SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

I would like to complain a little.

When I got "saved" I had no idea that I was being recruited to save others. That was the farthest thing from my mind, I needed help and help arrived in the form of Jesus Christ.

When I look at an animal I sometimes will speak to it and say, "You have no idea how lucky you are. You live out your life and you die and that is the end for you. Nothing is expected of you but for you to naturally do what you were built to do." That certainly is not living, but when the bible demands that we be doers of that word and we have not the knowledge and withal to do it, I sometimes envy that animal.

But for us, we are born again for misery. A people of sorrow and acquainted with griefs and then forced to perform the word of God to only add failure and depression because we simply have no idea how to perform what James is telling us to do, "Be ye not hearers only but doers".

Someone told me that trusting is being a doer, but than we have another crowd that demands that we get out there and preach and believe me brethren I personally do not have the power nor the boldness to stand up and preach.

Let me be even more blunt before all of you and the Lord, I do not want to preach the gospel. I want the salvation that I had at the beginning where it was just me and Jesus and my bible. I don't care about sinners for salvation outside my immediate family, right now it's too much a stress to be bothered with that. It's so much easier to give to a ministry in support of a work than to actually participate in something that is filled with stress and anxiety.

I am serious brethren. I was not briefed before I was brought into this great salvation that I was to be recruited into a stressful work or being a doer of the word. I mean if the Children of Israel couldn't do it, how can we? Why can't I just live as a believer, trusting God for my life, trusting Him to save my family and live out this life and then die and meet Him in glory?

Saving others should be a joy. But the Christianity that is being presented in modern times is stressful. The demand from the Church says to get out there and save others and do do do do do. I want God and I want my salvation, but I have often wondered why I could not have been that thief on the cross. He got saved and then died. What a wonderful testimony.

Signed: A tired old dog.

2012/11/28 0:37
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Is It The Doing or the Trusting That Makes Us Believers?

'...Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.' Romans 4:3

Believing God is our salvation. If we don't believe, we are not believers, are we?

Jesus said to His disciples, "...follow Me and I will make you become fishers of men." Mark 1:17

I don't know if they understood what He meant by that, but He did tell them, up front, what they were to do.

Again, in Jeremiah 20:9, Jeremiah wanted to restrain himself from speaking God's word. However, the compulsion to do so was too great for him. He described it as a fire within.

As it is, if we believe, and understand what the wrath of God involves, and the eternal danger the lost are in, how can we not warn others?

If it is ok to sit in church, and not warn others, would we ourselves be saved now? It's a horrible thought to what might have been.

We might not want to share the gospel, but we are to obey the will of God, and to ask for His help to do so.

Thankfully, many have a heart to see their families won to the Lord. That should have us in prayer daily.

God bless.

2012/11/28 3:58Profile
Croref

Re:

by enid on 2012/11/28 0:58:44

'...Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.' Romans 4:3

Believing God is our salvation. If we don't believe, we are not believers, are we?

None of the above.

It is "being" that makes us believers___the purposed result of salvation__ and there is no salvation without repentance.

2012/11/28 5:55Profile
Croref

by Approved on 2012/11/27 21:37:27

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

I would like to complain a little.

When I got "saved" I had no idea that I was being recruited to save others. That was the farthest thing from my mind, I needed help and help arrived in the form of Jesus Christ.

Nor should you now believe in such a recruitment. Jesus saves! He is the only One who can. To be used of Him is another matter for which we must qualify.
To be a witness for Jesus is to speak from personal experience__intimate knowledge.

2012/11/28 5:59Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Croref,

If believing is not salvation, then what is it?

'For with the heart one believes unto rightousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.' Romans 10:10.

I don't know what you mean when you say 'being'. What does that mean?

Scriptures rather than opinion would be welcome.

Thanks.

2012/11/28 6:45Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

enid wrote;

Believing God is our salvation. If we don't believe, we are not believers, are we?"

If one studies the Scriptures which speak of this testimony, one will find that God and Abraham had a relationship prior to the event where God "accounted to him" or the acknowledgment that Abraham did believe. You see, Scriptures teach that for one to trust God one must first receive the grace necessary for 'belief." Abram walked with God for some time before God declared him righteous. This righteousness is ascribed to Abraham because he responded to the call of God. The work of God leading him became the foundation on which Abraham truly "believed."

The Scripture teach that the grace of God goes before the response of man. The response of man is necessary to realize the goodness and love of God. The Scriptures teach that trust is the result of understanding the ways of God.

2012/11/28 7:04Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I accept that grace is necessary.

I still don't know what 'being' is?

2012/11/28 7:07Profile
Croref

Re:

by enid on 2012/11/28 4:07:22

I accept that grace is necessary.

I still don't know what 'being' is?

G'Mornin' enid!!

I pray you will see something that will satisfy that issue in my new thread.

PAX

Cross

2012/11/28 7:14Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Sadly,

I don't think the original post has been dealt with. It somehow seems to have got 'shelved'.

Brother Approved, I understand your concerns. It would be fine if we could just get on with it, that is, living the Christian life to please God. And if others don't want to live for God, so be it.

But God wants us to reach the lost, the same way in which we were reached before we truly understood the gospel.

God bless.

2012/11/28 7:41Profile
Croref

Re:

by enid on 2012/11/28 4:41:01

Sadly,

I don't think the original post has been dealt with. It somehow seems to have got 'shelved'.

Brother Approved, I understand your concerns. It would be fine if we could just get on with it, that is, living the Christian life to please God. And if others don't want to live for God, so be it.

But God wants us to reach the lost, the same way in which we were reached before we truly understood the gospel.

God bless.

So be it??!

How were you reached?

BTW: I wrote "None of the above" with regards to the OP. I stand by that to point up the immaturity of the question[s].

2012/11/28 7:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy