any house becomes when it is sacred. The most important discovery of my whole life is that one can take a little rough cabin and transform it into a palace just by flooding it with thoughts of God. When one has spent many months in a little house like this in daily thoughts about God, the very entering of the house, the very sight of it as one approaches, starts associ- ations which set the heart tingling and the mind flowing. I have come to the point where I must have my house, in order to write the best letters or think the richest thoughts.

------

For a lonesome man there is something infinitely homey and comforting in feeling God so close, so everywhere! Nowhere one turns is away from friendship, for God is smiling there.

-------

Last year, as you know, I decided to try to keep God in mind all the time. That was rather easy for a lonesome man in a strange land. It has always been easier for the shepherds, and the monks, and anchorites than for people surrounded by crowds.
But today it is an altogether different thing. I am no longer lonesome. The hours of the day from dawn to bedtime are spent in the presence of others. Either this new situation will crowd God out or I must take him into it all. I must learn a continuous silent conversation of heart to heart with God while looking into other eyes and listening to other voices. If I decide to do this it is far more difficult than the thing I was doing before.

---------

One of the mental characteristics against which I have rebelled most is the frequency of my "blank spells" when I cannot think of anything worth writing, and sometimes cannot remember names. Henceforth I resolve to regard these as God's signal that I am to stop and listen. Sometimes you want to talk to your son, and sometimes you want to hold him tight in silence. God is that way with us, he wants to hold still with us in silence:

http://www.dunedin.elim.org.nz/uploads/1/2/7/8/12786940/frank_laubach_-_letters_by_a_modern_mystic.pdf

2014/1/16 18:47Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Re: "Last year,.....I desired to try to keep God in mind all the time. "

That is what we do,if we try to ' love God with all our heart,with all our mind,with all our soul,and all our strength.'

And also try to be sober minded at all times,that we do not offend God,by what we do are say.

I am doing a study at the time on godly vs ungodly,and what does that constitute ?

As we all grow up together IN Him,
Lovingly,
elizabeth

2014/1/16 22:44Profile
Elibeth

Re:

And to:
These scriptures come to mind,...

I am not my own,I have been bought with a price.
I no longer live,but it is Christ that liveth in me.
(Paraphrased)

And am I to set claim on most all of my breaths,thoughts, life and just
give Him a little bit ?

Did Jesus intend for us to live on this earth as he did under His Father,God? listening,hearing,obeying ? A life that is not our own ?

Would that be living under a King,in the Kingdom that is within us
leading / guiding us,...hearing His voice ?

Please,...These are just questions that are coming to mind.

Lovingly,
elizabeth

2014/1/16 23:32Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

I only read the first few pages up to the original quote posted so I cannot speak on this article until I read it in full. The idea of continual communion with God is indeed intriguing, is this how Jesus lived? Is this possible for us?

One thing that comes to mind when reading the responses and coming across this idea is the discipline of memorizing Scripture. Could this be the way to stay in constant communion with God, keeping His Word in our mind and letting the Holy Spirit speak to us as we meditate on His Word in our thoughts?

2014/1/17 0:46Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

Honestly, the way he describes this is a little troubling because it is couched in the language of a spiritual discipline accomplished by hard work. He mentions several times about disciplining his mind to focus on God. My knowledge of this is that it does not begin this way but based on his comments about God's revelations and the changes I saw in his understanding of God and viewpoint, I believe that there were things he did and prayed in faith that are not mentioned in the text here. And God opened these to him as he wholeheartedly sought communion with Him. He doesn't talk much about failure, battling temptation or spiritual warfare though you will face these when walking in the Spirit. The PDF is just excerpt of a fuller book that must include a lot more.

2014/1/17 4:49Profile

Re:

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the doorway to the deeper life. Just the beginning not an end in itself. Mental exercises every 15 minutes or memorizing scripture as an exercise in itself does not bring union with Christ.

Set your mind on things above...

2014/1/17 8:08

Re:

Brethren I beg to differ. Memorizing scripture if done under the power of the Spirit can bring help bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. Does not the psalmist say in Psalm 1 that the blessed man is one who meditates on the word day and night.

Jesus said His words are spirit and life. There is power in the word of God that can help transform our hearts and minds into His heart and mind. To think upon God apart from His word can lead into dangerous, even demonic manifestations.

I have noticed of late there us a growing resistance to the simple reading and bearing of the word of God in this forum. Normally this tine of year threads would be open to encourage the reading of the word or memorizing of the word. Now to suggest such is discouraged in tbis forum. My question is why?

Bearmaster.

2014/1/17 9:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy