SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Desert Island Theology

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

In N. Korea believers will risk death to own a copy of the scriptures. Even a portion of God's word is so precious to them. I read reports of elderly saints who cry tears when they get a copy of God's word for the first time. They will hug and kiss that Bible and treat it as more precious than gold.

How important is God's word to us? Will we take the the time to fill our minds and hearts with his truth? Will we value the word of truth above all else? Will we have the attitude of Mary to sit at the feet of Jesus and choose what is better? To listen to his word.

For surely no commentary or reference work can bless us as only the words of Jesus can.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/29 10:29
MaryJane

Re:

I wonder why it can't be both? I have been so blessed and grown in my walk so much at times from reading the Bible and at other times when the LORD has used the words of another brother/sister.

GOD gave us HIS Word, and HE also gave us one another. I look at both of these as a means to help me in my walk with the LORD.

God bless
mj

2012/8/29 10:39Profile
roadsign

Re: The Sacred Place of Solitude

Quote:
I wonder why it can't be both?

An insightful thought, Mary Jane! The Christian life involves both solitude and community. While either can be desired for wrong reasons, God does work through both to purify our faith and strengthen our unity together.

For what it's worth, I'm posting a reading I once wrote, which, I think, fits into this topic:

THE SACRED PLACE OF SOLITUDE

"I cherish the sacred place of solitude …. an abyss opening up in the center of my soul" by Peter Feldmeier

Have you ever found yourself utterly alone – perhaps through rejection or exclusion, or simply through exhaustion from doing good? You are not alone in your loneliness. Today there is widespread sense of loneliness and alienation. Perhaps this is why internet social networking has proliferated: It combats loneliness and the fear of isolation. But it also deprives people of true solitude.

Few know the value of solitude. Jesus valued solitude. He would often go off somewhere to be alone. Yet he was never alone. He said, “The Father is with me.” John 16:32 Jesus taught his followers to practice solitude, saying, “When you pray, go into your room.” Matt. 6:6 In other words: Your spiritual workout is not meant for display. You need to be alone - in private. You need solitude with God.

Through solitude we come to know ourselves as we are known by God. This may not feel loving at first. “It may feel more like deadening boredom or inner darkness – and even pain of loneliness.” 2 We discover how much we depend on external factors. Through solitude we learn to overcome our fear of isolation and our worry over what others think. When we are free from all that, our creativity is free to bud and flourish.

Great eagles fly alone. Likewise, those who have made outstanding contributions, such as in music, art, and science, have learned to fly alone. The biblical prophets themselves learned to value solitude – often through long and lonely wilderness experiences. Consider King David: His spirit thrived during times of loneliness and isolation. When alone in the pastures and the caves, God's Spirit intertwined with his spirit. That’s when David created some of the most beloved songs the world has ever known.

We can never know the richest blessings from God until we learn to walk alone with God. Let God isolate us and call us to the sacred place of solitude – the abyss opening up in the centre of our soul. There our soul gains an independent trust in God, and we no longer need the constant help, prayers, or attention of our peers. There we discover that, although we may be little and unknown, we are prized for God and God alone. And there we are liberated and shaped for our destiny.

by DE

2012/8/29 11:16Profile
learjet

Re:

I just want to apologize directly to Diane about what I wrote yesterday without thinking about the outcome. To be sure I have confessed my sin to the Lord and wanted to apologize to you Diane as well.

Jesus said:

Quote:
What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'" -Matt 15:11

Thank you very much for your patience while the Lord works out every unclean thing out of me.

Additionally, I want to thank bearmaster for the rebuke and I accept it in love.

2012/8/29 14:46Profile
roadsign

Re:

You are forgiven, Learjet. It's my pleasure.

On another note, I do invite challenges or questions to the thoughts I express. Always, my ideas are a "work in progress". Sometimes corrections, clarifications and futher discussion are both helpful and appropriate.

blessings to you,

Diane

2012/8/29 15:35Profile

Re: Learjet

Brother never was my intention to rebuke you. But I give you permission to call me to account in love. I thought BillPro was calling ne kueFoot on another thread only to realize he was talking about the devil. Needless to say I spoke before I thought and had to apologize to him.

It happens but we forgive and press on. Bu the way how do you come by the handle Learjet?

Bearmaster.

2012/8/29 15:52
brothagary

Re:

hi brethern

i think the most important question is what does the bible say ,,about the idea of desert iland type theoligy

does the bible teach us to practice this type thing ,,please show verses to suport opinions

and as presious and holy as our scripture are ,,can we do away with or downgrade or degrade ,the comands to teach and exort and the office of such

i was brought up on a deserted island and still remain on one ,,so im not bein biase by asking this sort of question

it was the only way i knew till i lerned to use the internet

after more then ten years in the wilderness with times of blessings ,deception ,stavation ,and feasting ,,,my belief is the body of christ should remain atached to its members in general all the time except for times of fasting and secrect pray

i cant find any scripture to suport a whole hearted practice of learing from just the bible and his spirit , with out the exortations eafications teachings and prophecys

but over the years iv spent more time in the bible some times 4and 6 hours a day 5 days a week ,just hearing the word voice recorded by my self for food ,,

and i dont want to downplay the blessings of this sort of medatation ,,but the corintian master peice that paul wrote on gifts and church practice ,has become a burden to experance now for me ,,and i know can not be devorsed from island bible medatation

blesings

2012/8/29 20:36Profile

Re:

Hi BrothaGary,

You said: "i think the most important question is what does the bible say ,,about the idea of desert iland type theoligy

does the bible teach us to practice this type thing ,,please show verses to suport opinions "

Here's the scripture support:

Act 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

The Berean's were noble not because they checked Paul's doctrine by going to their teachers to see if it was right, but because they check Paul's teachings against the word of God; and for this the scripture commends them.

If you'll remember in my original post I said, "Not that it needs to be your only method of theology, but it certainly should be your primary one."

I'm in no way trying to minimize the importance of godly men in the body of Christ who have the Spirit given gift of teaching. Every believer to a degree benefits by the teaching and admonition that they receive from other believers. What my exhortation was, was for believers to simply check and test everything against the word of God.

Some people might say, "My denomination forbids prophecy and speaking in tongues". Well, what does the bible say? Did they get that rule from the scriptures? The obvious answer is no.

Some might say, "My denomination says that tithing 10% of my income is the only part of the law that is still for today; it's the only part of the law that Christ did not do away with. Well, does the say that? Did they get that from the scriptures? The obvious answer is no.

I could go on and on.

Like I said in one of my other replies, I'm not advocating believers be divorced from the body. When we are saved, we are saved into Christ, and into His body. Christ has ordained that we be part of a body of believes wherever we live. Not only that, it should be the desire of every believer (loving the brethren 1st John). I can't imagine a believer not wanting to be part of a local fellowship.

What I am saying though, is that one can have this Desert Island Theology, or more scripturally, this Berean mindset, no matter where they are. And while we definitely learn from teachers and are blessed by them, we should always test what we are being taught with the word of God.

Hope that helps clear up what I was talking about.

2012/8/29 22:08
proudpapa

Re: brothagary

Hi brothagary,

RE: brothagary wrote ///i think the most important question is what does the bible say ,,about the idea of desert iland type theoligy
does the bible teach us to practice this type thing ,,please show verses to suport opinions///

Read John ch 5 v 39-47

v 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me
(the Jews prided themselves in their belief of the scripture.)
v 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life
(Yet when they read them they did not truly believe them rather they put there trust in the dead orthodox understandings of the day)
41 I receive not honour from men.
(Jesus was the truth and believed the truth he was not worried about offending the Orthodoxy of His day)
42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
(He saw right into the true motives of the religious of His day)
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
(I wounder how many would reject Him today, I wounder how many do indeed because of there preconcieved scriptural perspectives)
44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
(verse 44 is in relation to how we read scripture the entire context thus far and to the end of the chapter is how we inturpet scripture,Are we affraid to think outside of the Orthodox Box when it comes to scripture?)
45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.(Jesus told them that they trusted in Moses in the Pentateuch, watch what He says in the next verses)
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.(He than goes on and tells them that they really did not believe the scriptures, Oh their trust was in religion it was in Orthodoxy that used and twisted scripture but not in scripture they had theolgy but not //desert iland type theoligy//
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words? (If we do not believe The written Word how can we then truly believe the true Word)

Edit:PS thought and section Headings can and do muffle the Scripture,have you reliezed that the entire story of the rich man and Lazarus was given as a defense to the inspiration of scripture, If you have a Bible with section and thought headings this is hard to see.

2012/8/29 22:28Profile
brothagary

Re:

i agree scott we should test evething by the word of god ,,but in doing so we all are adding our interpratation of how we see the word of god ,and are testing every thing by how we interprate scripture ,and as we all know the are varried inerprations on most verses,which is why there are so many denominations and factions ,, we have believers grouped together under various interprations all claiming to have the right meaning of the scripture

this inits self is havfe the proplem we all have and this practice in its self doesnt solve the problem ,

but due to te multudes of imature ,or not yet mature belivers ,,we have debate,factions ,and arugument ,all from us who claim to be more fair minded for the reason that we surch the scriptures

most of the verry active members here like my self ,would undoubtable claim to surch the scriptures prayfully
,,but we still come to different conlusions

i think we need to test our interprations of scripture by comparing how other matured saints have concluded there studies ,so we dont run into false teachings ,especialy when we are babys in christ ,and not yet matured ,as well as medatate on scripture prayfully and quitly

these two things cant be seperated by favouring one or neglecting the other

a balance is needed

it worth noting that the scripture you quoted about the fair minded bearens ,where still surching the scriptures in a jewish mindset according to the past influence and lerning ,,nothing is said ,about them casting all there old theoligy out the door ,, it woukd only be an asumtion based on presumtions to say that

scott wehn you mentioned tithing and prophecy

many who beieve in tithing will sincerly claim that scripture does in fact teach that ,and will show scripture references till the cows come home

and some say prophecy is out and will show from scripture why this is so in there eyes

as you said you could go on and on ,but to claim you have all the right interprations regaring all the contraveral teachings ,is not wise my friend

just for the record i believe in prophecy and pesonly dont believe in tithing ,,so im not in disagrement with how yo interprate in this instance ,,but some great saints of god who used mightly by him whoes sandles im not worthy to untie ,would disagree with us

blessings

2012/8/30 0:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy