SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the point of prophecy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

What is the point of prophecy?

The Nature of Bible Prophecy
I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me. [i]Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.[/i] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. (Joh 13:18-20 KJV)
Here’s a question which constantly comes to my mind when I see people posting on Second Coming. People of very different persuasions speak with equal certainty of future events. I have an observation and a question.

[u]The observation:[/u] Before the coming of the Lord the interpreters of the Old Testament prophecies were, it appears, universally mistaken in their interpretation. They were so certain of their predictions that when the ‘stone’ came and would not fit into their prefabricated building they rejected it.

[u]The question:[/u] Is the purpose of prophecy to provide predictions and consequently future schedules of events? The Lord’s words above seem to suggest a totally different purpose to prophecy, namely that ‘when it happens people will recognise it’ rather than deciding what is going to happen and then awaiting it.

It is because of this that I have refused to systemise or synchronise the events of the Second Coming. I used to be a very informed pre-trib, pre-mill advocate but have long since abandoned the attempt to make a seemless schedule for the last times.

What do you think? What is the purpose of prophecy and is it always inevitable?

2005/2/16 9:49Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re: What is the point of prophecy?

Quote:
The Lord’s words above seem to suggest a totally different purpose to prophecy, namely that ‘when it happens people will recognise it’ rather than deciding what is going to happen and then awaiting it.

That is what I believe. I am a post tribber (previous pretribber) who is confused millenially :-P ..amill or premill???? That is the question........Preterism, well, I can't wrap my mind around that at this point in time.

In any case, the "specifics" of the days preceeding His return in my opinion can only be speculated on. None of us knows how events will play out exactly. When we seem to have all down I believe there is greater reason to believe deception can occur---if not deception, then great, great discouragement. I think the thing we need to do is be informed WHAT the Word says and let the Holy Spirit reveal truth as events come to pass. Many a Christian has looked foolish to the world as well as to other Christians when they have jumped on a bandwagon and been proven wrong........."I THINK", "IT COULD BE"......etc.....are all good ways to presently evaluate prophecies which have yet to come to pass. Just my opinion. Blessings in Jesus, Cindy

2005/2/16 13:01Profile
StevenL

"...for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

2005/2/16 17:22Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
What do you think? What is the purpose of prophecy and is it always inevitable?

Hi Bro Ron,

I believe that few things truly weigh a person like prophecy. What I mean is, the reading of the prophesies will bring to the surface tendencies and motives that tell much about us. Your point about how many of the Jews stumble over that stumbling stone is case in point. They knew basically the 'when' of the Lord's first coming, but not the 'what' (what is the purpose of His coming in other words?). Their sinful and hardenedhearts caused them to bend in the direction of their preconceived and selfish notions. Some repented of this and followed Christ- others carried through and determined Him to be a false Messiah.

Where are we in these things? We know the 'what' but not the 'when.' It is the exact opposite as the scenerio of the Jews, but just as much a stone of stumbling. And so too, men's selfish motives come into play and pretty soon no Christian (at least in the west) is going to suffer because we will all be 'raptured' out of here.

You are also right in the first assertion. I would only add that I believe there are certain warnings in Revelation that we need to greatly take heed to. Especially the one about receiving a mark in the right hand or forehead. I personally believe the Lord's return is immanent. That does not believe we will not suffer greatly before it's all said and done. I was raised 'pre-trib' and have lived those fears since a child. I have a view now that is quite simple- "Be ye ready..." Ready for what? What ever happens, just be ready. For in such a time as we think not our Lord doth come. Ready to live and ready to die for Him. Ready to give an answer for the hope that lies within us. Ready to follow Him outside the camp bearing His reproach- for here we have no continuing city, but we seek one to come. What ever happens, just be ready.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/16 17:37Profile

Re:

Be Ye Ready!

Those words woke me up twice one day while I was sleeping, 10 years ago.

Such urgency in those words that I heard from the LORD.

I didn't know what He was referring to, later on I thought it might be the Rapture, but was not satisfied that that was it.

I believe that this age is coming to a close and a new age is coming (not the New Age Movement).

Something that is in our future is going to take place, whether we will ever see it or not, but one thing is certain we shall be the stepping stones for those who do.

The whole creation is groaning until now waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God.

I think this is what the holy Spirit is telling me to be ready for, prepare for this.

The church's focus is on an antichrist and not on Christ revealing in them. Everyone is gazing in the clouds but not looking within, where Christ dwells, "Christ IN YOU the hope of glory".

We place ourselves in tribulation camps and yet the bible spells out clearly that that those who live godly in this life will suffer persecuation, in the world we shall have tribulation, in other words, this will be normal for those who walk uprightly. Beware when all men speak well of you, then you won't have tribulation and that means you are not living godly.

I think God has something good for us. I think God will empower us in spectacular way.

Christ must come to maturity in His body, this is the only way that the world may know that we are His desciples that we have love one for the other.

There also must come a time when the repenting stops and that growth actually takes place according to Heb6.

I know, I know, what do I mean the repenting stops?

Have you ever repented over the same thing over and over again, I have. Until one day the LORD said to me, "Yes, I will forgive you, my blood will always cover that, but now, let us deal with this thing so that you don't always have to come back with this same sin." There is a place that the repenting stops because the sin has been dealt with. Mind you there will be other things to repent over, but when a man comes to full maturity and becomes like his Master would there be any room to repent? Since all sins have been purged.

Karl

2005/3/19 17:37
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Before the coming of the Lord the interpreters of the Old Testament prophecies were, it appears, universally mistaken in their interpretation. They were so certain of their predictions that when the ‘stone’ came and would not fit into their prefabricated building they rejected it.

Thank you Ron.
Have had exactly the same musings for awhile and that keeps me outside or in the 'pan'-camp. Haven't been convinced one way or the other nor have I been able to follow along with those who seem to think they have this all figured out. There is too much being left out or overlooked to tie a nice bow around it all.

In fact it seems that certain sides contradict themselves often without even realizing it, a lot of proof texting to buttress positions.

With Robert here on all this, "[i] Watch and pray...lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.[/i]"
To the question and;
Quote:
‘when it happens people will recognize it’

Would agree and yet can't help but wonder how much of a repeat the last time will be to the first, going back to that original observation.

2005/3/20 8:53Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

If one is walking in the Lord, when these things happen there will be no doubt about it. There are some things which are plain and simple to understand, eg the great earthquake that will shake the world, the locsuts with the stings of scorpion etc and there is a definate order in the way these things will happen. The point is we must keep our focus on God because it is Him who directs these things and focus on Him is the key. The minute we try to interpret these spirirtual things and the bible in any other light, be it on an intellectual level or otherwise, we have LOST it all. In short the point of prophecy is to compell us to focus on God and seek Him in spirit and in truth.

2005/3/20 9:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:What is the point of prophecy?

Hi IRONMAN,

Certainly, but was alluding to the same thing Ron first mentioned:

Quote:
Before the coming of the Lord the interpreters of the Old Testament prophecies were, it appears, universally mistaken in their interpretation. They were so certain of their predictions that when the ‘stone’ came and would not fit into their prefabricated building they rejected it.

Similiarly, for the more adamant camp defenders or building tennants we might say, this still seems a distinct possibility. Would also agree with you on where are focus ought to be, not to dismiss this out of hand but think the biggest part of this whole question is to the 'point', which may prove to be telling and may be broader as this develops. Seems to be a hint of that right out of the verse Ron originally quoted: [i]but that the scripture may be fulfilled[/i]

2005/3/20 10:44Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Indeed bro, I forgot to mention that prophecy also allows us a to see a different part of the character of God or to see Him in a different light. That really was the main thing behind my post, it would have helped if I had mentioned it. :-?

2005/3/20 11:48Profile
dohzman

Re: What a loaded question

Personally speaking I have always liked what the late Keith Green said: "I hope that I'm raptured out before the tribulation but I'm going to prepare myself to go through the tribulation". I don't believe we are any wiser or more prepared for Jesus now than the Jews in the first century. Jesus said when he returns will he find faith on earth?And he gave pictures of the 10 virgins with only half being ready , but all were sleeping.And many more things did Jesus say that lets me know that the people of God won't be ready or at least half when he comes to take his purchased to heaven for the marriage feast. I normally just sit back and stay out of end time -time table type teachings , I think they tickle iching ears. Bro. Daryl

2005/3/21 0:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy