SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What happens when Christians turn their brains off

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What happens when Christians turn their brains off

This is [b]not[/b] a joke, this really happened.

[b][size=medium]No Passion For Easter Bunny At Church Show[/size][/b]
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:37 a.m. ET April 8, 2004

GLASSPORT, Pa. - First, the Passion of the Christ. Now, the torment of the Easter Bunny?

It may not have been as gruesome as Mel Gibson’s movie, but many parents and children got upset when a church trying to teach about Jesus’ crucifixion performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs.

People who attended Saturday’s show at Glassport’s memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, “There is no Easter bunny,” and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who brought her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. “He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped,” Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn’t meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

“The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter bunny, it is about Jesus Christ,” Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, a community about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

“It was very disturbing,” Norelli-Burke said. “I could not believe what I saw. It wasn’t anything I was expecting.”

2005/3/28 14:13
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re: What happens when Christians turn their brains off

Your title for the thread is quite appropriate...

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/3/28 16:31Profile

You mean there is no Com-Passion for the Easter Bunny.

A bit humourous I might add.

2005/3/28 16:54
dohzman

I thought that article was kinda funny. As adults it can be sooo hard to climb into the world of little children and convey divine truth.We difinetly need to apply Jame's request for wisdom and the be wisdoms fruit inspectors. But the article was fun to read.

2005/3/28 20:56Profile

Re:

I thought the article was funny... but the people who put on that show were definately lacking wisdom.

I have to ask tho... where was [b]PETA[/b]?? :-P

Krispy

2005/3/29 9:03
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

cool article

2005/3/31 21:00Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

i just stuimbled across this one all i can say is, wow. that is stupid.
BTW Krispy, I'm a member of PETA,
People Eating Tasty Animals. . .yummy! :-P

2005/4/1 9:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
People Eating Tasty Animals. . .yummy!

Hey now... thats my line! "Krispy Kritter" is a nickname I picked up several years ago on a hunting trip with some friends. I was cooking up some game we had killed, and I burned it over the camp fire... someone said "Thats some crispy critter!" ... and the name stuck.

Krispy

2005/4/1 9:55
Paulus

Celbridge Kildare Ireland

Re: Easter Bunnys et al

The unfortunate truth is that one would have to ask if these "Christians" had brains in the first place?

Wonder what they will do at Christmas? do keep us informed.

Paul

2005/4/1 10:26Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

I see santa getting smacked around pretty badly, many a boot meeting with his ho ho ho jolly bottom :-P :-P :-P

2005/4/1 22:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy