SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "TEA PARTY" - WHAT a REACTION! by Andrew Strom

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 "TEA PARTY" - WHAT a REACTION! by Andrew Strom

"TEA PARTY" - WHAT a REACTION!
-by Andrew Strom.

I knew there might be an "ugly" reaction to my post last week about
the Tea Party, but even so I was pretty distressed by the personal
attacks and nasty remarks. I was saddened too by the many people
who wanted to turn the whole thing into a 'POLITICAL' debate, when
the entire point of my article was the 'SPIRITUAL' aspect - about
how aggressive "Political Activism" can ruin our Christian witness.

People accused me of being "Anti-American", though I have said
many times how much I love that nation, having lived there for four
years and ministered to Americans for 16 years. It is my love for
that country - as well as my love for Jesus - that compels me to
speak out. I sense a terrible ugliness growing in the "Christian
Politics" scene - and it seems to be getting worse. I truly fear for
the future of Christianity in the USA if this ugliness continues.

Others accused me of getting my views from the "liberal media".
Actually, I am on the Tea Party mailing List and I get almost all
my info direct from conservative Christians and Tea Party people.
That is what makes it so sad, so ugly and so unchristian.

Just today I got the latest email from "TeaParty.org". The headline
reads- "LIMBAUGH: 'OBAMA HATES THIS COUNTRY'. And further
down we read - "Tea Party To Expose 'America's Fraud President'
To 1 Million Households! - Donate now!"

Can anybody tell me why Christians should be involved in anything
so ugly and un-Christlike? -And this is just "mild" nastiness
compared to the really ugly "Anti-Obama" emails that other
Christians send me. I must ask - what kind of 'Christianity' is this?
It is one thing to "disagree" with a President. It is quite another
to participate in a giant campaign of slander, muck-raking, gossip
and ugliness against him. Is this "Christian" behaviour in any way?

That is what I mean about the damage this is doing to the Christian
witness in the USA. The evangelical Christians are getting a
reputation for being harsh, nasty, aggressive and mean-spirited.
Where is Christ in all of this? Why are we getting caught up in
'POLITICAL' battles when the true problems in America are
"SPIRITUAL"? Why are we fighting with the "arm of the flesh"?

The Bible is very clear - "We wrestle NOT against flesh and blood,"
but against principalities and powers in high places. (Eph 6:12).
And as we saw last week, Jesus was also clear: "My kingdom is
not of this world. If my kingdom was of this world, THEN would
my servants fight" (Jn 18:36). So the reason Christ's servants are
not to "FIGHT" using the 'arm of the flesh' is that we belong to a
different kingdom. We are not supposed to be battling and agitating
and plotting to gain control of this earthly one!

So why the big "campaign"? At the end of the day, it doesn't even
achieve anything for the true spiritual state of the country. Only a
Christian Revival can do that. Only a true "SPIRITUAL" Awakening
of gospel power and prayer. Nothing 'Political' can make the slightest
difference to the inner state of people's hearts. A "mass invasion"
of God's Holy Spirit is the only thing that can do it.

So STOP the ugly 'Political' activism! Stop getting distracted by
"fleshly" battles! And start focusing on what really matters - the
desperate need for a true 'Spiritual' Awakening! (-Which cannot
be advanced in any way through Politics. It is a whole different
kingdom).

And please, turn Limbaugh and Fox News OFF! They are simply
making capital off winding up the Conservatives and making them
madder and madder. -Not Christian at all. Switch these people OFF!

In closing, I want to apologize to anyone who was offended by my
last article. I love America as a nation very deeply, but I love God
and true Christianity even more. And it is this that compels me
to write the way I do - even though I know I will get "bashed" for it.
My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

2012/7/17 11:51Profile

Re: "TEA PARTY" - WHAT a REACTION! by Andrew Strom

In these days, when you get such a strong reaction, than you must have stepped on someone's golden calf.

The Tea Party is all about what they perceive is 'their money'.

It's not to defend the lives of unborn babies, the persecuted Church world-wide, euthenasia of the elderly and disabled - but just their pocket books.

These people are going to be the excuse that the powers that be use to exterminate Christians in this country.

Quote:
And please, turn Limbaugh and Fox News OFF! They are simply making capital off winding up the Conservatives and making them madder and madder. -Not Christian at all. Switch these people OFF!

ALL television is controlled by the same people these people are suppose to be protesting. All media is controlled for social mind control engineering and for 'response' that they have had plans to 'respond to' in response. The rich men of the earth "cause the problem - for a reaction - so they can pull out their 'solution' for."

If these people don't believe that there are infiltrators and provocateurs mixing in with them in their 'party' and media to bring about this "problem-reaction-solution" endgame - they're a bunch of uneducated, 'blinded' by greed and this world bunch of people, that love the things in this world more than Christ Jesus, Himself.

Never apologize when you're right, for the offense taken by those that are wrong. Jesus nor Paul, etc never did.

Take care.

2012/7/17 12:18
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
Can anybody tell me why Christians should be involved in anything so ugly and un-Christlike? -And this is just "mild" nastiness compared to the really ugly "Anti-Obama" emails that other Christians send me. I must ask - what kind of 'Christianity' is this?

It is one thing to "disagree" with a President. It is quite another to participate in a giant campaign of slander, muck-raking, gossip and ugliness against him. Is this "Christian" behaviour in any way?

I am not a proponent of politics as a tool for the Gospel, but with this statement (above) alone, Andrew sets himself up as judge towards any Christian that might be involved with the Tea Party. What is unfortunate about this is Andrew is judging that any Christian involved in the Tea Party is engaging in slander, muck-raking, gossip and ugliness.

We have to be careful about vilifying our brethren because of their associations with organizations. I mean, is the Tea Party now equivalent with the KKK? If so, I stand corrected. I certainly don't think Christians should be members of the KKK.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I know you are surprised that I am saying this since I am pretty anti-political, but it is one thing to talk about the pros and cons of politics with regard to spiritual things and it is quite another to vilify ALL people associated with certain organizations.

Why doesn't he just get specific and name the names he is really concerned about? What is the next group of Christians he is going to vilify because they are part of "__________" organization?

Maybe he will start with the household of God and let us all know what religious organizations he approves of and which ones he doesn't. I certainly wouldn't want to be part of something that Andy doesn't approve of.

Seems like a colossal waste of time to me to be impugning people like this. Maybe things are a bit slow on his website since he shut down his forum because he couldn't handle strong medicine from others. One way to get some strong reactions is to impugn a very large organization and everyone associated with it. Mission succeeded!

Pilgrim

2012/7/17 12:55Profile

Re:

What you quoted, Pilgrim, was his direct response to this email he received ...

"Just today I got the latest email from "TeaParty.org". The headline
reads- "LIMBAUGH: 'OBAMA HATES THIS COUNTRY'. And further
down we read - "Tea Party To Expose 'America's Fraud President'
To 1 Million Households! - Donate now!""

You'll see in his article that your quote comes right after this email as his response to 'it'.

He did well to shut down his forum. You can reply to his articles on his site still.

I for one am "surprised that you are saying this."

Have these people ever demonstrated with such vigor and length of time over the starving people in other countries or the inhumanity to man in other countries?

Have they ever joined together in such a force to help the homeless in our own country?
I could go on with these type questions.

These people need to read their Bibles - if they can find them.

Job 2:10 But he said to her, You speak as one of the foolish ones speak. Also, shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

According to His Word, He gives the people / the nations the kings/government that their morality deserves.

I understand that your eschatology is not the same as most others in the Body, but you may want to consider what role "protesting" plays in what we see as the last days ... maybe?

All the best.

2012/7/17 13:17

Re: Where Will the Persecution Come Ftom?

A few have been saying persecun is coming to America. I think U see who will be doing the persecuting. It will nit be the secular humanist Ir the Moslens. But it will be the civil religion if tight wi.g politics and evangelicals. This makes for a dangerous combination.

I am more uneasy when a rabid conservative comes to power. When the American flag is wrapped up in the Bible I think of those who were martyred in such systems. Those from the time of Jesus through to the Anabaptist until now. So I start wonering where the nearest FEMA detention center is. And start getting prepared to be a guest there.

Seeing how the Tea Party is spitting venomous hate toward Andrew Storm. And these are supposedly Christians. I summize that those who betray the remnant will be other supposed Christians. After all it SAS the religious conservatives who put Jesus to death. It was the religious conservatives who put the Anabaptist to death. It will be the religious conservatives who will hunt the remnant down and martyr them in this country.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/17 14:01

Re: Where Will the Persecution Come Ftom?

A few have been saying persecution is coming to America. I think one sees who will be doing the persecuting. It will not be the secular humanist or the Moslems. But it will be the civil religion of right wing politics and evangelicals. This makes for a dangerous combination.

I am more uneasy when a rabid conservative comes to power. When the American flag is wrapped up in the Bible I think of those who were martyred in such systems. Those from the time of Jesus through to the Anabaptist until now. So I start wondering where the nearest FEMA detention center is. And start getting prepared to be a guest there.

Seeing how the Tea Party is spitting venomous hate toward Andrew Strom. And these are supposedly Christians. I summize that those who betray the remnant will be other supposed Christians. After all it was the religious conservatives who put Jesus to death. It was the religious conservatives who put the Anabaptist to death. It will be the religious conservatives who will hunt the remnant down and martyr them in this country.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/17 14:01

Re:

Andrew writes..........

"And please, turn Limbaugh and Fox News OFF! They are simply making capital off winding up the Conservatives and making them madder and madder. -Not Christian at all. Switch these people OFF!

Good for you Andrew, I have been saying that on my own site for years now. Limbaugh and Hannity and Coulter and all those guys are modern day " seers," and they have been enriched by the muck and the hate that they constantly churn up. The sad thing is that so many of their audience or listeners are Christians.

Pilgrim writes............

"I know you are surprised that I am saying this since I am pretty anti-political, but it is one thing to talk about the pros and cons of politics with regard to spiritual things and it is quite another to vilify ALL people associated with certain organizations"

I am surprised Pilgrim. Anyhow, I am sure you will remember at the debates earlier for the nomination, that when the questioner posed the hypothetical of a young man who had no insurance but who was gravely hurt and what should be done with the and the crowd started chanting " let him die." Does any Christian want to be involed in any association that has this kind of thing going on? Of course that is just one example, I could give example after example of things that Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity and Coulter have said that would make even regular folks who are not Christians cringe. If you run with certain crowds or groups Pilgrim you will be associated with them, that is why Christians should not be running with groups. All of our association should be with Jesus and Him alone. If we are going to hated and persecuted for anything, let us be hated and persecuted for the cause of Christ alone, and not as a right-winger or a left winger..........bro Frank

2012/7/17 14:26
learjet

Re:

I would have to agree with Andrew and the nastiness, it is getting worse every day. Additionally, I would agree with his take on the Tea Party, it's spot on however I would not stop there.

If you stand back from a neutral position you will see that the left does the same thing that the groups on the right do. MediaMatters and MoveOn.org are doing the same exact thing, they stir up hatred and use it to raise money. Both the liberal and the conservative are guilty.

To be honest I'm having a hard time understanding why Andrew would be 'shocked' by this, it's clear in the Word that 'the love of many will wax cold', persecution and lawlessness will increase. The Words written in the Bible are TRUE, they are not just stories.

If you choose to write a letter that is critical of a bunch of snakes, expect to get bit, it just goes with the territory. This is only the beginning, soon people will kill us thinking they are doing the Lord a favor (they will honestly believe this in their hearts).

Personally, I'm thankful for brothers and sisters like these, they have the courage to speak the truth in love.

Much love!

2012/7/17 14:45Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
I am surprised Pilgrim. Anyhow, I am sure you will remember at the debates earlier for the nomination, that when the questioner posed the hypothetical of a young man who had no insurance but who was gravely hurt and what should be done with the and the crowd started chanting " let him die." Does any Christian want to be involed in any association that has this kind of thing going on?

Hi Frank, I did not watch any debates, much to the chagrin of a Mormon that I work with who is working overtime to convert me to Romney. I told him I am not anti-Romney or anti-Obama, I am pro-Jesus. He just walks away shaking his head. I'm sorry, I can't tell you a thing about the debates.

Of course that is just one example, I could give example after example of things that Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity and Coulter have said that would make even regular folks who are not Christians cringe.

I am not defending any personality or organization but something does not sit well with my "gut" about all of this vilification going on.

Quote:
If you run with certain crowds or groups Pilgrim you will be associated with them, that is why Christians should not be running with groups. All of our association should be with Jesus and Him alone. If we are going to hated and persecuted for anything, let us be hated and persecuted for the cause of Christ alone, and not as a right-winger or a left winger..........bro Frank

Quote:
that is why Christians should not be running with groups.

This is a big statement, Apollus. Wasn't Bonhoeffer a member of a "Group"? Was he associated with the wrong group? Would you say he was known by his associations? Do you know loving Christians that are members of the Republican party, anti-abortion groups, etc, etc. Do you see what I am saying?

I agree that we should be hated and persecuted for the cause of Christ alone, but we should also not try to alienate people on purpose.

Pilgrim

2012/7/17 15:00Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

While I respect Andrew on several levels it seems to me that this is a little ridiculous.

Andrew published an article that paints an entire group with broad sweeping strokes of condemnation. He has some good points but paints so broadly as to condemn everyone... some who clearly do not fit his definition. He throws the baby out with the bath water, so to speak.

He then is "surprised" that some push back against his inaccurate over generalizations of them? Well of course they pushed back! They felt unjustly attacked.

It is the second time it appears he is creating publicity and traffic flow to his website using another group as the buzz word for his articles.

Previously he published a couple of booklets entitled, "WHY I LEFT THE PROPHETIC MOVEMENT". Well... that's fine of course. He can associate with anyone who chooses to or not. However, I could not help but notice that there is no definition as to what it means to "Leave the movement". They had no credentials with any specific group, no central governing structure, no actual leadership, no "prophetic movement affiliate churches"...nothing... absolutely nothing! There was really nothing to leave.. and no way to leave what doesn't actually exist.

As far as I can distinguish it merely means he quit going to a few peoples meetings. That is all that happened. He just quit attending meetings where a half dozen different guys were speaking... that's all there was to it. So more accurately, "I quit attending meetings where so and so was preaching" is all there was to it. However, he did publish a book with lots of peoples names in it. That willingness to place the NAMES OF OTHERS (who were better known) in it sold a great many books for Andrew. It also created masses of traffic flow to his website and gained him much exposure. It appears that the fact that others were well known, and thereby capitalization could be made on their name recognition, was primarily what sold the books. It is unlikely that a book by Andrew, that was simply a critique of the issues ,would have gotten much publicity. However, when he calls a few well known folks by name.. calls them a few heretical things,....their well known their name recognition is then ridden to the book sales door. I , along with many others by email, were asked to help promote his book(s) I believe there is a part 1 and 2.

If I see a new book from him soon that prominently lists "The Tea Party" in the title I will certainly feel it is more of the same. Using the name recognition of another group to get free piggy backed publicity for his book sales.

I may be wrong, I certainly hope so. As I said, I like much of what Andrew has done.... but these last two efforts using the names of others to promote ones self are difficult to stomach in my opinion.

He "Left The Prophetic Movement"... that means absolutely nothing. There is nothing to leave! It's not like saying, "I resigned my credentials from the Southern Baptist Convention over these issues". That we could understand. This, "leaving the prophetic movement" just means he quit attending services that a few guys were speaking at... that's it. Nothing more or less. But it did create lots of publicity for him.

I am concerned this is exactly the same. We will see further writings/publications with Andrew using "The Tea Party" as the impetus to create publicity, sell books,increase website traffic, and book meetings. Emails citing how critical it is to get this anti Tea Party book into everyones hands...same song different verse. Again, I hope that it does not happen as I like and respect much of Andrew's other work.

I am not a Tea Party member so I don't feel this need to push back although I can see how some of them would. This is especially true if they do not align with his broad strokes of condemnation and feel unjustly assaulted by Andrew.

I agree with most others that have posted. Politics and Religion are very poor roommates. It rarely goes well.

2012/7/17 15:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy