SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sanctification is an Active Race and Pursuit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

Re: From the champion of grace himself

Godliness also holds greater promise than sanctification.

A person can be "sanctified" and then be destroyed for corrupting what God has sanctified. Sanctified means "set apart unto God." Paul warned the Corinthians that "if anyone corrupts what God has sanctified, God will destroy that one."

A temple vessel was "set apart" (sanctified) unto God; improper use of a vessel that had been sanctified actually brought greater judgment than improper use of a "common" non-sanctified vessel. Sanctification brings greater accountability than non-sanctification.

So Paul, understanding this, knowing that he had been sanctified, set our example on how a "sanctified" servant should live.

"For unto this we exhaust ourselves and agonize, because we have put our hope upon the living God."

For a further description of Paul's personal application on how to live a sanctified life. "For I beat my body and make it my slave, lest after having preached to others, I myself should be rejected." (adokimos - dis approved).

Sanctification is surely something God does. He sets us apart to Himself.

Now that we have been sanctified, let us "go to the gym" and "work out our salvation in fear and trembling" to become godly and "to perfect sanctification in the fear of the Lord."

Godliness holds MORE promise than sanctification. Godliness holds promise for the present life and the life to come.

Paul told Timothy "command and teach this."

makrothumia

2013/9/17 10:19Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Saul of Tarsus did not need to crucify himself because Saul of Tarsus was indeed dead. And by that Death he was sanctified.

Your quote reminded me of an article by Zac Poonan which posted recently on Sermonindex.

Zac Poonan Quote: These are the two deaths the New Testament speaks of. Both of these are pictured beautifully in the history of Israel. The army of Pharaoh was buried in one moment under the Red Sea. That’s a picture of the old man. Who did that? God. The old man was crucified on the cross by God. Then the Israelites crossed Jordan, which speaks of another death.

Now I don’t agree with Zac on all his points but it did get me thinking about the example to us in the history of Israel.

The first baptism army of Pharaoh was buried in one moment under the Red Sea. (A picture of the old man)

Israel was out of Egypt but Egypt was still in Isreal. (A carnal Christian one ruled by the flesh)

Israel wanders the desert condemned to wander the wilderness until all those who had refused to enter Canaan had died. (A pruning cutting away of the old Egyptian nature)

The second baptism the crossing of the Jordan River, the second death in that the remnants of the old Egyptian nature had been dealt with and the law represented Moses that could not enter in. (The Egyptian nature was dead and the Law was dead to them)

Canaan land the promised rest, the new nature reigns and is in control as they are free from the Egyptian nature and the law was dead to them.

The first baptism is a baptism into Christ the second baptism is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Thought amd comments welcomed...

2013/9/17 11:51Profile

Re:

Dear Brenda, I think we are trying to say the same thing.

Maybe????

Perhaps if is our semantics trying to say we are pursuing what Christ has done at the cross in the power of the Spirit.

But I appreciate your post. It did clarify some of your position. Will think more on what you shared.

Bear.

2013/9/17 12:00

Re:

Maktothumia are not godliness and practical sanctification one in the same?

Bear.

2013/9/17 12:03

Re: A shift in gear

Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

1 Corithians 1:30-31
But by His doing you are in Christ Jezus who become to us wisdom from God and righteousness and sanctification and redemption so that just as it is written "LET HIM WHO BOAST BOAST IN THE LORD".

Hebrews 12:14
Pursue peace with all men and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.

Verses are taken from the NASBU

If our sanctification is accomplished in Christ Jeus. Then are we saying that the pursuit of sanctification is a faith pursuit of what Jesus has already done on the cross.

Bearmaster.

2013/9/17 12:31

Re:

Colin scripture tells us that there is one baptism. One baptism that saves us 1 Peter 3:21.

2013/9/17 12:41
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Sanctification and Godliness are not mutually exclusive

Great question dear brother bearmaster

In II Tim Paul wrote - "if a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel of honor, having been sanctified, useful to the master and prepared unto every good work."

We can see by this that a man's responsibility to cleanse himself and the resulting sanctification are interlinked. This should not surprise us as this can be clearly seen in the Old Testament Tabernacle.

There were varying degrees of "sanctification" seen in the Holy Place. The outer court was a "set apart" (sanctified area). The tabernacle itself was "set apart" from the outer court by the limits of the tent itself. Then even from the "set apart" place of the tent, there was another - deeper - "set apart" area - the Holy of the Holies.

The entire Temple area was holy, but within itself there were areas set apart to a greater degree than others. This is also true of the Levites. Any ceremonially clean Levite could minister in the outer court, but only a ceremonially clean descendent of Aaron could enter the Holy of the Holies and that only on the "set apart" day of Atonement.

So we can see that from among a larger group of men who are sanctified, a man who cleanses himself to a greater degree than others who are sanctified will be an active participant in the process of deepening sanctification which God had already begun. The man's active role brings the sanctification process to a greater degree of present completion. This is the idea of the Perfect, passive or middle, indicative Paul uses. Sanctification had already begun, but the man's active role in cleansing himself works together with God to bring about a greater degree of sanctification and usefulness.

This is how certain men become more set apart unto God than other men who are also set apart unto God.

It will also help us to realize that a man and or item that has been set apart unto God will remain set apart unto God even though that man or item becomes corrupt. Men and things can be corrupt and set apart simultaneously. This is why God judged Israel - they corrupted His Holy place.
Holy things are to be treated with special care, because the consequence of treating a holy thing improperly is greater than if they were not sanctified.

Godliness and sanctification are linked much like grace and faith are linked. Through God's grace we believe, even so through God's sanctification we pursue godliness and the result is a more complete sanctification.

Godliness and sanctification are distinct but inseparable.

makrothumia

2013/9/17 12:50Profile

Re:

I agree makrothumia. It would be impossible to pursue true godliness without first being set apart (sanctified).

2013/9/17 20:59
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///Godliness and sanctification are distinct but inseparable///

interesting thoughts to throw into the equation makrothumia.

2013/9/17 22:35Profile

Re:

Good discussion and good food for thought and meditation. I thank the posters for their contributions and good spirit on this thread.

Bearmaster.

2013/9/17 23:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy