SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does this mean?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

What does this mean?

Can anyone tell me what this verse means?

3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

EDIT: i guess i am wondering how the sickness of such a person then would differ from that of an Unbeliever and what does it mean he will make all his bed in his sickness? I don't know about you but when i am sick i never make my bed and no one else makes it either. If possible i don't even get OUT of bed when i am sick. And if i could get God to do my laundry for me that would be great too.

EDIT: MY APOLOGIES!! I FORGOT WHEN I ORGINALLY POSTED THIS TO INCLUDE THE CHAPTER AND VERSE! IT IS PSALMS 41: 3.

2012/6/26 8:08Profile

Re: What does this mean?

To languish means to "lie down without hope" which when fully given over too produces a condition which is like a sickness. It amounts to being unable to rise up due to having an attitude of hopelessness. In the end the person is given over to the malady in every part of the lives and becomes "their bed". To be strengthened in it may make for hope towards God or it could even mean that God Himself makes the condition permanent due to a lack of faith towards God. Just my thoughts!

2012/6/26 8:34
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Hmm. Thanks amrkelly, for those thoughts. Yes, i see what you mean about "lying down without hope" in reference to languishing. I don't agree that it creates "a condtion which is LIKE sickness" though; i think it clearly states the person is already sick and refers to actual physical sickness. What i am most interesting in knowing is what does it mean when it says "will make all his bed" in his sickness.
When i am sick i don't need my bed made, i need help with lots of other things though. Just seems a peculiar statement. I have never known anyone who needs their bed made when they are sick. They may need to be turned over regularly to prevent bedsores or their bandages changed or bed pan changed but they would only need the sheets changed if they wet/soil the bed. And clearly God never changes beds LITERALLY. So this verse is peculiar.

2012/6/28 3:59Profile

Re:

Sickness in the OT is always referred to as backsliding. "I will heal their backsliding"

The bed clothes of a sick person are all messed up due to tossing and turning and throwing off the bedclothes, and I think it is meaning that God will straighten everything out, that is for the believer who repents of their backsliding and leaving their first love and make the way smooth and comfortable ie at rest.

2012/6/28 11:17
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Sorry Krautfrau, i do not agree that this refers to backsliding.The verse seems to suggest God's care and help,
whereas backsliding would invite discipline.Moreover, a "bed of languishing" is mentioned, which also implies physical illness.Also, if it meant backsliding, then why not just SAY backsliding, as many other verses in the OT do?

2012/6/29 3:53Profile

Re:

Trekker

The writers of scripture often use pictures and symbols. The bed of languishing speaks to me of the state we can fall into of dryness and apathy. God does give His care and help once we see we are in need of returning to the flock. Of course, if we choose to continue to live in the pig pen God will leave us there.

The whole of the OT is fuilled with exhortations to `return unto ME`. Physical sickness does not cause us to leave the Lord and often does the opposite.

2012/6/29 4:06
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Yes but there is nothing about the verse that suggests anyone leaving God. It will take more to convince me that this is about backsliding i guess. The Psalm seems to refer to suffering and survival.

Here are the surrounding verses (Psalm 41):

1 Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

2 The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive ; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.

3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

4 I said , LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.

5 Mine enemies speak evil of me, When shall he die , and his name perish ?
6 And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: his heart gathereth iniquity to itself; when he goeth abroad, he telleth it.

7 All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt.

8 An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him: and now that he lieth he shall rise up no more.

9 Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted , which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

10 But thou, O LORD, be merciful unto me, and raise me up , that I may requite them.

11 By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.

12 And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever.

13 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.

2012/6/29 9:52Profile

"i guess i am wondering how the sickness of such a person then would differ from that of an Unbeliever and what does it mean he will make all his bed in his sickness?"

It speaks of restoration, not tucking in your quilt.

Two ways it differs from the unbeliever.

1.] Discipline and Humbling: Only the Believer is disciplined and chastised:

"My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

" If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? "

2] Warfare and Attack: The Dragon attacks the church. This wrath is displayed in many venues including affliction and sickness..[ the book of Job..]

"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
"Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
" Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies."
It is a matter of faith, and overcoming.

" And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death."

2012/6/29 11:17

Psalms 41:1 Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

Psalms 41:2 The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.

Psalms 41:3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

I agree this is not speaking of backsliding. There is a roll of blessings flowing from verse one.

When he is afflicted and mourning God will be his strength, when he is sick God will be his comfort.

2012/6/29 11:54
amranger

Montana

Trekker,

I've read this verse also and wondered what it meant. When I have trouble understanding a verse, esp when it's the King James version I'll look up the word in the Strongs. I have a program on my computer and my phone for that. I mostly read the KJV but sometimes I have trouble understanding the phrases
they use.

The hebrew word for "thou wilt make" is "haphak." It means:
to overturn, overthrow, to turn, turn about, turn over, turn around, to change, transform.

So to me that means that God is going to heal and bless. God is going to (in His time and way) change the situation.

2012/6/29 12:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy