SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Fast of Words

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
"Ask God if He is leading you to do a forty-day fast of critical, judgmental, negative, complaining, gossiping words."

I think this was the only part that caused me a pause.

Can't we just make a 'conscious' effort to just Stop these 5 things?

Exactly. Why should we need to see if God is "leading" us to abstain for a period of something that He flat out said we shouldn't be doing at all, period?

2012/8/16 14:35
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
You don't fast from sin, you repent.

Agreed. Yet I don't believe that the author intended to lay aside sin for a while only to pick it back up again later. I don't know any true Christian who thinks that way about sin.

The original piece that I posted reminds me of what the Apostle James wrote, "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body." (James 3:2)

I believe that the "perfect man" James wrote about describes one who is full-grown, a spiritually mature man. Therefore it would seem that sinning in word is a primary indicator of our Christian growth, or lack thereof. Sins of the tongue are one of the main manifestations of the "flesh" and cause much destruction even in the lives of believers.

Jesse Penn Lewis wrote the following;

"The present is a sifting time for all the children of God in every degree in the spiritual life. "Spiritual" men now will prove their "ripeness of maturity" by their "stumbling not in word" during the present distress.

Panic and hasty, unloving words cannot be coexistent with the "full assurance of faith" and the deep knowledge of God of the truly "spiritual" man. The spirit of the man who is "ripe in understanding" is shown in the words of Paul immediately following his utterance, "Let us who are 'perfect' be thus minded." "Many walk," he says, "of whom I told-you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ . . ." (Philippians 3:18). "Even weeping!" Ah! this is the spirit of the spiritual man! No man who weeps in speaking of the enemies of the cross will "stumble in word" and grieve the Holy Spirit of God by the fruit of his lips.

The truth must be spoken—but in love, and with "anguish of heart and many tears" (2 Corinthians 2:4), for those who have gone astray. And let us not forget that the "truth" means not what we consider "truth" about another, but bearing witness to the truth of God as "it is written," and as we have proved and known it in our lives."

In Christ,

Ron

2012/8/16 19:34Profile

Re:

What about the proverb that says even a fool who is silent is considered wise. When he closes his lips he is counted prudent.

Bearmaster

2012/8/16 19:44

Re:

I believe it was St Francis who said preach the gospel. Use words only when necessary.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/16 19:46
learn

Re:

Actually why not just focus on Psalm 19:14

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer

2012/8/16 19:58Profile

Re:

The Article is about "critical, judgmental, negative, complaining, gossiping words" Not fasting from words as the title implies.

I'd rather be sensitive to the Holy Spirit like Jesus and Paul were, then to take the words of humans on what and when I should say what The Holy Spirit is leading me to say.
There's more tears shed obeying His leading in that way, then if I hold it back for the fear of men or worry over their opinion of me.
Look at Moses - the meekest man was asked to do the hardest job.
When anyone starts with the "words are ALWAYS pleasant" or that GOD will never give you a word to give to someone that isn't a sweet word - I have to say that The Bible is a better Source of all truth and His Spirit is the one that will fill our mouths if we Know His Voice.

I agree with the top line - but sometimes The LORD will lead us to deliver what 'some' people would consider a "negative" word.

Be sensitive to The Holy Spirit and lose the fear of men.

JPL is putting certain Good men that are prophets, teachers, etc. in a straight jacket with some of her idea that was quoted.

Trust The LORD!

2012/8/16 19:58

Re:

And yet I wonder if something may be said for a fasting from unnecessary words Even a discipline of silence for a time. Perhaps we could even here the still small voice of God.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/16 20:15

Re:

Bearmaster, part of that last post of mine was to get you to see that what you said on another thread was not that far off and that it wasn't you that needed to be quiet.
And I still don't know if you're going understand these words because that's all they are to most. Just text on a monitor.

As I was looking quickly over a book that I like very much, I realized again, that unless I'm face to face, eyes looking into eyes and literally being heard, as to hear the tone of voice and all that goes into truly communicating, expressions of emotions and all - the way that GOD meant communicating to be in the natural - that it's impossible on the net to know what's really being said and how or why, with the majority.

I miss having a local fellowship to 'fellowship' with - with people that actually know me and not from easily misunderstood "texts".

GOD's Peace

2012/8/17 0:24
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

Amen to your post, Jesus-Is-God!

I miss this too (pouting). Yet, people can be just as phony in person, though there is greater opportunity for the operation of discernment.

Jesus-Is-God wrote:

"that it's impossible on the net to know what's really being said and how or why, with the majority."

I agree - yet, there is something revelatory about the written word (if you know what I mean). With man, there is a consistency which pervades throughout one's writing which leaves a trace of natural, personalized identity.

Like your writng, Jesus-Is-God. Even when you've written the most cerebral, doctrinal analysis of a sermon or scripture, your posts ALWAYS leave a trace of sincerity, trustworthiness, and genuine love for your brother. Christ somehow leaves his aroma even in the written word. Since Word can become Flesh, then I suppose it can be the other way 'round.

And a while ago, I wrote about the impact of reading Charles Spurgeon's sermons. Though I've never met him in the natural, when He writes about the Master, I might as well be reading my own thoughts; it is like telepathy in absentia. An effect I rarely (really never) get from natural, face-to-face fellowship.

I am praying without ceasing, Jesus-Is-God, as well as unable to breathe without a daily and moment-by-moment intimate relationship with God's Word - and for that reason, I can have confidence that I am writing what's really being said in my heart. His Word is the language from which I derive my words and purpose for communicating. If not for God's Word, I'd have absolutely nothing to say nor would there be anything worth hearing. It hasn't always been this way, of course.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/17 17:46Profile
Jeremy221

Re: The source

Dear saints,

In a search for other of this authors works I found this review on Amazon. There is a lot more going than initially thought. The familiar terms that have become realities for us do not mean the same thing for the original author.

Quote:
 Life-Changing Book
April 9, 2008 By S. Salmon
This book is a must for every Christian. Recognizing the important role of our spirit, and having someone we look up to as a spiritual mentor speak blessings directly to our spirit, is reportedly playing a major role in bringing a paradigm shift in effectively overcoming woundedness, deceptive thinking, spiritual baggage and other hindrances in the lives of many Christians. I speak from experience in regard to the impact this book has had on my own life, as well as the life of two of my children (one of which had been out of church for over 20 years). This book provides much-needed understanding of the human spirit and motivates committed Christians to seek additional insight into this important aspect of our being.

Source: Blessing Your Spirit: With the Blessings of Your Father and the Names of God (Paperback)
Arthur A. Burk & Sylvia Gunter

These are New Age infiltrations bearing familiar titles. As Art Katz says, words have a valence that carries something of their source. Every Christian should know the valence, the aroma, of the Spirit of Christ when His children speak by His direction. Deep calling to deep.

2012/8/18 11:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy