SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New pope urges Church to return to its Gospel roots

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

New pope urges Church to return to its Gospel roots

In his first public Mass, Pope Francis urged the Catholic Church on Thursday to stick to its Gospel roots and shun modern temptations, warning that it would become just another charitable group if it forgot its true mission.

In a heartfelt, simple homily, the Argentinian pope laid out a clear moral path for the 1.2-billion-member Church, which is beset by scandals, intrigue and strife.

Addressing cardinals in the frescoed Sistine Chapel the day after his election there, Jorge Bergoglio said the Church should be more focused on the Gospels of Jesus Christ.

"We can walk all we want, we can build many things, but if we don't proclaim Jesus Christ, something is wrong. We would become a compassionate NGO and not a Church which is the bride of Christ," he said, speaking in Italian without notes.

The first non-European pope in 1,300 years, Bergoglio's initial steps suggested he would bring a new style to the papacy, favoring humility and simplicity over pomp, grandeur and ambition among its top officials.

Whereas his predecessor, Pope Benedict, delivered his first homily in Latin, laying out his broad vision for the Church, Francis adopted the tone of parish priest, focusing on faith.

"When we walk without the cross, when we build without the cross and when we proclaim Christ without the cross, we are not disciples of the Lord. We are worldly," he told the massed ranks of cardinals clad in golden vestments.

"We may be bishops, priests, cardinals, popes, all of this, but we are not disciples of the Lord," he added.

Earlier, Pope Francis had quietly slipped out of the Vatican to pray for guidance at one of Rome's great basilicas before returning briefly to a Rome hostel, where he had left his bags before entering the secret conclave on Tuesday.

Francis, who has a reputation for frugality and an understated lifestyle, insisted on paying the bill. "He was concerned about giving a good example of what priests and bishops should do," a Vatican spokesman said.

Father Pawel Rytel-Andrianik, who lives in the same residence in the winding backstreets of central Rome, told Reuters: "I don't think he needs to worry about the bill. This house is part of the Church and it's his Church now."

GOOD HEALTH

The new pontiff has postponed for a few days a trip to the papal summer retreat south of Rome, to meet Benedict, who last month became the first pontiff in 600 years to step down, saying that at 85 he was too frail to lead the troubled Church.

Francis is, at 76, older than many other contenders for the papacy and his age was one of several big surprises about the selection of the Argentine cardinal. The Vatican said on Thursday he was "in very good shape" despite having a lung partially removed more than 50 years ago.

Bergoglio is the first Jesuit pope, an order traditionally dedicated to serving the papacy, and the first to take the name Francis in honor of the 12th-century Italian saint from Assisi who spurned wealth to pursue a life of poverty.

No Vatican watchers had expected the conservative Argentinian to get the nod, and some of the background to the surprise vote began trickling out on Thursday.

French Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard told reporters: "We were looking for a pope who was spiritual, a shepherd. I think with Cardinal Bergoglio, we have this kind of person. He is also a man of great intellectual character who I believe is also a man of governance."

Ricard added that what Bergoglio said during cardinals' meetings before the conclave also impressed the 114 electors.

Despite never having been tipped for success, Austria Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn said the Argentinian was clearly popular amongst the so-called princes of the Church from the start.

"Cardinal Bergoglio wouldn't have become pope in the fifth ballot, if he had not been a really strong contender for the papacy from the beginning," he said.

Morale among the faithful has been hit by a widespread child sex abuse scandal and in-fighting in the Church government or Curia, which many prelates believe needs radical reform.

Francis is seen as a Church leader with the common touch and communications skills, in sharp contrast with Benedict's aloof intellectual nature.

The new style was immediately on display on Wednesday as he took his first tentative steps as pontiff into the public gaze, addressing cheering crowds gathered in the cobbled esplanade beneath St. Peter's Basilica.

"I ask a favor of you ... pray for me," he urged the crowds, telling them the 114 other cardinal-electors "went almost to the end of the world" to find a new leader.

CHANGE OF DIRECTION

Bergoglio's election answered some fundamental questions about the direction of the Church in the coming years.

After more than a millennium of European leadership, the cardinal-electors looked to Latin America, where 42 percent of the world's Catholics live. The continent is more focused on poverty and the rise of evangelical churches than questions of materialism and sexual abuse, which dominate in the West.

Italian media commentators said on Thursday the power of the Italian voting bloc amongst the cardinals, nearly a quarter of the total, had been undermined by the "Vatileaks" scandal that revealed turmoil and corruption inside the Curia.

This reduced the chances of election of one of the front runners, Milan Archbishop Angelo Scola.

Italian bishops had egg on their faces on Thursday after it was revealed that they sent congratulations to Scola, assuming he had been chosen, just after Bergoglio appeared at the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica following his election.

Bergoglio was born into a family of seven, his father an Italian immigrant railway worker and his mother a housewife. He became a priest at 32, a decade after losing a lung due to respiratory illness and quitting his chemistry studies. He has a reputation as someone willing to challenge powerful interests and has had a sometimes difficult relationship with Argentine President Cristina Fernandez and her late husband and predecessor, Nestor Kirchner.

Displaying his conservative orthodoxy, he has spoken out strongly against gay marriage, denouncing it in 2010 as "an attempt to destroy God's plan," and is expected to pursue the uncompromising moral teachings of Benedict and John Paul II, but with a great concern for the poor and social problems.

According to New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Francis raised gales of laughter from fellow cardinals at a relaxed dinner after his election, telling them: "May God forgive you."

At the Basilica of St. Francis in the Italian town of Assisi, the monks were overjoyed at Francis's choice of name. One of them, Father Guillermo Spirito, said he was also from Argentina.

"I have great admiration for his great humility, his simple, everyman manner. The last time I was with him was in 2010 and he told me that St. Francis was a paradigm of how to live the gospel," he told Reuters.

Francis' inaugural Mass will be held on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/14/us-pope-idUSBRE92D05P20130314

2013/3/15 22:02Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: New pope urges Church to return to its Gospel roots

From the Reuters article: "After more than a millennium of European leadership, the cardinal-electors looked to Latin America, where 42 percent of the world's Catholics live. The continent is more focused on poverty and the rise of evangelical churches than questions of materialism and sexual abuse, which dominate in the West."

I suspect that there is a difficult day ahead for "evangelicals" in Latin America. They've been growing in numbers, and that has troubled the Roman Catholic Church.

But now that Latin Americans have their own home-grown pope, there is likely going to be a strong popular current drawing the wayward children back into the embrace of Mother Church.

On ther other hand, those who refuse to acknowledge the RCC as their mother and the pope as their father are likely going to face severe persecution. There is some of that even now, but I think likely it will get worse.

Allan

2013/3/16 11:20Profile

Re:

Indeed brother AD,

I have a dear brother who is a missionary in Mexico and the persecution suffered when one dares to leave the Catholic church is horrible, yet, those who who know and count the cost are very strong believers. God bless them Lord..... bro Frank

2013/3/16 13:03
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re:

Not trying to sound any ecumenical bells here, but this new pope seems somewhat different to me. He has a strong embrace for the cross and the gospel and for the 'least of these'. It seems as if these are the kind of folks in the RCC that God is after. Who knows maybe God can work miracles and bring many a Catholics to repentance. He may even use this man.

Of course this can just be all talk from this pope but one thing that really astounded me about this guy was the fact that he asked the people to pray for him, something that shows humility. and that's breaking centuries of tradition.

Just my thoughts.

2013/3/16 22:58Profile

Re:

Quote:
Not trying to sound any ecumenical bells here, but this new pope seems somewhat different to me. He has a strong embrace for the cross and the gospel and for the 'least of these'. It seems as if these are the kind of folks in the RCC that God is after. Who knows maybe God can work miracles and bring many a Catholics to repentance. He may even use this man.

Of course this can just be all talk from this pope but one thing that really astounded me about this guy was the fact that he asked the people to pray for him, something that shows humility. and that's breaking centuries of tradition. elias7291

Francis is a member of the Society of Jesus. The Jesuits as this Society is commonly referred to is essentially a monastic order. Where it differs from other monastic orders or else mendicant orders such as the Dominicans and the Franciscans is largely due to its historical roots and the intention of its founding member Ignatius of Loyola. Even after the banishment of the Jesuit order from Europe in the 18th century by the Papacy, the Society continued unbistrurbed in many places on the edges of Europe as well as in other continents. This banishment led to the order being able to develop more political skills and they were very adept at nurturing patronage from Royal households as well as other nobles and even Merchants. When this banishment was lifted by the Papacy in the 19th century the Society met and agreed to remain precisely the same in intention of its purpose as was first set down by Ignatius of Loyola from the beginning. This was the preservation of the Papal Office, being invested in the Bishop of Rome. It has to be seen in its true light. This was not the preservation of a man, it was the preservation of the Office.

As with the major order of Dominicans and the minor order of Franciscans, the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) was immediately characterised by the efforts of a single individual in the first instance. What is unique about Pope Francis, is as you say, his stated intention to embrace a Franciscan attitude to the responsibility of the Pastor of Rome. Given that this cuts across the Jesuit approach and purpose (which is not mendicant), what we now see in one man, is a legacy and benefit of the efforts of the Jesuits to preserve the Papal Office, as well as the mendicant legacy of Francis of Assisi to live a humble and simple life, giving credence to the Papal Office which has never existed before in the sight of all men, and not simply Roman Catholics.

Other Popes have been popular in their own day for reasons of their own day, some have been hated, but no one has been both a Jesuit and an intentional Franciscan before. This does indeed represent a profound problem for all who see the inherent lie of the Office, being as it is, no true catholic office. In short the Office of Chief apostle belongs to Christ, Who alone is the author and finisher of our faith, yet as we know this title has been laid hold off and used by successive generations of men called Bishop of Rome, since the end of the second century beginning with Pope Victor. If those who are both born again and similarly are not against the spread of the gospel unto new life for others, do not find a new language to describe what is happening before our very eyes, we will find ourselves going against the will and purposes of God in these last days. It is really going to be a challenge.

2013/3/17 6:18

Re: New pope urges Church to return to its Gospel roots

here's a quote, which underlines the thought process's of rome itself:

Quote:
Francis, who has a reputation for frugality and an understated lifestyle, insisted on paying the bill. "He was concerned about giving a good example of what priests and bishops should do," a Vatican spokesman said.

Father Pawel Rytel-Andrianik, who lives in the same residence in the winding backstreets of central Rome, told Reuters: "I don't think he needs to worry about the bill. This house is part of the Church and it's his Church now."

i certainly appreciate ANY man who desires the frugal and the simple, but that last line?

"This house is part of the Church and it's his Church now".

oh. "his Church"....since its a small "h" in "his", i presume what this man means to says, its "his" meaning its Francis's "Church" now?

okay........ummmmm, might God have a little Something to say about this?

Praise God, via this forum, i have been blessed enough to dig out various brothers and sisters that i have either fellowshipped face to face with...or fellowship via the phone, only awaiting the day, we can fellowship face to face. Just the other day, i believe that brother Andrew, (AMRKelly) and i passed a sort of wonderful fire, that knit us together in Jesus. My brother lives in England, a land i was pleased to work in days past, i truly love Britain, Scotland, Wales, Ireland....and maybe someday, i can actually see Andrew. Another dear brother, who i fellowship extensively with via phone is my dear brother Frank (appolus) and i pray he knows this side of Heaven how dear and precious our fellowship is to me, as our "wee chats" are much more than that, to me. My brother Frank has served in many ways as my dear pastor Ted has served, an elder brother and mentor, though brother in human years is indeed younger than i.

My brother Frank is a Scotsman, i only bring that up, because BEFORE i came to speak with my brother Frank, or to begin, God willing, a Godly fellowship with my brother Andrew, one of the first men i 'discovered' when i came to know Jesus, follow Jesus was Dr. Ian Paisley.

i stumbled upon Ian, because i when first born anew in Christ, my heart was canted towards "revival", as i myself had undergone revival...a quiet revival, where a Jew, like myself had Messiah revealed TO me and IN me....up on a lonely horse ranch high in the Santa Monican Mountains of Southern California...all alone, just God the Holy Ghost and myself.

Ian really spoke to my heart,and the long story short, Frank helped me realize, (as well as reading others writings) that once Ian delved into politics....i dont how to say this...it might have emptied his message a bit. But those early sermons, where he spoke against rome, the pope, the rcc, and any 'ecumenical' councils...nobody spoke with a stronger or clearer "voice".

lately, some of these earlier sermons, this one "Why True Protestants reject the Pope"...resonate even MORE with me, but i do want to say, i post with tredipation, because i want to be sensitive to my brother Frank. (in actuality, my personal three favorite preachers/teachers are Duncan Campbell, Len Ravenhill and Michael Brown.....Duncan especially)

Ian Paisley "Why True Protestants reject the pope"
http://www.sermonaudio.com/playpopup.asp?SID=6846

in Jesus love, neil

2013/3/17 11:12

Re:

The Jesuits main role shortly after their founding was counter reformation. They are credited with " saving," Poland and Lithuania from the reformation. They are zealously loyal to the office of Pope and actually take an extra vow in this regard. Even if they believe that something is very wrong, if the Papal hierarchy pronounces it otheriwse, then they have vowed to call that which they see as black, white. Of course they believe, above all others, that when the Pope speaks on matters of faith and morals, then He speaks infallibly..........bro Frank

2013/3/17 11:37
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Andrew said, "This does indeed represent a profound problem for all who see the inherent lie of the Office, being as it is, no true catholic office. In short the Office of Chief apostle belongs to Christ, Who alone is the author and finisher of our faith, yet as we know this title has been laid hold off and used by successive generations of men called Bishop of Rome, since the end of the second century beginning with Pope Victor."

That's right, Andrew, and this is why I become troubled when well-meaning Christians say that this pope seems like a good man, and is likely going to do a lot of good.

Another of the titles the "holy father" takes is "the Vicar of Christ."

That is absolute heresy. It is not he who is here in the earth "instead of" Christ, as the word vicar means. It is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth, that Christ Himself sent into the earth in His stead when He ascended to the Father. This is so important! The Holy Spirit ALONE is the Vicar of Christ in the earth! Anyone else who takes the title has to be an ANTI-Christ.

And so, Andrew, you spoke of "the inherent lie of the office," (the papal office). That's right on the mark. Meaning that if this pope is a man who loves the Lord Jesus, if he has a genuine relationship with Him, if he is truly one of the sheep of His pasture, the first thing he will have to do is repudiate his office and step down.

You see what I am saying: we are not judging the man. God will do that. It's the papacy and the Roman Catholic Church that we stand firmly against.

Allan

2013/3/17 11:50Profile

Re: A Warnibg

Brothers and sisters I am getting a little concerned here. It is almost as if some want to sing Cum-by-yah and welcome the RCC as brethren. Even to the point of acknowledging Francis as a brother in Christ. I fell into that trap regarding MotberTheresa. .Both Mother Theresa and Francis do good works for the poor and appear virtuous. But so do the Mormons. And many evangelicals used Mormon morality to justify voting for Romney. Even causing Billy Graham to remove Mormonism as a cult from its website.

Jesus warned us of false christs and prophets who would come and decieve the elect if possible. Paul warned us that Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light. Brethren be warned. You can recognize the clear danger of Islam. But could be blind sided by the Catholics or Mormons who profess to believe in Christ.

Anyone who believes that the RCC are brethren should review again church history and see how much blood was shed by the RCC. That is the putting to death of saints who believed in Jesus. Not to mention the Jews and Moslems during the Crusades. Current history suggest that the RCC colabirated with the Nazi's in Hitler's final solution with the Jews. When Hitler was slaughtering the Jews the RCC was silent. It was a few lone voices that cried out against the atrocitrs against the Jews. One being a Lutherin pastor by the name of Dietrich Bonhoffer.

I am not into Catholic bashing. But I am certainly not wanting to sing Cum-by-yah and regard the RCC as brethren because of this new pope.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/17 14:23

Re:

Quote:
Just the other day, i believe that brother Andrew, (AMRKelly) and i passed a sort of wonderful fire, that knit us together in Jesus. My brother lives in England, a land i was pleased to work in days past, i truly love Britain, Scotland, Wales, Ireland....and maybe someday, i can actually see Andrew. Neil

Any time you have a mind to come to England Neil you are welcome in my house and my family will no doubt take a delight in you as well. If it pleases you, we can go on a journey from the south west peninsula of Cornwall ancient celtic land of monks and friars. I live in Bodmin (Bosmenegh) bos=dwelling and menegh=monks. Petroc founded a monastery here in the 6th century hence the name. Then onto the village of Babworth in west Lincolnshire, place of the first separatist pastor in England. Then onto Gainsborough, place of the pastor John Smythe and the See Baptist separatist’ many of whom sailed in the Mayflower to the colony of Virginia in the 1600’s. Then finally onto the outer hebrides and to the Isle of Lewis, place of the Lewis revival. Strangely I have lived in all of these places in the last 20 years. I regularly pass between all of these places and we can find fellowship in all of them. More important than all of this we can speak of the Lord and His great goodness to all men.

http://www.pilgrimfathersorigins.org/Pilgrim_Fathers_Origins_Tour_Babworth.html

2013/3/17 15:45

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy