SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gospel of John (The Movie) ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rahman

The Gospel of John (The Movie) ...

At this time of the year i'll watch most of the movies depicting "The Greatest Story Ever Told" no matter how old, just to mouth along with the words of Jesus ... Three of my favorites are "I Am the ressurection and the life" ... "I Am the truth and the Life" ... And, "Lazurus come forth"! ...

Well i saw a really impressive movie this Friday called ...

The Gospel of John ...
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?id=1808509536&d=hv&cf=info

Has anyone else seen it, and what do you think?

PS - It also has a third Interactive CD that's really informative ...

2005/3/27 16:25Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: The Gospel of John (The Movie) ...

While the cinematics can't compete with Mel Gibson's movie, the story line blows the Passion away. I've seen it and I can't wait to get enough money to buy the movie and show it to my family.

2005/3/27 16:30Profile
Rahman

Re:

Brother Jeremy,

That's the same thing i thought ...

i loved the way the Christ as "the son of man" came across in his humanity, but also because we know the Gospel we can pick up the actor's portrayal of just enough of the aura of Christ divinity ...

At first i had thought to myself he sure says "I tell you the truth" a lot, but then it dawned on me that that was "Verily, Verily" ... The movie then took on a whole bigger meaning for me in that i then kept seeing Christ's continuous attempts to tell his detractors that he was in fact telling them the truth, but to their eternal dismay they just could not believe him ...

Excellent story line! ... But of course you can't miss by staying that strict to the actual Gospel of John ...

God is so good to us ... So good!

2005/3/27 17:29Profile

Re: The Gospel of John (The Movie) ...

I agre with Bro Jeremy. This is one of my most prized possessions, the 3 DVD set. Its wonderful and well worth the money. Great production values, I find myself praying that everyone involved with this production come to know the Lord in a deep and full measure.

2005/3/27 21:38

Re:

I saw it... thought the production was top-notch. However, I hate the version of the Bible they used (big surprise, eh?). It's perhaps one of the worst versions of the modern versions.

But on a whole, I thought the movie had a lot of positive points to it. Jesus smiled a lot, and I think He did. However, we can not forget that He was a man of sorrow. How could He not be? He loved the people so much, and He walked among them realizing that they were lost... and that they would turn on Him and murder Him. That had to be heart breaking.

Krispy

2005/3/28 9:31
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

I liked that the script is the actual gospel of John - that is, there is no 'extra' dialog, and no missing dialog. The narration where there is no dialog is simply the text of John. With closed captioning turned on a person can read the whole gospel of John - no additions or subtractions! And I think that was it's greatest strength. I am no fan of the translation used either - but recognize that this particular translation was geared towards E.S.L. readers - which makes it a fair translation to use in the movie if the movie is going to be used evangelistically in other areas of the world (which it most likely will).

I didn't like the hollywood jesus - you know, handsome, tall, and charismatic because of these features. I would rather they cast a man who fit was less impressive physically - someone who though unattractive could portray suffering, and power. Who was compelling, not because of any physical beauty, but perhaps because of the beauty of the message they were carrying. Sigh!

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/3/28 11:48Profile
Angyl

Re:

Huh!

Well I'm sold... guess I'll run out and buy this movie tonight to see what y'all are talkin' about! :-)

2005/3/28 13:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
The narration where there is no dialog is simply the text of John. With closed captioning turned on a person can read the whole gospel of John - no additions or subtractions!

LOL... I could make a comment on that, but it would only spark another Bible version debate, and I dont want to do that here.

Anyway, I agree with your assesment of the Hollywood Jesus. Like the one that was on the History Channel this weekend: Jesus of Nazareth. Now, I have always liked that movie even tho there is some artistic freedom in it. But just once I would like to see a movie about Jesus where he actually looks Jewish! Stop with the blue eyes already! Make him short and average looking.

I think we'll all be shocked when we meet Jesus and see what He looks like. Kinda like when you see a radio personality for the first time after to listening to them for years.

It's a good thing His sheep recognize His voice... cuz we sure aint gonna recognize His face!

And more than likely, Jesus had short hair. Considering the tribe He descended from, thats probably the case.

Krispy

2005/3/28 13:28
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

About the outward appearance of Jesus...

John was talking with Jesus, walking with Jesus, learning from Jesus, living with Jesus. He was the disciple who was loved by Jesus. And this man was even [b]leaning on Jesus' bosom[/b] (John 13:23). He was that close with and to Jesus.

When this same John meets Jesus Christ again at Patmos, something altogether different happens: "And when I saw him, [b]I fell at his feet as dead"[/b] (Revelation 1:17).

In 1 John 3:2 it says that we will see Him like He is.

Friends, when I will meet Jesus for the first time face-to-face, I won't be looking at the color of His hair or eyes, His length or His beard. I won't be listening to the kind of voice He has, His accent or the shoes He's wearing. I know that I will fall face down...and worship Him!

"He is the sole expression of the glory of God, and He is the perfect imprint and very image of [God's] nature" (Hebrews 1:3)

I'm not going to make myself an image of Christ in my mind. No image will do...for no image can reflect the perfect imprint and very image of God's nature! I meet something of Christ in true believers, I meet a lot of Christ in His word and through prayer...but I'm glad I don't have a big photo from Him hanging above my bed.

"Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, [b]yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory[/b]: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter 1:8)

"For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? [b]But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."[/b] (Romans 8:25)

2005/3/28 15:04Profile

Re:

Dezzy... excellent post. I have to say that I agree with ya!

Krispy

2005/3/28 15:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy