SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
BTW: I wrote "None of the above" with regards to the OP. I stand by that to point up the immaturity of the question[s].

Personally, I believe all the questions were valid. The forums here on SermonIndex are not so we can teach everyone else what we know thinking it is superior but it is a place in humility to learn from others and not belittle them in anyway. We all see as in a glass dimly. I feel that just because a brother has more of a vision of the indwelling Christ or the Sanctifying Christ he should not condemn the brother who sees the justifying Christ clearly. This is all part of a larger picture of the salvation in Jesus Christ and we should humble ourselves to learn from each other but in the process not speak down to each other from our own vantage points of what we feel is more important or were we are seeing from.

Yes it is by "belief" in the truth and in the person of Christ and His finished work on the cross that we enter into eternal life. It is not by works of righteousness that we do. But once we believe in Christ we receive His indwelling Spirit and are enabled by this Spirit to do good deeds by His grace and for His glory. This does not merit but validates our salvation. Our hope is not in daily trying to save ourselves but our hope in in what Christ did for us. That is where the weight of Scripture is. There is a need especially for workers in the Gospel such as Paul and timothy as Apostles to walk more circumspectly than others because they would be judged more for what they spoke and did as "leaders" and apostles in the body of Christ.

And we all should be sober minded towards sin in this life for the potential to apostasy is real and should not be shrugged off. But those that fully trust in Christ and not their own righteousness daily who look to the grace of Christ and His love for them in personal relationship, that one does not quake at the thought of forsaking such a redeemer for there is a surety of the hope in the personal relationship and communion with Christ (John 15). Knowing Jesus Christ by personal speaking, communion and life is what is important and not only trying to live by the commandments of Scripture.

Our fear of the Lord should be a child-like fear that brings life. And not lead us into a legalistic trying to obey commands to please God. For to please God we hear His voice and obey Him out of love and devotion and not only demand for such was old covenant.

2012/11/28 8:43Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

Brother Approved I share your sentiment really I have struggled with this here lately especially. What does God expect from us once we have come to Christ? I honestly am at a loss.

Some confusion from the others that have posted can be cleared up with proper definition. The word repentance was thrown in there as an act of Salvation. Repentance is caused by revelation of the Holy Spirit. Essentially Repent means "change of mind" if you are looking at the greek word for repentance.

I pass this nagging feeling of "Do something" with church activity but it still there even when I do that so I don't believe I have found a viable solution to the problem.

I believe God is focused on a relationship with you as an individual there are days He brings people into your life that need to hear you testimony (please note this is not "sharing the gospel" in the traditional "can I ask you a question") its telling people what God has done for you and how He has changed your heart.

BUT what's more important is that people not only hear about how God has changed you but that they see the difference in you. That to me is a more powerful testimony.

I am almost 99.9% sure we are in the same boat.

2012/11/28 9:17Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, you quote how abraham believed God and it was accounted unto him as righteousness. but he left his country and roamed about seeking and being led ...he offered the son of promise and had to be stopped. and this is how we know he believed God. noah also beieved God for the saving of his family...he built the ark in dry and barren area in obedience to God...and that is how we know that noah belived God.this is what is meant by faith without works is dead(or not faith at all)obedience to the directive word is faith.jimp

2012/11/28 9:20Profile
Croref

Re:

by sermonindex on 2012/11/28 5:43:27

Quote:
BTW: I wrote "None of the above" with regards to the OP. I stand by that to point up the immaturity of the question[s].

Disrespect or belittlement from me was not my intent but rather by using the word "immaturity" to illustrate what was, from my perspective, an elementary conclusion per Heb 6:1.

I am sorry you weren't able to view it that why. Perhaps my immaturity lies in my choosing of words.

Thanks for the accusing reply.

2012/11/28 9:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

My concern is after reading many of your posts you are convinced on certain doctrines and ideas that you feel the need to teach everyone else on the forums here. This is not a place to argue the extremes of grace and works, calvinism or armianism, repentance or faith, having security in christ and not having security. For my belief and others on this site is that there is a balance in all these teachings. Thus the need we should have to try and learn from each other in humility and lowliness preferring each other better than ourselves.

I do not state this to say that everyone you write is wrong or even any of it is wrong, but the balance needed to learn from other brothers. Also we encourage saints on the forums here to try and simply encourage each other not by promoting our doctrines but by a charitable word from the Lord that would simply encourage each other on this pilgrim walk.

No matter what the scripture says about denying ourselves, repentance and the fear of the Lord, we must before all of this promote and speak of a personal intimate relationship with Jesus Christ through faith in His atoning blood and death. This is where the true life of the Christian faith lies not in our own repentance but in the death of Christ for all who would believe.

I wrote an article on this subject:

How Precious Is the Blood of Christ To Us? by Greg Gordon
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=29594

excerpt:

But now consider that this blood was poured out for you.

When Christ died, this death was for you. When the Romans plunged the nails into His hands and the spear into His side, this was for you. Christ became sin for you.

Oh, can you even begin to understand what this cost God, dear saints?

For God in love to shed His life-blood for you? It only took one drop of this inestimably precious blood to atone for all your sins that were against God. One drop to appease the anger and wrath of God against you. One drop to free you from all the power of sin in your life.

The passage says that this blood “redeemed” you to God.

“For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” (Colossians 1:13-14)

Such truths should bring a deep enduring thankfulness and joy in our souls. Have you been purchased, redeemed and saved by God? Has this blood saved you? If so this should be the true motivation to follow in obedience to the way of discipleship with Jesus Christ.

2012/11/28 9:29Profile
Croref

Re:

by sermonindex on 2012/11/28 6:29:08

Brother,

My concern is after reading many of your posts you are convinced on certain doctrines and ideas that you feel the need to teach everyone else on the forums here.

You promote the doctrine I believe. How can I be wrong??
Indeed. Paris Reidhead is one of the paramount teachers in my life along with Oswald Chambers and Devern Fromke you promote for our understanding the scriptures; Teachers who go beyond the issues of initial salvation and get into the "Ultimate Intention" of God for having created us in the first place. Do you also take issue with them as well? Apparently not. Therefore I feel you have given me the freedom to further express what they believe. Having said that, what points in my comments or threads do you believe are not in complete agreement with those teachers, What do you believe I get wrong. Where do I need to be taught, . . er, corrected.

Please help me out here: If folk have questions, are not replies intended to teach?

Thank you

2012/11/28 9:59Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

The issue is not your doctrine but the fact that SermonIndex is not a place for many teachers but many students. It is not a place of self promotion. Looking solely at the "Scripture and Doctrine" section I counted 9 threads posted by yourself just on the first page you could see how a moderator can conclude you have come here to teach rather than learn when you do those kind of things.

2012/11/28 10:50Profile
jochbaptist

Re: Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

Dear Approved
I just want to share something.

I too turned to Jesus to save me from a deep pit, and received the promised new start in life. With my baptism I received a regenerated heart and a freedom in life that was indescribable.
However, after a short while I sensed sadness in me that I could not put my finger on. It grew till I was compelled to share it at a meeting with fellow believers. The Holy Spirit revealed through them that I carried guilt and needed to confess my sinfulness. Although I realized that I was a sinner and what my sins had cost me, I was unaware of the grief it caused Him. Trusting their counsel I started confessing and as I confessed my heart began to fill with grief over my sinful past and words of confession started to pour from my lips and tears from my eyes. i got off the floor that day with such joy and thankfulness that I just HAD to share.
That is one of my earliest and dearest personal encounters I had with God.
I identified a lot with what you shared in your post, and while thinking on your words, I was reminded of this particular incident, and refreshed by the memory of it. These scriptures also came to mind ...

Romans 4:8 - Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

Ps 32:1 - Of David. A maskil. Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.

Luke 7:47 - Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

Proverbs 11:30 - The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.

2012/11/28 10:56Profile

Re:

mguldner said;

Quote:
I believe God is focused on a relationship with you as an individual

I think you are correct. For a long time I have gotten away from this all important truth, to love the Lord our God with all our heart soul mind and our strength, this is the first and paramount instruction and the second instruction is akin to it, to love our neighbour as ourselves.

I think when we drift from this that we will end up looking at Christianity as something that is hard work and failure and yet, I have experienced that when we walk in the light as He is in the light that walking with the Lord is not stressful at all, it's only when we lose sight of that all important commandment.

When we walk in fellowship with Him the object goal of saving souls will be constantly there, but it's no longer anxiety that one feels rather a mixture of joy and sadness depending on what He is doing within you at the time.

Enid, what Croref meant by "Being" is the who you are, a statement of fact. The scripture that says, "Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Using Paul's words as an example (for there are many other such examples) he is saying "Recognize the fact that you are dead to sin." It is the fact that you are dead is your "being", the fact is that we are dead to sin. Another fact is that we are "alive" unto God. That is another state of being. The fact is that we are alive. So basically the word "Being" is being used to state a position of who we are in Christ Jesus. It's the essence of who we are.

Here is a better example of this essence, 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The latter part of this verse is stating our "being" in Him as Righteousness, that is who we are. I am not a Canadian, I am not an American, I am not a Jew nor am I a gentile, I am Righteousness (of God in Christ). If we were to go deeper in this, we could say that "As He is, so are we also in this world". But that is another subject altogether and I have digressed from the topic, my bad.

2012/11/28 13:25

Re:

Dear JochBaptist, I hear you on your beginnings as I can relate to all of it, for I had similar experiences. Thank you for sharing that, it has caused me to think about those earlier days. :-)

2012/11/28 13:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy