SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many christians read there bible ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is a question I have been thinking about: Do I know God or do I just know His Word? It may seem like a weird question but so many people can quote the Word but have no idea who God is or what He likes/dislikes. Eve quoted God in the garden but wasnt obedient to God. Do we know God or are we just Bible "thinkers", that to fulfill some religous need we create long lists of doctrinal statements using the Scriptures? Or do we know God and his likeness? Prayer is how we know God. These are just questions I have been asking myself lately.. not directed at anyone. I'm not taking away from Bible reading.. i read everyday I just belive it is SOO important to be balanced. We must have the Word and be in prayer. If we only have the Word we will only have dry theology. If we only have prayer we will be "Super Spiritual" which in actuality means super fleshly or demonic. I belive this is how many people err , they are not balanced.

2005/3/27 21:15Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

In the bible it says
Joh 5:39 - Show Context
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me

The reason I love the bible is because I love Jesus, we need both but in our culture it is more common for people to go in the other direction. There is a danger going in both ways.

2005/3/31 20:37Profile
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re:

Quote:
I'm guessing 1 or 2 out of 100 who call themselves Christians regularly read and study the Bible. Maybe less I don't know. (I don't sound pessimistic do I?)

In our church I would say 1 in 5 read it at least once a week. One of the sad truths that accompanies this is the fact that many Christian truths are never taught from the pulpit. Few in our church know about original sin, and couldn't begin to tell you what "whatever is not from faith is sin" means.

Because of this, we have many "working their way" into Heaven without focusing on a trusting, abiding relationship in Christ.

Judgment is also never, ever talked about, nor repentance. Our pastor (who is my best friend) insists he talks about sin, but he doesn't. There is no way that young Christians could ever in a million years derive a working definition of sin from our teachings.

I keep reminding him that when he leads others to Christ, he must in some way, shape or form define sin. He just doesn't understand that the unsaved aren't familiar with Christian terms.

It can be frustrating, especially when I ponder how many are being ehred off into the pits of hell.

2005/4/4 19:27Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I have come to look for the fruit that is spoken of in the parable of the sower. I see many that appear to be in the first three groups. I see few who truly have the love of the word of God planted in their hearts. Remember this is the promise of the new covenant.

Heb 8:

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

The love for the word of God cannot be manufactured, it is planted by our Savior.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/4/5 12:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'm guessing 1 or 2 out of 100 who call themselves Christians regularly read and study the Bible. Maybe less I don't know. (I don't sound pessimistic do I?)

In devotions this morning on CCBC Campus, brother Jason shared from Psalm 119:161-168. He really gave a powerful message about the Word of God and the convictions God was laying on his heart.

Psalm 119:162: I rejoice at Your word as one who finds [b]great treasure[/b].

This great treasure (spoils) is something that is won after an victory over an city. We have been given the Words of life and namely Christ Jesus Himself who is life eternal who had victory over the world and the devil. What amazing riches of God are revealed to us in His word.

On another facet really how much do we care that we have the actual words of God. Do we reverence it as such? Is there an holy Awe of Gods word?

Psalm 119:161: Princes persecture me without a cause, But my heart stands [b]in awe of Your word[/b].

If we had to shed blood to have our bibles in our hands then we would treat it as something more blessed and as a great treasure. Let us be real with ourselves and cry out to God to shake us from the complacency of having the Word of God in our hands and not really caring. What glorious things we are given in the Scriptures and what an wonderful God we serve that is so good to us!

We have more access and copies of the Scriptures in our generation then in ALL church history preceding, but we don't have any power.

2005/4/5 13:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
On another facet really how much do we care that we have the actual words of God. Do we reverence it as such? Is there an holy Awe of Gods word?

I think this begs the question... do we really have the actual words of God? There was a time when the majority of believers actually believed that. But since the advent of the modern versions in 1881 there has been a great eroding of this belief. Which version has the actual words of God? The KJV? The NIV? Or, to go deeper... the Received Text (also known as the Majority Text)? Or is it in the Alexandrian Text?

Quote:
We have more access and copies of the Scriptures in our generation then in ALL church history preceding, but we don't have any power.

Yea, isnt that interesting? Over 100 new versions have been copyrighted and printed since 1881 (all based on the Alexandrian Text) with the goal of making the Bible more readable and understandable... yet, "we don't have any power".

Is there a connection? I think undeniably so. The church lacks power, and is more like the world than ever before. I think there is a direct connection between that, and the plethura of corrupt modern versions that have flooded the church in the last 100 years.

Krispy

2005/4/5 13:42
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Question is, How many christians read there bible ?

Well I read mine, and sometimes other folks Bibles also, does this help answer you question? :-)

2005/4/5 14:54Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Br. Gregg wrote:

Quote:
If we had to shed blood to have our bibles in our hands then we would treat it as something more blessed and as a great treasure.

I look at it just the opposite. We would not shed our blood unless it first was our treasure. All things start with God.

Matt. 13:44 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Matt. 13:45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, 46 who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

We cannot treasure something which has no affect on our life. We cannot know the word of God as our treasure unless we first read it. We cannot know the word of God as our treasure unless it becomes part of our life. Only through realizing the substance of what we hope for do we begin to see the power of God in our lives.

Heb 4

12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Heb 5:

13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Matt. 13:15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.’

How many are being healed by the word of God in this generation?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/4/5 15:52Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

In canterbury we had a bible quiz to see much people now of the bible it may be a smart thing to do

2005/4/6 9:54Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I have known christian who do not know the bible and I want to help them but the problem is that they do not know enough of the language or I ahve to explain what that verse says in modern english I find because of the influx of television and the media the language that I try and propiate is beyond what they understand and I get tired and weary of explainign simple priniciples such as dont watch bad movies becuase they will harm you or dont marry a non christian or the music you listen to may harm you. I struggle trying to love them because I know that there is something that will do them harm but do not have the language to express it. That is why I want so much for this generation to be a praying and biblical generation. I want these dry bones to live. I also find it hard when I am trying to explain something which is loving and people see it as condemnatory.This is one of the reasons why I want more people to read there bible

2005/4/7 20:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy