SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : The End of the American Dream. Going hungry in America.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

The End of the American Dream. Going hungry in America.

"Cheryl Preston knows that others are worse off. But she's still hungry.

As grocery prices creep higher and her income sags, rationing her family's food is a daily task. The 54-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three in Roanoke, Va., says there are days she skips meals so her husband and son can eat.
If they notice, she says, she'll let them think she's fasting. She waters down the milk and juice to make it last longer. She visits food pantries, but it's not enough.

"Who would think that in the land of plenty, hard-working families would go hungry? But I am living proof it is true."
................more..............

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/going-hungry-america-distressing-humbling-scary-011618014.html

I received a vision from God about this in 2003. "The end of the American Dream", is what God spoke.

http://brideinthewilderness.blogspot.com/2012/03/end-of-american-dream.html#comment-form

2012/8/23 7:05

Re: The End of the American Dream. Going hungry in America.

Brother Tom,

My girls and I spent two years with barely enough food to get by. We lived mostly on Kraft Macaroni, Rosarita refried beans and tortillas (no meat) - fruits and vegetables were to expensive.

Because I worked seven days a week, we were not eligible for food stamps. Unfortunately, there are options for more food, but it requires someone who is not working and can visit the different agencies, food banks, etc..which takes time. We received a mystery food box from someone who suspected our plight - as I never mentioned it.

I'll never forget the day, when the tide turned. I bought grapes, apples, and carrots, and my youngest opened the refrigerator. Her eyes opened wide, as if it was Christmas, when she saw the fresh fruit.

The sad part, which is the point of my response, is that my sister and her husband own a 5-star restaurant, and I would gladly have driven up to the back door to take any food scraps that were left over, especially the meat, and not useable for the next day, but they wouldn't allow it. I imagine that that kind of behavior was in your vision. It will stay with me forever, and when I am at work, if I ever hear someone say they forgot their lunch or don't have money for fast food, I always offer them mine.

Blessings.

2012/8/23 11:56

Re:

That's a good testimony 100fold. The Lord took care of you even in the lean times and the appreciation level much surely have been and will still be great because you learned what it was to struggle and to do without. These are invaluable lessons, especially in these entitltement minded times in which we live. To continually have a heart of thankfulness for all that we have is to please God I believe. Grumbling and complaining, about taxes or what other people have or dont have grieves the heart of God in my opinion. Each of us should walk, not as the children in the desert, but as children of the living God who knows our needs and provides for them. A people who will rejoice for water and manna or for milk and honey, the rejoicing is based on " our exceeding great reward," the Lord Himself and not on the level of our circumstances.............bro Frank

2012/8/23 12:23

Re:

Last night I heard on the news that Americans are the most wasteful when it comes to food. It is amazing to see half full plates of food left over in restaurants. Whenever a friend and I eat out we always ask for to go boxes. Leftovers nuke up nicely. But tragic when people are going hungry and others are being so wasteful. That may soon change.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/23 12:47

Re:

Quote:
The sad part, which is the point of my response, is that my sister and her husband own a 5-star restaurant, and I would gladly have driven up to the back door to take any food scraps that were left over, especially the meat, and not useable for the next day, but they wouldn't allow it.

Edit: My initial response to the sister and her husband's attitude was rather harsh, not knowing all the circumstances, so I've changed my post.

On the surface though, it's still quite a disgusting attitude that one could have towards their own brother, especially if he has no food.

2012/8/23 12:55

Re:

We used to have a neighbor who ate a lot of takeout. When she would eat what she wanted she would offer us the left overs which we gladly excepted. One day we asked why she did not keep the leftovers herself and nuke then up for another meal the next day. Her response was a haughty her family never ate leftovers.

I know for a fact given the neighbor's age she grew ho in the depression. My parents were depression era people. Honestly nothing was wasted . Even leftovers. I could only conclude my neighbor was lying about her situation. Or her family did not live on leftovers. In which case people were even wasteful during the depression. If so they were a small minority. Most people who grew up during the depression were very thrifty and made do with little. And it went a ling way. God grant that we would learn from them.

From the bear den.

2012/8/23 13:03

"AM I MY BROTHER'S KEEPER?".....Cain

100fold: Your post rang true to me, and I sensed what I like to sense: Reality with real Faith in Christ Jesus. To me, He walks in the dusty streets, where need, lust and disease walks, and among the Greedy too. Some are so hard hearted that they could never even see a need other than their own, and worse, could care less.

I know former friends like that, that once confessed Christ as Lord, and today, would not spit on you if you were on fire, to put it out. This is very sad, and I do not need to say their end, if they refuse to repent. It will not be with our glorious Lord, and His family; I promise.

The Bible says that "Worries and riches" Choke the SEED, That precious Holy Spirit that desires that we be CONFORMED TO HIS IMAGE....rather than to be blessed in this life with the World's fill. God protected you in your plight, and fed you; provided for you, even with beans and cheap pasta....but you ate.

The greatest thing you did is what you did not do....You refused to become bitter; and when we do, it is always at God, as He sees it. You endured the sparse days, and were thankful for what you were given. On the other end, what fruit did the 5* restaurant bare? The daintiest gourmet cuisine on Earth, probably, and consuming greed as a bedfellow.

The vision, "THE END OF THE AMERICAN DREAM." begins with the holiest company ever to appear on American soil; a remnant people of both men and women...an Apostolic company if you will. Then I saw the homeless, and the minority homeless anger.

I was impressed by God that this would result in the rise and fall of many, in that it is very, very important HOW we respond to our brother's plight.

Common Union, or Communion, as given in by the Apostle: How we relate; the mercy we show, or do not show.....the laying down of our life in order to love the least.....homeless and hungry apply here now........HOW DO YOU DISCERN THE BODY?

"Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.

But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup, For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.

WEAKNESS, SICKNESS, AND DEATH COMES TO THOSE WHO REFUSE MERCY AND COMPASSION TO THE POOR CHURCH.

For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep; But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

IF WE HAVE SINNED, GOD WILL FORGIVE US IF WE REPENT, AND ENDURE HIS CHASTISEMENT.

But when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord so that we will not be condemned along with the world."

IF WE WILL NOT REPENT, AND REMAIN IN OUR SELFISH PRIDE, WE RISK DEATH, AND EVEN HELL.

We are watching the End of America as we know it, and there will be millions of homeless people, and even many Christian homeless, and I ask this question to the forum, and myself:

AM I MY BROTHER'S KEEPER?

Better be. PS: I enlisted on your blog site 100fold.

I re-submit my vision.
http://brideinthewilderness.blogspot.com/2012/03/end-of-american-dream.html#comment-form

2012/8/23 14:14
SkepticGuy

Re: "AM I MY BROTHER'S KEEPER?".....Cain

these r hard time we live in. people in america are finally learning how the other half lives across the globe. america is so great a country that even our poor are richer than the middle class in other countries. we have homeless and hungry, but when u are homeless and hungry in waikiki beach how bad is that? not bad compared to calcutta. americans are wasteful with food and at the same time we are the most obese people in the world. maybe a little hunger would do a lot of good for peoples health and maybe it might solve the health care issues in america. less obesity means less diabetes less heart disease less strokes.

2012/8/23 16:19Profile
MaryJane

Re:

These are invaluable lessons, especially in these entitltement minded times in which we live. To continually have a heart of thankfulness for all that we have is to please God I believe. Grumbling and complaining, about taxes or what other people have or dont have grieves the heart of God in my opinion. Each of us should walk, not as the children in the desert, but as children of the living God who knows our needs and provides for them. A people who will rejoice for water and manna or for milk and honey, the rejoicing is based on " our exceeding great reward," the Lord Himself and not on the level of our circumstances.............bro Frank

Wow Frank thank you for sharing this. As I read this I was at once convicted by the Holy Spirit for my attitude and heart. I have complained and grumbled and in all truth even though at times things are tight there is not one day that has gone by that every single need has not been met. GOD in his mercy and care has always provided above and beyond!

Truly good seeds you have shared here brother and such and encouraging and timely reminder

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/23 16:43Profile
dottiejean

Pacific NW

Re: The End of the American Dream. Going hungry in America.

1 in 5 Americans cannot afford to buy food: poll

This is not over! It can only get worse.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2012/08/22/257546/1-in-5-americans-face-food-hardships-poll/

2012/8/23 23:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy