SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christian Marine kills Police wife on Christmas Eve

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Christian Marine kills Police wife on Christmas Eve

Watch the video about his supposed transformation by Christ
of a marine soldier who killed his wife.

Watch the testimony of his supposed changed life in 2010.

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/video/?bcpid=557970742001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAGgk8Us~,dLqgruaIT6p0-bOvkmnTqxgp_tjv2Dsg&bclid=0&bctid=2054803896001

Then a couple of years later he kills his wife with on Christmas eve.

Where was God here?

A 10-minute video posted more than a year ago on YouTube makes it clear that former Marine Benjamin Sebena, who has been charged in the shooting death of his wife, a Wauwatosa police officer, left Iraq a profoundly affected man.

"My experiences in Iraq were that of having to watch over 50 of my friends, that are good friends, die. Having to kill people. Having to kill a child who tried to kill me," Sebena says as a camera moves toward him in the back of his church, sitting in his favorite seat, the one in front of a pillar so his back is always covered.

"I was a Marine," Sebena's voice says over the video of him sitting alone and staring downward. He has a crew cut and wears an olive green long-sleeved T-shirt.

"We're trained to kill. We're trained that death is OK. Wasn't trained how to deal with the death, but we're definitely trained to kill."

His wife, Jennifer Sebena, was shot to death early Christmas Eve while on duty. Charges against Benjamin Sabena are expected to be filed later Thursday.

The video, which was made for Elmbrook Church's No Regrets Men's Conference in 2010, shows Benjamin Sebena talking about his experience as a Marine in Iraq and how the church helped him after his two tours of duty were finished. The conference's purpose was to empower men in the church.

The conference, which posted the testimony on YouTube in late October 2011, made the video private late Thursday morning. The Journal Sentinel made a transcript of the video before public viewing was disabled.

As the video continues, Benjamin Sebena looks up, and the clip flashes to combat scenes in Iraq with explosions, a machine-gunner firing from behind sandbags, helicopters lifting the wounded. Civilians crying.

A picture of the teenage Sebena appears on the screen. It is followed by family pictures and he talks about how he felt before he joined the military - lost.

"I just wasn't feeling 100% loved. I wasn't feeling important," he says.

"Before I went in, I was pretty much like a hippie. I was very laid back, but the anger was there. It was just very hidden. Then when I went into the Marine Corps, they really taught me how to centralize the anger. After my training, it definitely amplified . . . .It got worse."

The scene flashes back to explosions in Iraq and soldiers running down streets with guns drawn and masked Iraqis on the street holding their own machine guns, barrels pointed up.

"The first time I came back from Iraq, I was extremely angry and very lost in my ways," he says. "I was running red lights. I was taking my motorcycle 150 miles an hour down the expressway. I was scared out of my mind and I was angry all the time. It was a dark, lonely world."

In September 2004, Sebena says, he returned to Iraq for his second tour. The violence at the time was so rampant that he says he and his fellow Marines were shot at every time they left their encampment.

"We were losing guys left and right . . . .I lost over 50 friends to combat injuries. Basically we had to find a release."

It was the Internet.

A picture on the screen flashes to what looks like a social media site with the image of a 22-year-old woman. Her black hair is pulled back behind a big smile. The name on the screen says Jen.

"On MySpace, I found a girl that I used to go to high school on there with and she was cute so I sent a little thing like, 'Hey, I'm a Marine. I'm in Iraq. How ya doin?' And she sent back like, 'Ok, I'm good.' So that didn't work, but I'm a Marine, so I kept on trying. So every day we kept on writing each other emails back and forth, if not two or three of them a day. And then Feb. 3 of 2005 happened."

That's the day during his second tour in Iraq when he says a friend asked him to step outside for a smoke. He declined, and moments later a mortar round struck and killed the friend. Sebena was also severely wounded and was eventually taken by C-130 to Germany and then to California, where his recovery continued for injuries to his leg and arm. He also continued his courtship.

"We just kept on writing back and forth every day and slowly building our relationship up," he says.

On the mend, Sebena left the military and returned to his home state.

"I came back home to Wisconsin and started spending more time with Jen and our love flourished. We became actually infatuated with each other and then one day I asked her if she would be happy to spend the rest of her life with me and she said yes."

They got married and started attending Elmbrook Church and taking classes for young couples. That is apparently where he met Rob Adams.

"Ben really shared his heart with me, and I developed an appreciation for the impact that war had had on his life. For the impact that war had had on his marriage," Adams says on the video.

Pictures appear on the screen of Sebena meeting with a small crew of men from the church.

"I felt loved. I felt protected and I felt safe - for the first time," Sebena says.

"I realized I had to rededicate my life to God."

"What anyone will see when they meet Ben is he's a delightful young man. He's had some challenges in his life, many of which came from being at war. He gave me a deep appreciation for the sacrifice that he and a lot of other young men have made to defend our country," Adams says.

Another image from Iraq flashes on the screen of Sebena in combat dress, wearing a black headband and holding a machine gun. It's followed by a picture of him with pursed lips, a pistol cocked in the air.

Sebena decided to start his own group to help fellow veterans.

"What better way than to reach out to veterans that have come back from combat. A lot of them are in a deep dark world of pain, and the only people that really can relate to a combat veteran is another combat veteran," Sebena says.

"I've been there. I've done it. I've been to the same places as them. I've been into the dark places, and I want to help bring them into th

http://www.heavy.com/news/2012/12/charge-cop-killed-by-marine-husband-while-on-patrol-on-christmas-eve/

Where was God here?

2012/12/30 6:03

Re: Christian Marine kills Police wife on Christmas Eve

Quote:
Watch the video about his supposed transformation by Christ
of a marine soldier who killed his wife.

Watch the testimony of his supposed changed life in 2010.

Then a couple of years later he kills his wife with on Christmas eve.

Where was God here?

It isn't really possible to say if this young man was in any way really converted and born again. Perhaps it is a case of the psychology of God and not a true revelation of Christ the risen Lord. The anger he expressed as arising out of his childhood when he says "he never felt loved" even though he lived in a christian family etc, is deepened by his experience in the Marine Corp because his anger is channeled and he even kills a child at one time for fear of his own life. His anger seems to have been centred on God Himself and would appear that his action of killing his wife may have had the same root as well. Clearly his anger didn't go away.

You ask the question where God is in all of this! I presume you mean where is God in this young man's life or perhaps you mean where is the evidence of his conversion. One thing is for sure when we are willing to make a show of God in the lives of others by encouraging them to speak as though they truly were born again then we may simply become a stumbling block to them and they will end up paying the price in their own bodies. It demonstrates the utter foolishness of boasting in the flesh, even the flesh of religion and having no discernment to really comprehend the condition of the man. Where were the elders and leaders when his relationship to his wife fell to pieces? Where were the prayers and the keeping of the flock? May God keep us and deliver us from religious nonsense and vanity.

2012/12/30 6:53

Re:

A couple of things. This is why I'm so against the teaching of the modern church. 99% of the modern church has false converts like this. They probably gave him an emotional experience and gave him the pressure to do a testimony. The conversion wasn't a real one even though he was genuine.
But now he has to act like a converted person which causes more trouble and makes him a pharisee.

This is why I hate modern church teachings like this quiz

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=47876&forum=48&14

And where was God in this? Obviously, this guy was trying to seek God. He didn't start this search for God cause of any other reason. And God let him down.

Where was God in the Holocaust. Where is God when there are millions dying of starvation admist all unanswered prayers.

I've been seeking God all my life and I have never had an answered prayer.

2012/12/30 8:21
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Why blame God?

Man - including you- are endowed with a freewill. If you make bad choices you will reap. If you choose God, the devil will work to distract you from that choice. It is up to you. God seldom interferes in the choices man makes but will use them to prove to you how stupid and bad the devil is. Who you choose to believe is up to you.

2012/12/30 13:32Profile

Re:

with much respect to you ginnyrose.

So the jewish people who died in the holocaust freely chose a horrible death? They made poor decisions and their punishment was to be apart of one of the most gruesome displays of hate and injustice in history?

I got a friend who died in his 20's. He did not "choose" to die.

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguement. But I've been following God for decades and really intensely following God for the last 3 years and God has said absolutely nothing. The only constant in my life is suffering, despair and uncertainty. The worst part is not the suffering but it's me continually putting everything on the line to find Christ, only for him to not even respond.

Sometimes "Free will" is just a christian cliche. We bring it up any time God doesn't show up or when a christian messes up. Then when we need prayer and a miracle, we don't bring up "free will", we say that God is sovereign and in control of everything.

Your free will is not as free as you think. If you really think about it, outside events and other influences control most of your life. I can't create a job out of thin air, right now. I can't change the economy.

As a person, I found out that we control very very little, after all don't christians say that "god is in control" all the time.

2012/12/30 16:18
MaryJane

Re:

I am editing my post to further pray. I am not sure if I expressed what the LORD was putting on my heart in such a way that I hoped to.

God bless
mj

Edit: Codek if you have happened to read my response to you then please know I am praying for you. I want to share some things with you but want to be prayerfull of my wording and felt perhaps to pray more before I return to post again.

God bless
mj

2012/12/30 17:37Profile

Re:

I read your post and found nothing wrong with it. But it was like a foreign language to me. Yes I agree that bitterness and anger is a sin but there are reasons for that anger.

When I wasn't bitter or angry, he never answered my prayer either. I only became bitter and angry when he continually lied to me and left me for dead. I kept trusting him and having faith in him, only to get annihilated for following
Christ. Did I not have enough faith? How am I suppose to be ok with a God that constantly tortures me, leaves me hanging and expects so much of me? What am I suppose to do?
I ask God and he doesn't say a word. I tried everything and he still won't say it.

I've also asked God to show me how I'm bitter or angry and how to overcome it with no avail.

If I told my son that I would be there for him and guide him and that he is the apple of my eye but refuse to answer him, reject his prayers, not guide him at all, and set up traps for him, HOW DO I EXPECT MY SON TO REACT? Is he going to PRETEND that I love him and that I care? This is not out of bitterness or anger, not this part. How does that work? I'm really curious. Cause it sounds ridiculous.

If God is suppose to be loving, and he is suppose to answer prayer, and we're suppose to find him when we seek him.

How would you react if he doesn't do any of that when I've been seeking him all my life?

What am I suppose to do? Pretend that God answered my prayers and he cares? Pretend that he is here with me?

Does God really need for me to pretend that he is good?

I'm not saying this out of anger but out of confusion.

Then if people pretend to accept christ, will God accept that pretend acceptance at the judgement table?

Why do I have to be true when he is pretending?

Where is this God? Where? I'm literally dying to meet him.

2012/12/30 18:02
MaryJane

Re:

by codek on 2012/12/30 12:02:41

I read your post and found nothing wrong with it. But it was like a foreign language to me. Yes I agree that bitterness and anger is a sin but there are reasons for that anger.
________

Codek I don't think there is really anything more that I can share with you at this time. Its seems "you feel" you are justified in your sins, as you said you have "reasons" so anything I try to share will be of little use.

I will pray for you as the LORD gives me leading.

God bless
mj

2012/12/30 18:47Profile

Re:

I understand that

But if God doesn't answer your prayer for decades and doesn't do anything. If He doesn't do what he is suppose to do, How are you NOT suppose to be angry?

God can't do anything he wants, he is bound by his word, no?

he said seek and you shall find, he said prayers are suppose to be answered. I'm not asking for answered prayers for all of them. But to have nothing answered is ridiculous.

I'm suppose to lie to everyone and say he answered my prayers? Do you want me to give a false testimony? That's what probably happened to the marine.

where is his kindness that leads us to repentance? Isn't that in the bible. There was no kindness shown to me.

2012/12/30 18:55
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"I got a friend who died in his 20's. He did not "choose" to die."

We had a 25 YO daughter, Regina, who was married with two little ones who died of a glioblastoma (brain cancer). She did not choose to die either, but we released her to our LORD and Savior to do as He wills so He took her and we are content with that. How can we be content? Because we know she was ready to meet her Maker. And her children? In two years God provided a spouse for their dad and a mother for them. God was good and still is.

Did I grieve? Sure! But God was there to comfort me. Codek, I chose to throw myself onto the LORD for his comfort and mercy and he did that. I surrendered Regina to him. There was nothing I nor anyone could do to heal her - back then a glioblastoma victim had a 5% chance of recovery. If God would have chosen to heal her I would have been one happy mother. He did not but instead comforted me in ways that far, far surpasses anything you can imagine. I promise. If God would have healed Regina I would never have experienced the comfort He gave me...Think about that! I would never have seen this side of God...

I have also written a lot of how God helped me deal with tragedy...I am not the only person on this planet who can testify to God's faithfulness. God does not exist to make life 'happy' as moderns define happiness. True happiness comes a a result of surrendering our will,our life to the will of the LORD Jesus.

Did our SIL grieve? Yes! If you will, you can read how the LORD provided a new wife for our son-in-law here:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7247&forum=36&1

God bless you, Codek. I am trusting you will find what you are looking for.

ginnyrose

PS: BTW, my handle is the nickname I used to call Regina - Her name was Regina Rose. :-)

2012/12/30 19:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy