SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fighting in the Christian box

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Sree,
QUOTE:

But RC church is true because there is no such divisions. What do you guys think about this?

Ahmmmm, I suspect they must be very ignorant of their own history. How about the Greek Orthodox church - it was a split off the RCC, or maybe it was the other way around? Then you have the Reformation back in the 1500s - many are ignorant of it, why it happened. I have also observed there are great differences among them from one diocese to another. Some are orthodox in their beliefs, shunning Marian theology and then there are others who embrace Marian theology with variations in between. Then there are moral issues as well...

I worked with a couple Catholic ladies. One was evangelical and the other two varying degrees of traditional. The evangelical one regarded the traditional ones with amusement - saying little but the expressions were revealing.

Catholics do have disagreements amongst themselves - members do get annoyed with worldliness, new age doctrines that is seeping into their brotherhood...I suspect they just do not see the forest because of the trees.

My opinion based on my interactions with a few Catholics.

ginnyrose

2013/11/4 14:48Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by ginnyrose on 2013/11/4 11:48:57

Sree,
QUOTE:

But RC church is true because there is no such divisions. What do you guys think about this?

Ahmmmm, I suspect they must be very ignorant of their own history. How about the Greek Orthodox church - it was a split off the RCC, or maybe it was the other way around? Then you have the Reformation back in the 1500s - many are ignorant of it, why it happened. I have also observed there are great differences among them from one diocese to another. Some are orthodox in their beliefs, shunning Marian theology and then there are others who embrace Marian theology with variations in between. Then there are moral issues as well...

I worked with a couple Catholic ladies. One was evangelical and the other two varying degrees of traditional. The evangelical one regarded the traditional ones with amusement - saying little but the expressions were revealing.

Catholics do have disagreements amongst themselves - members do get annoyed with worldliness, new age doctrines that is seeping into their brotherhood...I suspect they just do not see the forest because of the trees.

My opinion based on my interactions with a few Catholics.

ginnyrose

You are right Ginnyrose their are those in the RCC that argue and fight just as much as in the protestants. There are those who are traditionalists and those who are not. There are those who hold to strict value while others don't. And they do argue even though they have the pope, in fact there are some who argue and debate over each different pope and the decrees he puts in place.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

God bless
mj

2013/11/4 15:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
by Sree on 2013/11/4 9:49:45

I do not believe all divisions are dangerous. God himself permits divisions so that the faithful are separated from others. For example the division in heaven where God allowed satan to take one third of angels with him. After this the faithful angels were evident.

I was recently in a Roman Catholic forum just to see what they discuss. One common accusation they had against Protestants is that we do not have a single authority to interpret the bible for us like how they have Pope and holly fathers. So we are divided because each one comes with his own interpretation and forms doctrines on those. But RC church is true because there is no such divisions. What do you guys think about this?

The Catholics will give an air of unity in their own forums and when they are proselytizing on Protestant forums but the truth of the matter is that they have many major divisions and sects within their organization. There are very vocal divisions concerning how to do Mass (new way or old way), birth control, women priests, should priests be able to marry, and many, many more.

Though they have one official source of "interpretation", there are many who do not agree with the interpretation.

2013/11/4 17:02
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I once heard it said that you cannot crucify the Devil and you can't rebuke the flesh. You must crucify the flesh. And if any one of us think we are immune to getting into the flesh, we are filling itself. It is easy to become zealous, but not according to knowledge. There are several unchangeable doctrines upon which we should, and probably do agree: original sin, the virgin birth, salvation by Grace through faith, the need to walk in love and quick repentance, etc. And there are some things we do not all agree on: eschatology, the nature of the operation of the gifts of the spirit, who's theology is more nearly correct, etc.. It is the nature of these discussions that is revealing. I think I have some revelation on d some of these things. In fact, on one in particular, I am totally convinced that I am right.

But how do I approach a discussion of the topic. It's out in the love of Christ with the genuine desire to see myself and others come to the knowledge of the truth? Is it a desire to prove my point? Am I quick to right wrongs. Neil, I respect that in you brother.

The world knows that we know him, not by our total perfection, but by the difference that they see in us and by the love we show one for another.

Forums are revealing, but where else can we learn from one another in such a community. I think they serve a good purpose. But we need to allow God to lead us here as we would wish him to do if we were addressing a congregation of 1000 people, because that is really what we are doing.

2013/11/4 18:31Profile

Re:

An interesting thing for everyone to do might be to ask themselves how much of the knowledge of God (not Bible, nor theology) have they obtained through their vast time spent on forums? Another way to put it is to ask yourself how important have forums been in your life for apprehending Christ? And you must be specific (you don't have to answer anyone but yourself). Can you jot down on paper the specific instance and times that a forum has been instrumental in helping you apprehend more of Christ? Too bad we cannot conduct anonymous polls here because I believe the answers would be very interesting.

twayneb, the way I heard that saying is thus:

"You can't cast out the flesh nor crucify a demon."

Yes, it is important to understand the source of our problems.

2013/11/5 0:37
MaryJane

Re:

by just-in on 2013/11/4 21:37:11

An interesting thing for everyone to do might be to ask themselves how much of the knowledge of God (not Bible, nor theology) have they obtained through their vast time spent on forums? Another way to put it is to ask yourself how important have forums been in your life for apprehending Christ? And you must be specific (you don't have to answer anyone but yourself). Can you jot down on paper the specific instance and times that a forum has been instrumental in helping you apprehend more of Christ? Too bad we cannot conduct anonymous polls here because I believe the answers would be very interesting.

Greetings just-in

I thought this very insightful question to ask and consider.I will admit I have wondered on more then one occasion is this what GOD would have for me? Am I only fooling myself thinking I am not just wasting precious time that HE has given me? The answer is not such a simple one, to be sure there have been foolish posts from me, ones that are clearly filled with "self" and then there have been others time that the Lord has used this forum to help me in coming to know HIM better. Or maybe I should say HE has used the people here to help me. There are times when another will post something that the LORD has laid upon their heart that will just speak to mine so clearly you can't help but know HE is speaking to us both. I have learned to walk with HIM more daily, to be mindful that prayer and time with HIM is vital. I have learned not to be fearful, to trust and have faith, and to pray for others needs. I have learned what it means to be honest even when no one is looking, I have learned that others will have different opinions then mine and I am not always right. In fact I have learned that I often am not right.I have learned that its better to walk away in prayer then to stomp away in anger. I have learned that trying to win favor or seek men's approval is vanity, wanting to be liked or considered "holy" is not glorifying to my LORD JESUS. All of these things have come as lessons for me as I have spent time here and HE uses others words to speak to my heart. Some of these lessons I have learned, some I am still learning, and others I am just beginning to grasp.

I am always amazed by the things our LORD uses to open my eyes, to get me to see "self" so that I might die to areas of sin in my life I didn't even realize I was still holding on to. I am amazed that JESUS is so patient, kind, and merciful that HE takes the time to show me these things and cares that I learn them. HIS love is beyond words to describe and I have seen it demonstrated here by some few now and again and it has taught me to love others.

Right now I am seeing that if I truly want to be like JESUS I need to really lay hold of this truth, that it goes beyond just having the "right" words to say, its about living and walking it out daily in HIM. Not just when I am up for it but always, every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day living and submitting unto HIM.

Thank you for sharing and asking. I am sure this question will be in my thoughts for a while and there is much more HE will have for me as a result of it.

God bless
mj

edit to be more clear

2013/11/5 9:48Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: "Wasting time" on the forum

During any given day, things happen that influence my walk, my thinking, and my heart for the things of God. Do the things I read on the forum have any part of that influence? For me the answer is a resounding yes!

Though we know each other in this very limited venue, I know that love has grown here- I see it in many of you and I can feel it in me. ProudPapa, whose passion and insight have blessed me immensely felt a strong prompting from the Spirit to apologize for some attitudinal issues in his postings, and did so eloquently right here on the forum.

We did not know how the Spirit was dealing with his heart, but his love for God and us pushed him to accountability. This to me is an example of how God is using the forum to cement relationships with other Christians who live scattered about the country and the globe. Perhaps we will meet in Glory and know each other with richness we would otherwise not have?

Quite frankly, the forum has given me a desire to meet some people I have come to love maybe even on earth before we meet over there!

That's one reason I leave my email in my profile, and am grateful to some of you who have contacted me privately. If your travels bring you to San Diego, I am always up for coffee at Starbucks or some such!

Yes I would say the forum has profited my walk with Jesus!

2013/11/5 12:12Profile

Re:

I used to meet dear saints, Sidewalk, but no longer does the SI site lend itself to private interaction and exchange of emails. To be honest, I mostly waste my time here. It's like a break in the day. Either stand up and stretch and get a drink of water or see what the latest topic on SI is. There are a few posters that I like and I look for their posts, so it's not a complete waste of time. Are there times I should have been doing other things? DEFINITELY!

Ok, break time over. ;-)

2013/11/5 15:23
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: For what it's worth...

Dinner is over, and the house is quiet. The neighbors aren't fighting that we can hear, thankfully, as dear wife and I sit in the living room with our i-pads. TV is off, already heard all the latest scut about Obamacare.

I naturally tune in to SI to enjoy the fresh postings and wonder whether I should entertain you all with details of camping with the handicapped last weekend.

About 75 folks, most of whom are adults with some degree of serious mental impairment and physical issues as well, gathered at a Christian camp not far into the local back country. We had cabins which were glorified tents, and I was a cabin leader with five men all over 50. On the outside...younger in some aspects of development.

I had made a comment in another thread last week about this, mentioning that I fully expected to have issues where rubber gloves would be very appropriate- I was not disappointed! One of the girls had apparently eaten enough breakfast for several people, and while sitting in the front row at morning chapel on Saturday sort of exploded. Yikes! The theater group doing a song and dance routine, with the girls in stocking feet, had to dance right through some of it as chairs were being removed for flushing with a hose outside. The floor would have to wait a few minutes.

In my cabin, one of the guys had a bed wetting problem that only came to my attention when I saw him roll out of his bunk on Saturday morning. Why he had been sleeping on two comforters, a blanket, his towel, shirts and his jacket escapes me. Laundry time, big time!

I asked him about whether he ever used diapers and he showed them to me on the floor by his bed. He never told me about them!

That evening I noticed he was again sleeping on his bunk fully dressed on another sleeping bag he had.

" Chester, did you get that diaper on?"

"I'll do it in the morning," he said.

I worked hard to retain my Christian composure, and moments later he was diapered up. He got a little surly, grumbling that I was just like some other guy at his group home, an attendant who also didn't like cleaning up after him.

Oh but it gets better.

During the night, most of the guys got up for that midnight shuffle out of the cabin and down the dirt path to the bathroom. I was on a top bunk, and suddenly in the darkness I heard a rather frantic shuffling and someone went out the door rather quickly. Half asleep, my mind noted- whoever that was didn't put any shoes on. Hmmmm. Then I went back to sleep sort of.

Chester didn't come back to the cabin so I knew I needed to check on him. As I climbed off the bunk, I began to notice the aroma. When I turned on the light- ewww, boy! It was a trail of evidence that said in a loud voice, "The day has begun!" So much for inadequate diapers...

I slipped on my flip-flops, grateful that my bare feet has missed the "evidence" by just inches as I climbed off the bunk. But when I grabbed the doorknob to go find Chester, my luck ran out. I now had the evidence in hand.

Well, we got it all cleaned up and my brain has a brand new and exciting fresh reminder why, when someone suggests going camping, it's never a good idea.

On the other hand, what a fabulous diversion for a population of people whose routines are normally pretty bland and predictable. They have found a ministry that genuinely cares for them and provides both a weekly worship service and regular activities to challenge their hearts. Watching the interactions they have loving Jesus in simple ways and each other is amazing. They teach me a thing or two!

The ministry is called "Luv-Em-Up" and it is just that. Haven't worked that hard for a weekend in a long time, but I would do it again- and probably will!

Oops, may have drifted off topic a bit- sorry!

2013/11/5 23:29Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Just-in

Don't sell yourself short Just-in, your postings are excellent and drip with wisdom! If you think you are wasting time- you might be quite wrong!

2013/11/5 23:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy