SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : unequally yoked

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: unequally yoked

To be yoked together implies a relationship where two are working together as one. This might be termed a contractual relationship such as entering into business or legal partnership. It might be termed a covenantial relationship such as marriage. It might mean a close, binding relationship such as intimate friendship where one has great influence in the life of another. I would personally apply it to all of the above.

2012/9/4 17:56Profile
savannah

Re: Godly Companions

"I am a companion to all who fear You — to all who follow Your precepts." Psalm 119:63

In the above verse we have a description of God's people according to the course of their lives and conduct. They are a people marked by two things: fear and submission, the latter being the fruit of the former. Regenerated souls obey God conscientiously out of reverence to His majesty and goodness, and from a due regard of His will as made known in His Word. The same description is given of them in Acts 10:35, "In every nation he who fears God and works righteousness is accepted with Him." It is a filial fear which is awed by God's greatness, and is careful not to offend Him, which is constrained by His love and is anxious to please Him. Such are the only ones fit to be a Christian's "companions."

A "companion" is, properly speaking, one whom I choose to walk and converse with in a way of friendship. Inasmuch as the companions we select is an optional matter, it is largely true that a person may be known by the company he or she keeps; hence the old adage, "Birds of a feather flock together." Scripture asks the searching question, "Can two walk together except they be agreed?" (Amos 3:3). A Christian, before his conversion, was controlled by the Prince of darkness and walked according to the course of this world (Ephesians 2:2,3), and therefore did he seek and enjoy the company of worldlings. But when he was born again the new nature within him prompted new tastes and desires—and so he seeks a new company, delighting only in the saints of God. Alas, that we do not always continue as we began.

The Christian is to have good will toward all with whom he comes in contact, desiring and seeking their best interests (Galatians 6:10). But he is not to be yoked to (2 Corinthians 6:14) nor have any fellowship with (Ephesians 5:11) those who are unbelievers, nor is he to delight in or have delight toward those who despise his Master. "Should you help the ungodly, and love those who hate the Lord?" (2 Chronicles 19:2).

Would you knowingly take a viper into your bosom? "The wicked is an abomination unto the righteous" (Proverbs 29:26).

So said David, "Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD, and abhor those who rise up against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies." (Psalm 139:21, 22). That holy man could not be confederate with such. Evil company is to be sedulously avoided by the Christian, lest he become defiled by them. "He who walks with wise men shall be wise; but a companion of fools shall be destroyed" (Proverbs 13:20). Nor is it only the openly lawless and criminal who are to be shunned—but even, yes especially, those professing to be Christians yet who do not live the life of Christians. It is this latter class particularly against which the real child of God needs to be most on his guard: namely, those who say one thing and do another; those whose talk is pious—but whose walk differs little or nothing from the ungodly. The Word of God is plain and positive on this point: "Having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them!" (2 Timothy 3:5). This is not merely good advice—but a Divine command which we disregard at our peril.

In selecting your "companions" let not a pleasing personality deceive you. The Devil himself often poses as "an angel of light," and sometimes his wolfish agents disguise themselves in "sheep's clothing" (Matthew 7:15). Be most careful in seeing to it that what draws you toward and makes you desire the companionship of Christian friends—is their love and likeness to Christ—and not their love and likeness to you. Shun as you would a deadly plague—those who are not awed by the fear of God, that is, a trembling lest they offend Him. Let not the Devil persuade you that you are too well established in the faith to be injured by intimacy with worldly "Christians"! Rather "follow righteousness, faith, love, peace, with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart" (2 Timothy 2:22).

"Do not be deceived: Bad company corrupts good character" (1 Corinthians 15:33). Evil companionships "corrupt." All evil is contagious, and association with evildoers, whether they are "church members" or 'open infidels', has a defiling and debasing effect upon the true child of God. Mark well how the Holy Spirit has prefaced His warning: "Do not be deceived." Evidently there is a real danger of God's people imagining that they can play with fire without getting burned. Not so! God has not promised to protect us when we fly in the face of his danger signals. Observe too the next verse which is inseparably connected with the one to which we have directed attention.

"Awake to righteousness and sin not: for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame" (1 Corinthians 15:34). The word "awake" signifies to arouse as from a torpor or state of lethargy. It is a call to shake off the delusion that a Christian may company with Christless companions without being contaminated by them. "And sin not" in this respect. To cultivate friendship with religious worldlings Is SIN, for such "have not the knowledge of God". That is, they have no experimental acquaintance with Him, His fear is not on them, His authority has no weight with them. "I speak this to your shame." The child of God ought to be abashed and filled with confusion that he needs such a word as this.

"I am a companion to all who fear You—to all who follow Your precepts." Such are the only "companions" worth having, the only ones who will give you any encouragement to continue pressing forward along the "Narrow Way." It is not those who merely pretend to "believe" God's precepts, or profess to "stand for" them—but those who actually "keep" them. But where are such to be found these days? Ah, where indeed! They are but "few" in number (Matthew 7:14) one here and one there. Yes, so very "few" are they that we are constrained to cry, "Help, O Lord, for the godly are fast disappearing! The faithful have vanished from the earth!" (Psalm 12:1).

It is indeed solemn to read the words that immediately follow the last quoted scripture and find how aptly they apply to and how accurately they describe the multitude of godless professing "Christians" all around us: "they speak vanity everyone with his neighbor, with flattering lips, with a double heart do they speak" (v. 2). Note three things about them:

First, they "speak vanity" or "emptiness." Their words are like bubbles, there is nothing edifying about them. It cannot be otherwise for "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:34). Their poor hearts are empty (Matthew 12:44). So their speech is empty too.

Second, they have "flattering lips," which is the reason why they are so popular with the ungodly. They will seek to puff you up with a sense of your own importance, and pretend to admire the "much light" you have.

Third. they have a "double heart." They are vainly seeking to serve two masters: (cf. 2 Kings 17:32, 33).

"I am a companion to all who fear You—to all who follow Your precepts." There is a very real sense in which this is true even where there is no outward contact with such. Faithfulness to God, obedience to His Word, keeping His precepts, companying only with those who do so, turning away from everybody else—has always involved a lonely path. It was thus with Enoch (Jude 14). It was thus with Abraham (Isaiah 51:2). It was thus with Paul (2 Timothy 1:5).

It is the same today. Every city in the land is filled with "churches," —but where are those who give plain evidence that they are living in this world as "strangers and pilgrims" and as such abstaining "from fleshly lusts which war against the soul"? (1 Peter 2:11) But thank God, though the path of faithfulness to Him is a lonely one, it brings me into spiritual fellowship with those who have gone before. We are to walk by faith and not by sight—and faith perceives that walking with Christ "outside the camp" (Hebrews 13:13) necessarily brings into communion with "all" His redeemed, be they on earth or be they in heaven. Thus the apostle John in his lonely exile on Patmos referred to himself as "your brother and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ" (Revelation 1:9). Yes, Christian reader, for a little while it means companionship "in tribulation," but, praise God it will not mean enduring the throes of the swiftly-approaching portion of Christless professors left behind when Christ comes for His own! ( 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12). For a little while it means companionship in "the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ," soon it will be in the kingdom and glory of Christ. May Divine mercy so enable us to live now that in that Day we shall receive His "Well done! Good and faithful servant!" - AWP

2012/9/4 23:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
To be yoked together implies a relationship where two are working together as one. This might be termed a contractual relationship such as entering into business or legal partnership. It might be termed a covenantial relationship such as marriage. It might mean a close, binding relationship such as intimate friendship where one has great influence in the life of another. I would personally apply it to all of the above.

Same here.

2012/9/4 23:14
SkepticGuy

Re:

just my two cents worth. i have noticed on this website that most here do not hold the catholic church in high regard. personally i see it as just another denomination among many. i also know the mormon church is a little off although i do not really know much about them. what i see are christians of other denominations saying things about the catholic church that would have a person think it is not even a christian church, but when it comes to abortion, gay marriage or electing a politician i see many high profile christians and christian ministers holding hands with catholics and 'working together as one' for a common cause. i have noticed many christians gather around mitt romney or glan beck who are mormons. would not these things also be "unequally yoked" as defined by those who have responded here? just sumthin to think about as i try to understand the thinking here.

2012/9/5 8:30Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

by SkepticGuy on 2012/9/5 2:30:50

just my two cents worth. i have noticed on this website that most here do not hold the catholic church in high regard. personally i see it as just another denomination among many. i also know the mormon church is a little off although i do not really know much about them. what i see are christians of other denominations saying things about the catholic church that would have a person think it is not even a christian church, but when it comes to abortion, gay marriage or electing a politician i see many high profile christians and christian ministers holding hands with catholics and 'working together as one' for a common cause. i have noticed many christians gather around mitt romney or glan beck who are mormons. would not these things also be "unequally yoked" as defined by those who have responded here? just sumthin to think about as i try to understand the thinking here.

i read your post and was all ready to respond. i was all set to type out my thoughts and my points and then in CHRIST JESUS i realized i don't have to. There is nothing compelling me in the spirit to do so and i am just not lookin for a debate today

to all others who posted
so anyhow i think some great things have been shared on this thread. i have found it very helpful and i do feel like i have a better understanding so thanks guys.

think this is it for me posting now. i have learned a lot and i am glad for the time spent here but i am leaving.

take care people
rdg

2012/9/5 8:55Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
i read your post and was all ready to respond. i was all set to type out my thoughts and my points and then in CHRIST JESUS i realized i don't have to. There is nothing compelling me in the spirit to do so and i am just not lookin for a debate today

i just asked a question becuz i am trying to understand. not sure why u think i am trying to start a debate. i am not, i am trying to learn.

when i ask legitimate questions here, seeking to learn, people get angry at me. i recognize i am not fitting in well here for sum reason. this is not a very friendly website for people seeking to learn.

it would be wonderful if jesus were here. i could just sit down and talk to him and ask and learn, and i think he would patiently teach me as long as i was teachable. and i do not think he would be afraid of me asking hard questions.

wwjd, right?

2012/9/5 9:06Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by SkepticGuy on 2012/9/5 3:06:03

Quote:

i just asked a question becuz i am trying to understand. not sure why u think i am trying to start a debate. i am not, i am trying to learn.

when i ask legitimate questions here, seeking to learn, people get angry at me. i recognize i am not fitting in well here for sum reason. this is not a very friendly website for people seeking to learn.

it would be wonderful if jesus were here. i could just sit down and talk to him and ask and learn, and i think he would patiently teach me as long as i was teachable.

wwjd, right?

Greetings SkepticGuy

I know rdg is not coming back to the site as she told me so this morning. I do not want you to think she was ignoring you personally. I can't speak for her but maybe it is the wording in your first post that came across as trying to debate or perhaps some of us are just sensitive to it because it has been the theme of many threads. IF you are truly seeking to learn then I have some things I could share with you concerning the RCC and the Mormon church. Both of these churches are not following the Bible but are following after traditions and men who have added to the WORD of GOD. We need to be in prayer for those lost in these false religions just as we need to be in prayer for all who are lost and deceived no matter what denomination they may attend. As for voting, I do not vote so I can not speak to this issue for you but if you sincerely want to hear from others on this topic there have been other threads and many have shared their hearts on the matter.I think you can search the topic out and find them.
I am sorry you feel that this is not a friendly website. I suppose if I am honest there have been times I have felt that way too. I have come to realize though more often then not the real issue I was having had more to do with self then others here. It was my attitude and heart that needed changing. I am not implying that is the case with you just sharing what I have learned. Of course we are all just people here, people like you who are trying to learn and walk with the LORD as HE leads us, no one person is perfect or has all the answers but there are Biblical truths that we hold on to and those are treasures that many here will stand firm on and defend because they feel the weight and burden by GOD to do. They love the lost and their desire is to see no one deceived or spend eternity in hell.

You closed your last post with wwjd, I have never liked this question because everyone answers it by filtering through their thoughts and speaking for JESUS instead of just pointing others to JESUS HIMSELF. What would JESUS do, ask HIM, HE will answer YOU and HE does in HIS WORD. The NEW TESTAMENT is filled with the answers to what JESUS did/does do :)

Sorry this was long. I did not mean to carry on but wanted to share these things and let you know about rdg leaving the forum.

I pray you find the answers you are seeking to understand.

God bless
maryjane

2012/9/5 9:33Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

maryjane, thank you so much for responding. i did not intend to word my question in a way that would cause debate. i was making an observation: most here disregard the catholics. there is no debate about that.

thank u for sharing ur thoughts about catholics and mormons.

i would like to focus, if i may, on the question i asked though. i read this thread and i understand (i think) what people are saying 'unequally yoked' means to them. my question is, based on the definition given here, why are many of these same christians quick to join 2gether with catholics and mormons when it comes 2 abortion, gay marriage and/or politics? is that no being unequally yoked as well?

for instance, prolife rallies. the big one in washington every year. i see christian leaders/preachers holding hands on stage with catholic priests and mormons. is this unequally yoked?

2012/9/5 9:45Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by SkepticGuy on 2012/9/5 3:45:57

maryjane, thank you so much for responding. i did not intend to word my question in a way that would cause debate. i was making an observation: most here disregard the catholics. there is no debate about that.

thank u for sharing ur thoughts about catholics and mormons.

i would like to focus, if i may, on the question i asked though. i read this thread and i understand (i think) what people are saying 'unequally yoked' means to them. my question is, based on the definition given here, why are many of these same christians quick to join 2gether with catholics and mormons when it comes 2 abortion, gay marriage and/or politics? is that no being unequally yoked as well?

for instance, prolife rallies. the big one in washington every year. i see christian leaders/preachers holding hands on stage with catholic priests and mormons. is this unequally yoked?

You wrote:i was making an observation: most here disregard the catholics. there is no debate about that.

My response: I don't disregard the Catholic church but you are right I will not debate about their beliefs either. I will in love share with someone who is honestly searching for answers but I won't get caught up in debates that do nothing to glorify the LORD. The desire of my heart is to see the lost saved and JESUS to be lifted up and glorified not prove to another person I am right and they are wrong :)

My response: I can not speak to why other Christians are quick to respond and align themselves with Catholics and Mormons because I am not them, I can only speak for myself. As far as being unequally yoked just because I happen to share the same “moral” value as a Catholic or Mormon does not mean I am yoked with them. I will say that both the Mormons and the Catholics have a strong stand against abortion and gay marriage but then so do the Muslims and even some atheists so I don't think we can look at someones “moral beliefs” and assume they live their life for JESUS. Many people are “moral” and actually really nice people but the sad truth, the heartbreaking truth is apart from JESUS they will suffer the punishment of their sins. For those who choose to live in rebellion to GOD and reject HIS SON it does not matter how nice they are or how much they hate abortion. JESUS alone can save, not good works or right morals. Just because I believe abortion is wrong and so does my mother who is a Catholic does not mean we share the same faith or family bond found only in those who make up the body of CHRIST.

My response: I can't answer for these leaders/preachers you speak of because I do not know their hearts but I can respond for myself. I do not pray with my mother because the truth is while I am praying to JESUS, she often is praying to Mary. GOD calls us to follow HIM alone and no other, and for me to join hands and pray with a Catholic, or Mormon, or a Muslim and pretend we are all apart of the body of CHRIST would be a lie. I love my mom and I love those lost and deceived in these other religions and I pray for them but I can not join hands and pray with them we are not apart of the same body. JESUS is exclusive in that HE alone is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIGHT. Until a person is saved they are not my brother/sister in JESUS. I don't type these things carelessly...

I probably did a very poor job answering your question. I hope that if this is really a matter on your heart you will seek GOD on these things, pray about this, read the BIBLE and He will reveal to you HIS truth.

God bless
mj

2012/9/5 11:38Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

thank you. you r the only 1 here who has ever taken time to help explain or answer my questions. others seem 2 think i have an agenda, or start accusing me. bearmaster seems convinced that i am not a christian becuz i ask questions that he cant answer.

i understand what ur saying about having similar values. that makes sense. when it comes 2 moral values i expect there 2 be similarities. never been a fan of glen beck but i have noticed a lot of stuff on the internet about him and christians coming 2gether 2 bring about 'another great awakening' revival in america. the majority of his audience is christian.

i see that and it confuses me sum. a mormon leading christians. should it not be the other way around? i agree with u that we should not judge. just seems like a contradiction.

2012/9/5 11:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy