Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Wearing Red

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Wearing Red

I want to ask a question that can be answered with a yes or no. If you say 'yes' maybe you could explain but it is not essential. I am asking this for pure information, nothing else.

When I was a child back in the 1950s one would hear mentioned in sermons how red symbolizes harlotry and therefore one should not wear red. Since then people wear red and its connection to harlotry is not spoken of.

My question - and I especially want people who are familiar with harlotry, either by experience or by people closely connected to it: does the wearing of red still communicate that you are 'available' for immoral acts?

Please, no debate.

Thank-you!

ginnyrose

2013/6/19 14:25Profile
TrueWitness

Re: Wearing Red

I know that back in the "old days" if a man traveling to an unfamiliar city wanted illicit sex, he would look for a place with a red light shining out front; it was a house of ill-repute and hence the term "red light district". As far as wearing red, I've never seen anything as legalistic as what you heard. I know in Puritan New England they would make female adulterers wear a scarlet letter "A" for life. Seems like the male adulterer should suffer a similar fate but such were the times back then. Hope this helps.

2013/6/19 16:24Profile
MaryJane

Interesting question. I have heard it said from those who are older then myself that "nice girls" don't wear red.(this was when I was younger) I think the color red it self has been associated in the fashion industry as being seductive or sexy at times. Of course now with so much of the world pushing revealing clothing as trending style on young women today I don't know that the color is an issue, it seems to be more about the cut, and fit.

I guess my answer would be no because I don't think any one color can be considered as an indicator of immoral acts when worn.

(smile) Although I will admit that as I am typing this to share with you right now I am wearing a red shirt. I am interested to hear what others think, great topic to discuss.

God bless
mj

2013/6/19 16:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

When I think of red I think of Christmas sadly! We should think of the blood of Christ that takes away the sins of the world.

2013/6/19 17:05Profile

Re:

Apple (as in fruit) and NO.

2013/6/19 17:36
Koheleth

NC

From my background in the world, red can have this connotation. From my more recent background in the church, red is definitely an off-limits color in the minds of many. But even in the world, what does red signify? The red sports car. Red lipstick. Red shoes (or maybe you think of Dorothy). A red cape or skirt. I guess you could add to this list. But to balance, I know my mother has always favored red (mostly her red sweater) because red is also a bright and cheerful color (think cardinals and Christmas) with a certain amount of sophistication (think roses and power ties), which are more the reasons why my mother favors red. So I think the summary is that red can easily carry those worldly or racy connotations, but not universally. Examine the usage and context.

2013/6/19 20:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

As I look at red, I see a color that originated in the creative mind of God which means it is good. He used it in nature, delighting many who take their time to observe and appreciate. However good something is, the devil will take it and use it to symbolize sin with it. Consider the rainbow: God made the rainbow but moderns have taken that symbol to symbolize their perversion. Many of the other colors are used to symbolize a human condition/emotion like yellow - cowardliness; green - immature; black - sin; purple - rage; gray - something that defies categorizing; blue - depression....

It may help to understand why the old people were reluctant to wear red is because of 'red light districts' that exists to cater to the lusts of men. Prostitution back then was a very serious sin - back then they called it 'white slavery'. I have read of women being lured into it - unknowingly - by promises of high wages but once there they were locked up with threats of death if attempts of escape were made. These reports were wide spread among Believers as recent as 60 years ago. (Just came across a pamphlet detailing this - found in my grandfathers papers given to me by my mom.) It was scary, very scary. The same thing occurs today but is referred to as 'human trafficking' and it is no less scary.

(I read an old book "The Girl From Montana" by Grace Livingston Hill recently. In it she details a girl who was lured and her escape. Unlike many of her books this story seems more realistic and thus educational.)

Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Personally, I wear some red but given the times we are living in in which men are more bold in their exercise of sin I was wondering about this issue of wearing red. There are other colors one can wear - it is not that one is limited in the choosing of colors. Never do I want to give any man bent on sin the impression that I am available to them for sinful purposes.

Thank-you. Appreciate your opinions.

ginnyrose

2013/6/20 9:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

In Proverbs 31:21, it tells us that all her household is clothed in scarlet.

Just food for thought.

2013/6/20 10:14Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Red

I like red shirts, would not consider wearing red pants or shorts, or red shoes. I don't like men wearing pink, just not a clothing message I want to send.

Man looks on the outside, God looks on the inside. Well and good. May my attire never distract from what God is doing and seeing on the inside, and may I always be aware that men are judging me by what they see on the outside!

2013/6/20 11:16Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Amen! This is my concern.

2013/6/20 16:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy