Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Fear of the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

The Fear of the Lord

One of the things the Holy Spirit has been convicting me of is that I lack in some measure a fear of God. If I had a total fear of God, I would immediately obey Him.

Since I do not always do that, I believe I lack the fear of God. I say that's to a degree because I do obey most of the time quickly and generally repent quickly as well.

The common answer is that a Godly fear is simply a reverance to Him. I thought that too but it's apparently distinquished in Hebrews 12:28 Heb Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with [i]reverence[/i] [b]and[/b] [i]godly fear[/i]: [b]Heb 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire. [/b]

How does one obtain this Godly fear?

2005/3/2 20:15Profile
dohzman

Re: Basics

In John's gospel (I like John's gospel because over 90% of it isn't found in the other gospels and most of it deals with the last weeks of the life and teachings of Jesus while here on this earthly plain.Last things spoke or taught are always very precious.),there's a verse of scripture thats so wonderful that if one could just let it get ahold of you it will change your life for ever.Jn 7:16-17 you can read the whole discourse but try to zero in on verses 16 and 17.Let me know what you think---God bless

2005/3/2 21:01Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks Dohzman,

I actually have been listening to a sermon by David Wilkerson entitled Wild Donkeys and I have confessed that I sometimes have this spirit where I want to do whatever I want. I read the verses you cited but don't see how that answers the question I raised. Could you explain? My brain is rather cloudy this week.

I'm simply asking you and anyone led to respond to answer how you came into this fear of the Lord. I know it must come from Him and it goes beyond a reverential awe. I'm not asking how it worked for any of the great saints of old but specifically how has this fear of the Lord gripped your own heart. This fear of the Lord issue is something the Holy Spirit has repeatedly raised itself in my prayer closet the last few weeks.

Here are some verses on the fear of the Lord (there are obviously more). And he took a yoke of oxen, and hewed them in pieces, and sent them throughout all the coasts of Israel by the hands of messengers, saying, Whosoever cometh not forth after Saul and after Samuel, so shall it be done unto his oxen. And the fear of the LORD fell on the people, and they came out with one consent. 1 Samuel 11:7

The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13

By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil. Proverbs 16:6

Just to show that this not simply something from the old covenant here is a telling verse from Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

2005/3/3 5:40Profile
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

Re:

Greetings You who are Chosen to Know the Great GOD of All.

The Fear of the Lord is somthing that I seek as well.

Upon reading your last Post Gideons I started to think what do I fear about GOD.

Should I fear his Awesome Might and Power?

Should I fear His Word that Condems Sinners?

Should I fear the fact that I can do nothing without HIM?

Yes on all accounts!

But even though I Know these things yet I feel as though I do not Know the Fear Of the Lord.

Until I remember the last time I turned my back on him...

I had gotten into a Prosperity Gospel Church and I did not know what a Prosperity Gospel was at the time...
I was in Love with the Lord...I thought that God had finally Given me a Church to go to. I started to notice the messages were somehow wrong and my spirit would fight against the words they spoke.
I realized what it was and was shaken and broken and confused.
In time I blamed GOD, Then in more time I said "there is no GOD"
I started Smoking Pot and Drinking again Looking for Harder stuff too.
I Left My Wife... Ohh GOD forgive me I left my Wife.
I lost about 40 pounds in 2 months.
I could not sleep and had some kind of perspiration problem.
I handed my Wife Divorce papers and proceeded to commit Adultery.
I knew I was Dammed so to keep my mind off of this terrifying fact I would be High 24/7.
I really Wanted to Die, but I was a Coward.

What is the Fear of the Lord to me?

Betraying My GOD again.

Being Without Him In Me.

How can I go on without You LORD, I am Terrified Of being Without you JESUS.

PS. Jesus used my Wife to bring me back to him, and to this day I Fear being without him.

The Fear Of The Lord is Being without Him.

In Christ Michael

2005/3/3 6:37Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

How does one fear the Lord? There is a verse that speaks about learning the Fear of the Lord from men, but i believe it is in a negitive conotation, i apologize that i cannot remember the verse, needless to say the long to short of it is i don't think there is a formula.
At the start of last year i asked God to teach me to fear him, not to fear him as someone has taught me (e.g. just revrencing) but for me to really fear Him as the God of the universe. The word for fear in many places in the Bible could be translated "terror or dread". Why do you suppose the first thing that the angel of the Lord would say is "fear not"? If an angel is that frightening, how mush more so is thier maker. (note: they where not lil' naked baby angels with a towel around thier shoulders and thier bottoms showing :-P )I think it is a deeply personal issue to fear the Lord is divine. We must be taught to honor and revrence and fear and dread by God Himself. My advice ? Ask God to teach you to fear Him. . .might turn out to be a rough year and you might find some stuff in you that is terrible. . .but it will change your life!

2005/3/3 9:28Profile

The LORD will GIVE you fear!

For every command of God there is a promise from God that, if received, will fulfill that command. Or another way to put it is, what the law requires, God's grace freely makes available by faith. Only as a person receives the promise by faith and experiences its fulfillment in himself will he truly obey the commands of God. For example, the following command will never be obeyed without first receiving the results of the promise.

Command
Deut. 10:12 "And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in ALL His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with ALL your heart and with ALL your soul."

Promise
Jer 32:39-41 "And I will give you one heart, and one way, that you may fear me for ever, for your own good, and for your children after you: And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, that I will not turn away from you, to do you good; but I will put my fear in your heart, that you shall not depart from me. Yes, I will rejoice over you to do you good, and I will plant you in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul."

You can now, immediately exercise faith upon the Son of God. It is the first and the only thing you can do to rest your feet upon the rock. When you see the duties of the law, be sure to find the promise and grace of God that will enable you to fulfill it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to obey the law without first receiving the promise. Take that promise, and word of God and believe it.

God Said

"I will put my fear in your heart, that you shall not depart from me."

Take that promise, and word of God and believe it.

BELIEVE GOD NOW! TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD!

2005/3/3 9:48
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

You will get a good sense of the way the Bible uses the word if you see how Jesus interpreted it.

Thou shalt [u]fear[/u] the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.
(Deu 10:20 KJV)

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt [u]worship[/u] the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
(Mat 4:10 KJV)

2005/3/3 9:55Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The Fear of the Lord

I believe that Ron's reference to the verses in Deuteronomy and Matthew brings up a vital link here, that of fear of the Lord and service.

I know the Lord has been working in my own heart concerning this issue of confidence in the flesh, of serving God and doing that which seems to be very good, but doing it in my own strength ala Romans 7.

But where is the fear and trembling? Where is the uncertainty that I may well be mistaken in my efforts? Where is the leaning on God? I believe that when God works self-confidence out of our lives, He works the fear of the Lord into our lives.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/3/3 11:31Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks to all for your comments. The other message I've been meditating on this week is entitled "No Confidence in the Flesh" also by David Wilkerson.

It's certainly worth a listen as well to those who may be struggling, as I am, with this particular issue of heart.

2005/3/3 12:37Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re: Fear (of the Lord) word study

This is kind of an odd way of looking at "the fear of the Lord," but the common reference of this fear in the bible seems to be from Strongs number H3372 specifically from Lev. 19:32 (fear thy God), which breaks down into a morally revering or a causatively making afraid. This particular word is also used in Psalm 139:14 "for we are fearfully and wonderfully made." If we are to believe the psalmist, I'd say that there was no fear as the concept we would hold in God's mind at the time. The same word is also translated to reverence on several occasions in the King James Translation. Deut. 6:2, 8:6, 10:12 also deal with the moral rather than causative side as well.
2Ki 17:28 says that the fear of the Lord can be taught, or at least has been, leaning towards the moral aspect.
Sidenote: 2Ki 17:36 makes a differentiation between fear of the Lord and worship as well, commanding us to do both.

Genesis 15:1 also uses this particular word when God tells Abraham to fear not, and tells Isaac the same thing in Gen 26:24, which deal with more of the causitive side and not the preestablished or moral side. It seems to accompany military endeavours as well, as God tells man not to fear his enemy. Exo. 14:13, Jos 8:1, 10:8, comparable Jdg 6:10

Note the distinct difference in overtone. When God tells us to fear him, it is not straight fright nor anything that would cause us to run away. It is instead at the very least accompanied by something. Quite honestly, after walking behind a fiery pillar and cloud of smoke, and with God knowing that idolatry is something I'm predisposed to, I can understand fear as being something God might want to use to keep me remembering what the difference is between His good and bad graces. But on the other hand, God intends to draw us to Himself on literally a moment by moment basis. If that is the case, why would he want us to live in a state of fearing him as an English derived concept?

Psa 19:9 "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever:" There's quite a few references in psalms and proverbs to H3372, H3373, and H3374, of which the foremost is the root. As a logical step, I don't see how an emotion that I tend to associate with flight, a lack of clear thinking due to particular worry, and something that causes me to steer clear of something, even if it be bent towards God, institutes wisdom.

The fear of the Lord in 1.Sam 11:7 refers to H6343, which comes out as a (sudden) alarm (properly the object feared, by implication of feeling). This word more readily refers to fright, but also has an inclination of action with it.
1Ch 14:17, 2Ch 17:10, 19:7, lotsa others in Chronicles.

Isaiah wraps both of these words for fear and a few others into the "fear of the Lord," but I think the concept remains relatively intact.

What I'm going to draw from this Hebrew word study is that, in the end, the fear of the Lord as commanded isn't just a feeling. It involves action, reverence, and respect. Fear, or the state of being afraid is involved, but is probably more readily a part of reverence and respect as it applies to action. A coexistant concern.

Hope this helps, and I'm not just rambling... :-P
*Edit: This is kind of wrapping up of the logical steps involved in the discussion, but methinks adding a few verses to it mighta helped.

Dave

2005/3/3 14:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy