SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Did foster mom in Conneticut REALLY obey the Bible???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re: In conclusion

Quote:
I guess some of you find that since the bible does not specifically name step or foster children that it is not really relevant. Thats a slippery slope because once you adopt that position it is an easy matter to justify away almost any Biblical precept. So we are at a crossroads here. You guys can go the direction you have chosen and I will do the same...On this matter I will dogmatically disagree with a few of you. dohzman

I have never looked before to see what the meaning of "rod" is when used in the verses where it is applicable. I find that the same word translated "rod" is used in several ways and both have to do with authority. It is used on the one hand to mean literally a physical punishment or else a physical consequence. It is used in reference to the "back" and so it must mean in that sense a physical reality. It is also used much more in the sense of the "rod" of a tribe, i.e. authority of a tribe to discipline other members and it is used in the sense of the Lord's physical discipline of the nations a "rod of iron". "Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me still" as a sceptre of authority is another use and we are told that when the Lord removes His rod [judgement] it brings comfort and takes away fear.

From all of this what seems to be at the bottom of the idea of disciplining children, peoples, or nations lies the fear of the Lord and the comfort which comes from obedience. That would seem something even a child could understand. The question is however whether a person who has a contract with a government agency or for that matter even with the child's parent…..can use a "rod" to discipline a child in defiance of the law or parental authority. Even if the parent of a child being cared for on a day basis would have the final say. This can be no less true for the government who has become the legally responsible party. Step children cannot be an issue as the marriage of both parents brings all the children into the same relationship with both parents as well as with one another. I can't see the need for dogmatic agreement or disagreement. It is simply a matter of common sense and abiding by the law of the land. But the purpose and emphasis must be motivated by love and not anger.

2013/5/29 18:15
dohzman

Re: amrkelly

amrkelly;) I am not angry at all, a little surprised, but not angry. You see the commitments we make with the words of our mouth are contracts and agreements and I believe they should be honored, however because I listen to the the Word of God and see it way differently, I'm sure than most here, I do not reply to often to much of what I read unless it really strikes a cord. In the beginning of this the thing what stood out to me was the utter lack of mercy and compassion toward one whom we are supposed to be willing to lay our lives down for. But so much for that.
I do however want to point out something that we have all read and no one talks about because...well because it is wrapped into a nice little story in the birth of Jesus, which we examine, perhaps very, ummmm....much the same, year in year out. That is the contract the wise men made with Herod Matt 2:7-9 plus a few , anyway they made a contractual agreement to report back, they gave their word..Now we all know that God warned them and the rest of the historical account, the question is one of MORAL OBEDIENCE to the conviction of God laid upon them, Was their obedience sin or an honest attempt to obey what they believe they received from God after the fact? In the same way, could this poor sisters action be something after the fact?

Conclusion: It does not really matter since we can not know the matter in its entirety. What does matter is our response toward a fellow saint who needs our prayers and encouragement...who knows....she may very well be reading what everyone here is writing right now? No body really knows exactly who is visiting this site on a regular or semi-regular basis, or perhaps just stumbles onto it. I do know one thing, if it was me and I read what I've read here on this thread, I would get really angry, may even stumble at some of the comments, and that is not God Honoring, not at all.

2013/5/29 19:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am not angry at all, a little surprised, but not angry. dohzman

Hi dohzman my reference to anger was not with regard to yourself it was with regard to the centrality of this post. Namely the sister who bruised a child whilst disciplining that child. You see for me there is always a rational basis for everything even when that rationale is predicated on anger. The sister in question must have been interviewed extensively with regards to becoming a foster carer. In that process she must have been required to express something of her understanding of discipline. I take it therefore that she did not hold to a formal view of discipline incorporating corporal punishment of children when she succeeded with that process. If she had then she lied if she had not then she lost her temper. Perhaps she got saved some time thereafter. Only the Lord knows.

To say more than that would be unkind but one thing is for certain it is the Lord's name which we are using to defend ourselves in these circumstances and it is profoundly wrong. It is a mistake and the consequences of it will be greater rebellion and lawlessness amongst those we cause to stumble.

When we get something wrong we should admit it and accept the process which follows not defend what we have done by claiming that the state has erred in removing physical discipline from their understanding. The state is not the parent. The state is the rod. That would be a better way to think about applying the rod and not to little children's bodies.

2013/5/30 5:07
dohzman

Re: .....:)

Ok, I can see your point here. I think one report I read said that the child was 4 years old, it has been so long since my children were 4 I can't remember if they were in diapers or not at that age? I read several articles reported from several different news outlets. The Family Services statement in one report made a statement that they train all foster parents in how to deal with the children in a classroom setting. But my best guess is that the woman had to many buttons pushed and "went off". Probably the bruise or welt she left was due to the diaper...good cushion there:) and the spoon may have missed on 1 of the swings and caught the child's upper leg and that is where the bruise was because in one of the news articles I read it commented that the Natural mother on a supervised visit saw her daughter bend over and thats when she saw the bruise and everything came to light.

Regardless of the hows and whys you are correct about laying the blame on God, but I personally could not find anything where she directly made a statement about moral conviction on this incident. I think its probably overzealous reporting, however, that said in the States here more and more parents that are strong outwardly Christian in their stance are losing their own flesh and blood children over this very same issue. There have been more and more cases popping up all over the Country and it is clearly a stage set for battle and one where eventually the Christian community will be forced to fight in courts across this land or just roll over and allow the government to control us and the way we raise our children. However as to the rod of correction, a good spanking (parents under control) never hurt any child in the long run. I have dealt with young people for more than 20 years and there has been a few which you can tell have clearly never been corrected in their young life, let alone spanked. Anyway...God Bless bro. daryl

2013/5/30 9:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy