SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The root cause of all your sinning is your own unbelief.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

You can see it here.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42392&forum=34&6

Just remove my remarks.

2012/7/3 13:09
roadsign

Re:

Thank you Tuc, Can you tell me where you yourself found this? A book?

Diane

2012/7/3 18:25Profile

Re:

It is in the book J Hudson Taylor God's Man in China by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor pages 212-215

2012/7/4 6:30
roadsign

Re:

Thank you. It is also found here:
http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Fellowship/Letter.from.Hudson.Taylor.html

Related content: http://www.abideinchrist.com/messages/exchltay.html

Tuc, I think you did well to draw this discussion to Hudson Taylor. He was raised Methodist and knew of the need for holiness, faith and a high standard of living. But he struggled terribly with a sense of constantly falling short. Striving harder only made him more miserable - because he realized was not able to attain his goal.

Hudson Taylor did not need to be told that his problem was unbelief. Rather - for him the words, "Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief" were, I think, more fitting.

Hudson Taylor helps bring me to a new level of understanding belief/faith.

I find myself pondering over our measures of helping others see how their sin problem is rooted in unbelief. While it may be true in essence, there are big hurdles to overcome even in our own understanding:

What really is faith? What really is sin? I think our truncated understanding of both those words is a big hindrance in the process to victory whether that be in ourselves or in others.

For example: Are we to imply that a sinner has made a conscious decision to NOT believe. Are we to assume that he has become fully aware of the implication of faith - or even the Christ on whom faith rests?

A BIG topic indeed!! We no doubt have many scales in own eyes - for which we need God's healing touch.

2012/7/4 8:18Profile

Re:

Look what he said after seeing the light.

"I am no better than before. In a sense, I do not wish to be, nor am I striving to be. But I am dead and buried with Christ––ay, and risen too! And now Christ lives in me, and the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more striving to be better!!!

Look at this post - dead in Christ
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=45516&forum=36&4

* edit spelling and added link

2012/7/4 9:12
roadsign

Re:

Tuc,
I think we are on to a critical theme: that of faith. Sadly, we do not live in a world of Hudson Taylors – those who have an acute conscious awareness of their weak faith. We cannot address people as if they can understand themselves. And using the language (all the “right” words) won’t get us there.

We live in an anxious society, but most people can’t even apply that word, “anxiety” to their thoughts and actions - and certainly not their subconscious. Instead there is a tendency to suppress the discomforts of anxiety – behind a plethora of masks and avoidance strategies.

Yesterday I browsed through some responses to an alleged scam – which is NOT actually a scam. It is a promotion – overly pushy, but it is not a scam. I studied the various posts to see how the people came to view it as a scam. Most of it was emotional based rather than careful rational thinking, or based on accurate facts. You see unjust, unreasonable attacks on others. That’s anxiety at work – or should I say mass hysteria. People see RED! The thinking center of the brain is suppressed by the fear hormones. (that’s a little science thrown in for you)

When you are anxious you can’t think well. You become highly emotional in your responses – and often unfairly judgmental. It is a fear response. The adrenalin is working.

When people are in bondage to each other’s fear they will never be able to resolve differences because they can’t calmly think through things and see the other person’s perspective. There can never be restitution. When people are in bondage to their anxiety they will never be able to trust God, to rest - OR to trust each other.

This is undoubtedly true for some of the strained discussions we see here. Just watch for the emotionally-charged nature of some of our posts, and the absence of careful thinking, reflecting, and questioning.

As Christians – we too suffer from the malady of anxiety – and it indeed causes all kinds of sin. Look how we hurt each other. Look how we make choices, not out of love, but out of self-protection. We become law-based (to suppress sinful anxiety responses) rather than grace based (which requires trust).

“Whatever is not of faith is sin.” We might say: Whatever is driven by anxiety (the absence of trust) cannot produce the fruits of love (as in the great commandment).

You cannot obey God when you cannot trust God.

Tuc, that's what you are saying, isn't it?

Diane

2012/7/5 6:52Profile

Re:

The bottom line is that all the required true Faith, Obedience, Love, Trust, Repentance and Submission are only found in the PERSON OF CHRIST HIMSELF.

HE really is all we need.

He gives the ability to REST in HIM!!! We are not able in our own selves.

Please start a new tread if you want too. This one lacks in many ways.

2012/7/5 12:47

Re:

Yesterday, as I was offline and preparing to go to a family members home for dinner, I felt The LORD just stop all of my thoughts for a split second and direct them to the book of Acts. Feeling it strongly impressed that that book is the template for how The Church is to operate.
Many may not feel that way because there's too much "going on" in the day to day lives of The Church 'back then' - but it's recorded as the history of the beginnings of the first Church. Luke did not title it - "The Acts of the Apostles" and that title hinders our view that their were 120 in that upper room and thousands added to The Church immediately after - so we have Luke putting into writing, all that he had heard from Paul and others about what happened that made The Church, The Church.

I believe we should go through that book, maybe a chapter a day and just write down what each chapter centers on.

One highlight we often hear of is that "no small dissension and disputation" between Paul and Barnabas over John Mark.
We'd need to go back and find out what exactly were they arguing about to understand who was in the right there.
Paul had just been used to blind a man and John Mark feared and left Paul and Barnabus in a hurry because of that act and Paul saw that John Mark wasn't ready yet for the ministry that they'd be used in.

We miss these points when we don't read through slowly and take notes as we go along. In other words, we'd do well to study slowly and carefully to get as much as we can from that bottomless Well of Truth that is The Word of GOD.
Being Bereans and enjoying the Holy Spirit's guidance - John 16:13,14. Seeing where the focus goes each day as we read. He speaks to us through His Word every time.
Amazing GOD!

2012/7/5 14:10

Re: NEW thread

Please use the new thread at

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=45620&post_id=327685&order=0&viewmode=thread&pid=0&forum=36#327685

2012/7/6 10:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy