SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The nature of faith-do you walk in it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The nature of faith-do you walk in it?

Faith is the least self-regarding of the virtues. It is by its very nature scarcely conscious of its own existence. Like the eye that sees everything in front of it and never sees itself, faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pays no attention to itself at all. While we are looking at God, we do not see ourselves-blessed riddance. The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One. While he looks at Christ, the very things he has so long been trying to do will be getting done within him. It will be God working in him to will and to do ( see Philippians 2:13) (Tozer)

Can you see brothers and sisters the great freedom that lies with taking our spiritual eyes and gazing upon the Lord? Faith itself cannot be the object, Jesus must always be the Object. By faith we enter in, by looking to Jesus and committing our lives to Him we begin the journey, but it is the beginning and it is by faith that we venture on. Faith is not what we do it is who we look to. I exercise my faith by gazing upon the Object of my faith. Out of this gaze flows all things. This is why the “faith movement,” is an oxymoron. There can never be any movement by focusing upon faith. And of course, by the same logic, there can never be a revival by focussing on revival. It is by fixing my eyes firmly upon Jesus that I find direction in life and I move in power. ” Ah Frank, this is too simple” you may say yet this is the Lord’s economy. He has enabled every one of His children, regardless of education or rank, to be able to walk this path, this narrow path. For all that is required is that we lift up our spiritual eyes and gaze upon Him.

To continually gaze into the heart of God
Is to dwell in the realm of faith
For when we lift our eyes to Him
It is there that we are safe

To lift our eyes to the snake of brass
When we have fallen to the serpents’ bite
Is to lift our eyes to the Son of Man
And for blindness be given sight

When all around is falling
And we are caught in a storm at sea
Listen to the words of Christ our Lord
My child keep your eyes on me

What is the nature of faith my friend
How do we come to this place?
Seeing with our eyes and believing in our heart
Is to walk in an eternal gaze

This is to see what no eye can see
And to hear what no ear can hear
This is to walk in the realm of faith
Where perfect love casts out all fear

2012/12/11 16:18
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re: The nature of faith-do you walk in it?

Quote"
there can never be a revival by focussing on revival."

The way I understand revival is God rending the heavens and coming down.

That very longing for God to manifest Himself is the longing for revival. There is no separation in my mind between these two things.

Why do you see or make that separetion?

2012/12/11 16:56Profile

Re:

Hi Untobabes,

I am making the distinction between that which we long for and Jesus. Since, in your own mind there is no seperation then that would be the same thing, but for many, faith, in and of itself and or revival, in and of itself is a thing to be longed for and searched for within ourselves or pursued, when in fact when it is " that very longing for God." .............bro Frank

2012/12/11 17:19
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Thank you for clarifying that Frank.

May I ask you something that may be ralated.

You have posted this link before.
At least I think it was you.

http://youtu.be/Vnt7euRF5Pg

May I ask you what did you like about it?

2012/12/11 17:47Profile

Re:

HI sister,

Yes, I did post that last year. What I liked about it? I think it was the specific part where they sang " fall on your knees." I just was overwhelmed of the beautiful prospect of men and woman falling on their knees in adoration of the Lord Jesus. I was saddened that people go about their lives, and a Mall is a great example of it, really unaware of the glory and the majesty of God and what is really important in this life, not shopping, not Christmas or holidays or even families but the Lord Jesus Himself and His glory and His majesty................bro Frank

2012/12/11 18:03
brothagary

Re:

man that you tube link made me weep and weep

maby that was ministeing to some of the shopers ,drawing them to our savour ,,,,,i havent cryed like that in a wile

thanks frank , and sister ,,,oh im still weeping cant stop ,..oh how i want people to glorafie jesus ,in front of the lost sheep

2012/12/11 18:27Profile

Re: The nature of faith-do you walk in it?

Quote:
Faith is the least self-regarding of the virtues. It is by its very nature scarcely conscious of its own existence. Like the eye that sees everything in front of it and never sees itself, faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pays no attention to itself at all. While we are looking at God, we do not see ourselves-blessed riddance. The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One. While he looks at Christ, the very things he has so long been trying to do will be getting done within him. It will be God working in him to will and to do ( see Philippians 2:13) (Tozer)

This is a wonderful quote from Mr Tozer because it speaks into the clip untobabes has posted (http://youtu.be/Vnt7euRF5Pg) and demonstrates precisely why we have to take our eyes of ourselves and look to God and Christ. I was brought to tears when I watched this video and wondered for a moment why? Then I realised that it was not only the symbolic power of the image but more because it speaks of a potential in a nation which unless it takes its eyes of itself, its rich christian heritage and subsequent need of desiring something beyond itself, and unless it looks to Christ alone, will only ever be able to show unity in understanding something of the soul and nothing of the spirit. This is not said in judgement but with a heart of sadness. The sight of the little boy feeling compelled to kneel when he caught sight of “Joseph, Mary & Baby Jesus” and momentarily comprehended the significance of it caused itself a compulsion firstly in his parents and then a few other to do the same.

Imagine how those same men, women and children will respond when the Spirit of God’ presence is poured out upon these same people of America! Mr Tozer was concerned with the attention we give to the soul and speaks of faith in the light of what is true regarding that which is true faith. Namely that true faith always looks off to the One Who gave it in the first place. Anything less is not faith, it is the capacity of the soul to know what is true and profound yet still cannot fully comprehend it nor live by its truth and power.

2012/12/11 18:33
brothagary

Re:

being saved by faith seems to be twisted in to something man does ,rather then what christ did

i watched a movie about spurgen ,an how he was converted and his first sermon he preached ,,,,an old testament veres was used ,,look to the lord and be saved

this seems to be the beginnings of faith ,,,and seems to give more credit to god for salvation and less to men

when we look to the lord revalation comes spitual life comes faith comes ,,and grace is tasted ,,where is there then bosting

2012/12/11 18:50Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

quote"
I just was overwhelmed of the beautiful prospect of men and woman falling on their knees in adoration of the Lord Jesus"

Why brother, You have just given a definition of what revival is.

However, when I see youtubes like that, it does not move me in the least bacause I know this is not the real thing. These same people who joined in the singing are just paratoing empty words. That Jesus whose praises they were singing is a false Christ who does not bring conviction of sin or true joy of salvation. there is no difference between him and the guy in the red suit and white beard.

Such performances like these only cause furthur hardening of heart because it gives a false image of how things really are and a false hope. It creates a kind of false Christianity that can take place of the true.

Some Christians may like it because it gives them false sense of security that this is a Christian nation still but if we truly love Christ we will hate every act of pretense, all that appears to be but is not.

That is why I was wondering the reason you posted it and likened it to revival.

2012/12/11 18:53Profile

Re:

"That is why I was wondering the reason you posted it and likened it to revival."

Sheesh, I never likened it to revival. I wondered what it would be like if people genuinly got down on their knees and worshipped the Lord............bro Frank

2012/12/11 19:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy