SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the difference between the old covenant vs. the new covenant.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

2 Corinthians 3 tells you many differences between the Old and New Covenant.

The Old Covenant vs. The New Covenant - Jeremiah 31:31-34

The Ten Commandments.....................The New Covenant
written on tablets of stone (v. 4).........written on the heart
the letter that kills (v. 6)....................the Spirit that gives life
a ministry that brought death (v. 7)......a ministry that brings life
engraved in letters on stone (v. 7).......ministry of the Spirit
came with glory (v. 7)........................even more glorious
the ministry that condemns (v. 9)........the ministry that brings righteousness
no glory now in comparison (v. 10).......the surpassing glory
it came with glory (v. 11)...................much greater glory
it is transitory (v. 11)........................the ministry that lasts

Of course, the sacrifce changed from every year, to once for all time. From the blood of animals to the blood of the Son of God (Jesus Christ).

I like what Michael Morrison says:

Paul says that the Ten Commandments, although good, are temporary and fading. What has faded away concerning the Ten Commandments? Some people try to say that the Ten Commandments, instead of fading, are actually more binding on people today than ever before. They want to expand the Ten instead of letting them fade.

But Paul is saying that there is a fundamental change in the way people relate to God. The old way is a written law that condemns people to death. The new way is the Holy Spirit, which brings forgiveness and life. The Spirit leads us to obey God, but it is a fundamentally different relationship, a different basis of relating to God.

There is some basic continuity between the old covenant and the new. Most of the Ten Commandments are quoted with approval in the New Testament. Those commands reflect aspects of God’s law that were in effect long before Sinai—from the beginning. One is not — the Sabbath command. It was a ceremonial law, instituted for a temporary time period.

Paul’s boldness in Christ
Once Paul understood the change, he was strengthened and encouraged: “Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away” (verses 12-13).

Paul did not hide. He was bold in preaching the new way — salvation through the crucified Christ. But despite his boldness, and the clarity of the message, many people did not accept the gospel:

“But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts” (verses 14-15).

Many people today, Jewish or not, do not seem to understand. They keep reading the Bible with old covenant eyes. The only solution is Christ. Only in him can the “veil” be removed. “Whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away” (verse 16).

The basis of our relationship with God
What does it mean to “turn to the Lord”? It means to see Jesus as the basis of our relationship with God. It means seeing our identity in him, not in the Law of Moses. Christ becomes central. We obey his law, the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:21). When we put him first in our identity, he will help us see the covenantal change more clearly.

“The Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom” (verse 17). We have freedom in Christ — but what kind of freedom? Certainly, we still obey — Paul makes that clear in Romans 6. But in this context of 2 Corinthians, what kind of freedom is he talking about? It is freedom from the ministry that brought death — freedom from the old covenant. There is a lot of continuity, but there is some important change as well.

An unfading glory
Not only do the covenants change from old and temporary to new and permanent, Christians themselves are changing: “We all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (verse 18).

Moses had only a fading glory, and his covenant had only a fading glory. It could give only temporary blessings. But we, with the eternal Spirit living within us, are being changed into a permanent glory — a glory that does not need to hide, a glory that looks to the heart instead of the stone tablets.

2013/11/3 12:02
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Good post, Just-in.

2013/11/3 12:25Profile
rookie

Re:

ADisciple writes:

Hagar, Paul says, represents the Old Covenant. “For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children” (Gal. 4.25). Paul contrasts the Sinai covenant with “Jerusalem which is above,” which, he says, “is free, which is the mother of us all”—that is, the mother of all whether Jew or Gentile who are in new-covenant relationship with God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. (This is the “mount” unto which those under the New Covenant have come—not Sinai, but “mount Zion... the heavenly Jerusalem, Heb. 12.22.)

There is more to this analogy than what you have stated thus far... what is the difference between the promise made to Abraham by God and what happened with Hagar?

2013/11/3 13:40Profile
rookie

Re:

just-in writes:

The basis of our relationship with God
What does it mean to “turn to the Lord”? It means to see Jesus as the basis of our relationship with God. It means seeing our identity in him, not in the Law of Moses. Christ becomes central. We obey his law, the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:21). When we put him first in our identity, he will help us see the covenantal change more clearly.

In Isaiah we find this answer... Isa 30:9

That this is a rebellious people,
Lying children,
Children who will not hear the law of the LORD;

Isa 30:10
Who say to the seers, “Do not see,”
And to the prophets, “Do not prophesy to us right things;
Speak to us smooth things, prophesy deceits.

Isa 30:11
Get out of the way,
Turn aside from the path,
Cause the Holy One of Israel
To cease from before us.”

Who is the Holy One of Israel?

2013/11/3 13:47Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Hi a-servant ,

I hope this better helps you to understand what I was implying

ProudPapa wrote : "If we turn the teachings of Jesus into law, We are not embracing the New."

a-servant responded : ///Jesus is our salvation, not the "New" ///

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The Shed Blood of Jesus is the new testament.

Salvation is in the Shed Blood of Jesus which is the new testament.

a-servant wrote ///you just found a way to say teachings of Jesus are interesting at times, but have no binding validity for Christians.///

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

a-servant wrote : ////And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Luke 6:46////

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

2013/11/3 15:12Profile
a-servant

Re:

Hebrews 13:8  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

He is either Lord in our lifes, or he is not. He is the person on the throne that will judge us, it is not the theology that spoke of him and his blood sacrifice, it's the person.

"Salvation is in the Shed Blood of Jesus which is the new testament."

That's a technical definition, theology of sorts, it is only salvation to you if you come to Christ, the Bible says:

Hebrews 5:9  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

You cannot have salvation without the person Of Jesus, that would be a trying to get in the door by other means of a "salvation outside the foundation of Christ".

Luke 6:46  And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? 47  Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48  He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. 9  But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

This is not "old covenant" this is foundational thruth of Christianity.

John 15:26  But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

The [REAL] Holy Spirit testifies of Jesus, he does not render him obsolete, nor replaces or surpases him now or in the future. You do not have one without the other. In Luke 6:46 Jesus warns the ones that call him by his name in adoration, but refuse to come to him. They refuse to enter through the strait gate, because He is not their Lord, they just call him Lord.

2013/11/3 19:25Profile
a-servant

Re:

"Who is the Holy One of Israel?"

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5  

It's Jesus that writes his laws on our hearts. Once you come to Him.

in opposition to the lawless one, that imparts demonic lawless spirits into humans. Convincing the deceived mind that this is true freedom and that this spirt would be the holy spirit.

How did God through Isaiah identify these spirits?

Isaiah 8:20  To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

they promise us light, but have no light to give, they cannot overcome their basic nature which is based on rebellion, expressed by only two things: They hate God's law, and His testimony. That's the key identifier. And that's the main difference between the antichrist spirit and the Holy Spirit. We have to examine and discern the source, or will be deceived by an outside appearance of light that is based on rebellion and will take us to hell. As a spirit of rebellion cannot be saved.

2013/11/3 19:26Profile
rookie

Re:

a-servant wrote:

"Who is the Holy One of Israel?"

'For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

It's Jesus that writes his laws on our hearts. Once you come to Him."

Yes the Scriptures in Isaiah identify Jesus as Spiritual force gathering those who would hear and see.

You wrote:

"they promise us light, but have no light to give, they cannot overcome their basic nature which is based on rebellion, expressed by only two things: They hate God's law, and His testimony. That's the key identifier. And that's the main difference between the antichrist spirit and the Holy Spirit. We have to examine and discern the source, or will be deceived by an outside appearance of light that is based on rebellion and will take us to hell. As a spirit of rebellion cannot be saved."

In Isaiah 8 God declares that these people who you are writing of above "refused the waters of Shiloah that flow softly" and instead chose to "rejoice in Rezin and in Remalliah's son." So as you said they rejected God and chose to be Satan's offspring. Just like Cain and Abel, just another generation.

Isa 8:7
Now therefore, behold, the Lord brings up over them
The waters of the River,fn strong and mighty—
The king of Assyria and all his glory;
He will go up over all his channels
And go over all his banks.

Isa 8:8
He will pass through Judah,
He will overflow and pass over,
He will reach up to the neck;
And the stretching out of his wings
Will fill the breadth of Your land, O Immanuel.fn

The God of the Old Testament who destroys is also the God of the New Testament who also saves, His name is Immanuel. Everywhere one goes today, the preachers teach that Jesus of the New Testament is a God of love, and for lack of understanding, teach that Jesus is the God of judgement in the Old Testament. As you said according to Isaiah 8:20, there is no light in them.

2013/11/4 6:58Profile

to "just-in"....and my apology to brother Paul West

I acknowledge any sinful and wrong hearted words written to my beloved brother Paul (West)....for which I beg his forgiveness.....i'm so terribly sorry.

"just in"
you asked

Quote:
What exactly is the problem, Neil?

better men than me, specifically Michael Brown can tell you what my problem slash grief is.....here, prayerfully listen to brother Michael speak forth,
"A Baptism of Tears for Israel"
http://askdrbrown.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/A-Baptism-of-Tears-for-Israel.mp3

he's a Jew , like me, who follows Jesus....and for the prior 10 years following Messiah, I paid little attention to "church" history, being CONSUMED with love of the Word, I stay in the Bible, no commentaries....then I started to learn of 1700 years of what happened to my people, the Jews...I was NEVER an "ethnic" or "secular" Jew...I might have sunk my teeth into the bitter fruit of sin for a season, but His Hand was always on me, since I was a 7 year old in the synagogue.

then I read of "church history", and its a struggle to contain my inner "King David"...I gotta be honest...the way things are going in America today?

I have one hand on my passport...ready...to claim the "Law of Return" and move BACK to Israel.....but deny Messiah?.....never...

I say all this in love, and especially to my beloved Paul, n.

2013/11/4 13:33
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: to "just-in"....and my apology to brother Paul West

Quote:
I acknowledge any sinful and wrong hearted words written to my beloved brother Paul (West)....for which I beg his forgiveness.....i'm so terribly sorry.

I embrace your apology with all my heart dear brother. I am forever your friend and we are brethren in Christ. May God bless you richly.

Paul

2013/11/4 15:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy