SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Age of Accountability

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re: mak28

RE: by mak28 on 2012/6/21 wrote
/So, what am I saying? Does this lack of revelation declare all children or your friend with Down Syndrome and others of the like damned? Not at all! In fact 1 Corinthians 7:14 would suggest better and more clearly what you eluded to, that your friend and the children of believers are covered to by the same grace which covers their believing parents. What does it say for children of unbelieving parents, there is no reference. Yet, we could say that stating that the children of believers are covered would suggest perhaps that children of unbelieving parents are uncovered./

1 Corinthians 7:14 ?? What odd understandings Orthodoxy interpets from scriptures!

Who was Josiah's Father ??
Who was Josiah's Grandfather??

2012/6/21 22:57Profile
mak28

Re:

Never did I say that one from a non-Christian household could not be a Christian/God-fearing man. Apparently I have been drastically unclear! I apologize.

It seems you have misinterpreted what I meant by covered. It was meant as in the children being covered by their believing Father or Mother's grace and only if we believe that's what 1 Corinthians 7:14 says. I have staked no claim there but referenced it only to say that it seems to say such. You have interpreted what I said as a claim that only believing parents can have children who are believers. I made no such claim! Clearly Josiah was not covered by his Father's grace nor his grandfather's grace because they had none. They were evil men. Did God not choose and separate Josiah anyway? Of course he did! What has that to do with whether he was covered by grace through believing parents, nothing because they were not.

I apologize if I have lacked clarity.

2012/6/22 8:31Profile

Re: Age of Accountability

The "Age of Accountability" usually begins when a child understand what is right and what is wrong.

There is no set age. Society has dictated this and somehow it got woven into the fabric of our faith. Twelve or Thirteen is usually the cut off point of this 'age' within this concept. But there is no definite answer to this question, every child is different in their development in understanding right from wrong.

If they can reach into the cookie jar having no fear of who's watching they have not reached that age. But if they scheme and plot, and sneak into the kitchen, open up the jar, carefully looking around that no one is watching and they snatch their booty than the gig is up, they KNOW they are doing wrong.

For Adam and Eve, their accountability came when they decided to reach out and partake of the tree. From that time, they knew they were in the wrong and they desperately needed a right to get out of their wrong. Enter chastisement.

2012/6/22 9:38
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: "If they can reach into the cookie jar having no fear of who's watching they have not reached that age. But if they scheme and plot, and sneak into the kitchen, open up the jar, carefully looking around that no one is watching and they snatch their booty than the gig is up, they KNOW they are doing wrong."

My 3 year old grandson does this. But there ain't no way he's reached the age of accountability.

People who have been Christians for years can't agree 100% on what it means to be "saved."

How can a 3 year old understand?

2012/6/22 10:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
My 3 year old grandson does this. But there ain't no way he's reached the age of accountability.

Of course not, he's so cute and cuddily, how can such a child be accountable for his actions? But there he is a product of Adam.

Quote:
How can a 3 year old understand?

They don't need to understand brother, they just need to know. The slap on the hand for taking the cookie, automatically causes their tender eyes to be enlightened. They understand that by taking the cookie, their going to get a slap if caught. So they learn quickly by asking for a cookie instead.

Much like us doing our own thing as believers and all we see is frustration and a brick wall. After years of trying we finally start asking God for things instead of scheming and plotting.

2012/6/22 12:55
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
They understand that by taking the cookie, their going to get a slap if caught. So they learn quickly by asking for a cookie instead.

This is called behavior modification. You can train monkeys that way too, through positive reinforcement works far better for both human and beast.

If that is the method and means by which we understand "accountability" , why would Jesus have needed to die ...... oh, and rise again?

Diane

2012/6/22 13:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote:

"Of course not, he's so cute and cuddily, how can such a child be accountable for his actions?"

Obviously a very young child has some idea of what is right and what is wrong. That is entirely different from being at an "age of accountability."

I hope you are not suggesting that a 3 year old is damned to hell if they die- regardless of how clever or dense they may be.

If you are, I am sure thankful that God is their judge and not you.

2012/6/22 15:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
I hope you are not suggesting that a 3 year old is damned to hell if they die- regardless of how clever or dense they may be.

Jumping the gun are we just a wee bit, eh?

Your putting words in my mouth. This "Age of Accountability" is not even found in the bible, so why are we defending it? I am offering an opinion, thats it. I am not speaking against your grandson, God forbid. So please don't make this personal, I have enough of my own problems than to deal with the status of the salvation of others.

2012/6/22 15:46

Re:

Quote:
If that is the method and means by which we understand "accountability" , why would Jesus have needed to die ...... oh, and rise again?

Because,

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh...

You can train the best of them to be accountable but in the end, they will fall short of the glory of God.

So enter Christ.

2012/6/22 15:48
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If they can reach into the cookie jar having no fear of who's watching they have not reached that age. But if they scheme and plot, and sneak into the kitchen, open up the jar, carefully looking around that no one is watching and they snatch their booty than the gig is up, they KNOW they are doing wrong.

Approved: There is a difference, I think, in knowing that it is wrong for me to stick my hand in the cookie jar and knowing that by stealing I am breaking God's law. If I get my hand slapped for taking a cookie without permission, I will be looking around then next time I really want a cookie. But that does not mean that I am aware that I am breaking God's law.

2012/6/22 15:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy