SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : The Head Covering Movement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
allaboard

Re:

What does the church do when some are convinced and some are not convinced on a matter?

They pray and wait on God and continue to love one another. There is really not a whole lot more you can do, especially after reading all various articles of why and why not.

All the church can do is pray and ask God. We cannot force one another into something that they have no conviction about.

2013/6/17 14:24Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
Koheleth no one is denying that head covering is not in the scriptures. But the question would be is the command still binding on the church today or was it a cultural issue particular to the Corithians.

All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable. However not all scripture is applicable. That would certainly convey O.T. law. There are ceremonial verses in the Old Covenant writings that are not binding on New Covenant believers.

There are web sites that will argue both sides of the passage under question. It may be for the Holy Spirit to lead and guide what each sister is to do in each situation.

Great questions. Is there anything in the New Covenant that is cultural? I guess we could argue that baptism is cultural since the Jews and John the Baptist practiced it before Jesus. Since the entire New Covenant was birthed into Jewish and Roman culture, I guess those of us who live in English-speaking lands could argue it is all cultural. Please don't misunderstand. I am not at all trying to be sarcastic, but rather very serious. How do we decide which Scriptures are okay to throw out because they were only cultural? What about the idea that "holy men led by the Spirit spoke from God"?

And I agree that it may be for each sister to do as led by the Lord. This leading would absolutely have to do with her husband or father and with godly teachers in the church. "No Scripture is of any private interpretation."

2013/6/17 14:35Profile

Re:

What do Elisabeth Elliot, Corrir Ten Boon, and Nancy Leigh DeMoss have in common? To the best of my knowledge they did not wear a head covering. Yet they were mightily used by God. Dies anybody dispute this?

Bearmaster.

2013/6/17 14:38
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
What do Elisabeth Elliot, Corrir Ten Boon, and Nancy Leigh DeMoss have in common? To the best of my knowledge they did not wear a head covering. Yet they were mightily used by God. Dies anybody dispute this?

Brother, obviously no one considers having a head covering practice the greater spirituality where someone is more saved or more anointed with the Spirit. It is a simple act of obedience that declares a hidden spiritual truth. Not all sisters receive the revelation of it because it is not taught in mainstream christendom and also that is not a very important command compared to many other repeated New Covenant principles and commands.

Thus it is important because it "is" in Scripture. Yet it is not a full requirement for a healthy church. All first century Christians gentile or Jewish wore head covering, that is just a fact. Along with over 1900 years of Christianity by in-large had this practice.

Another way to show how this is practical is by the question: Does Christianity change everything about us or just our hearts and we can still live 100% like the world in everyway including our appearance etc? Obviously Scripture has much to share on how we can be different in almost every realm of life.

Again brethren for me this is not a point of division for any brethren. We MUST NOT divide over this but we should give freedom to those who feel led to practice this. And those that practice this should NOT ever demand it of others. That to me is a worthy conclusion and let each person be convinced in his own mind.

I am going to close and lock the thread at this point to just leave the discussions as-is and consider them profitable to encourage saints who have interest to seek the Lord personally on this matter.

It was a blessing that by-in large there was a graceful tone to many posts and we can disagree with each other on this and still 100% be brethren who are united in the common faith and pursuing Christ as His Bride.

2013/6/17 14:46Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
What does the church do when some are convinced and some are not convinced on a matter?

They pray and wait on God and continue to love one another. There is really not a whole lot more you can do, especially after reading all various articles of why and why not.

All the church can do is pray and ask God. We cannot force one another into something that they have no conviction about.

Was this article ever about forcing anyone to do anything? Please be careful with where you allow your thoughts to take you.

In the Bible, they did not "pray and wait on God and continue to love one another" as good as that sounds. They had what is sometimes called the "Jerusalem Council" where all had a chance to share their view and then the ones on whom God's leading rested concluded the matter by giving their experience (Peter) and Scripture (James).

Even though this meeting resulted in bringing out God's will for all churches, following Christ has never been about being forced to do anything. Neither Christ nor his apostles nor any spirit-controlled believer since has ever forced another to do anything. The call in any and all areas of the Christian life is for "whoever will".

2013/6/17 14:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy