‘HUMAN BARCODE’ COULD MAKE SOCIETY MORE ORGANIZED,
BUT INVADES PRIVACY, CIVIL LIBERTIES
As tech companies work to develop ID chips, how long
until we're no longer anonymous?
BY MEGHAN NEAL
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, 2012 June 1

http://tinyurl.com/barcodemark

NEW YORK (NY Daily News) - Would you barcode your baby?

Microchip implants have become standard practice for our pets, but have been a tougher sell when it comes to the idea of putting them in people.

Science fiction author Elizabeth Moon last week rekindled the debate on whether it's a good idea to "barcode" infants at birth in an interview on a BBC radio program.

“I would insist on every individual having a unique ID permanently attached — a barcode if you will — an implanted chip to provide an easy, fast inexpensive way to identify individuals,” she said on The Forum, a weekly show that features "a global thinking" discussing a "radical, inspiring or controversial idea" for 60 seconds .

Moon believes the tools most commonly used for surveillance and identification — like video cameras and DNA testing — are slow, costly and often ineffective.

In her opinion, human barcoding would save a lot of time and money.

The proposal isn’t too far-fetched - it is already technically possible to "barcode" a human - but does it violate our rights to privacy?

Opponents argue that giving up anonymity would cultivate an “Orwellian” society where all citizens can be tracked.

“To have a record of everywhere you go and everything you do would be a frightening thing,” Stanley, senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union, told the Daily News.

He warned of a “check-point society” where everyone carries an internal passport and has to show their papers at every turn, he said.

“Once we let the government and businesses go down the road of nosing around in our lives...we’re going to quickly lose all our privacy,” said Stanley.

There are already, and increasingly, ways to electronically track people. Since 2006, new U.S. passports include radio frequency identification tags (RFID) that store all the information in the passport, plus a digital picture of the owner.

In 2002, an implantable ID chip called VeriChip was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The chip could be implanted in a person's arm, and when scanned, could pull up a 16 digit ID number containing information about the user.

It was discontinued in 2010 amid concerns about privacy and safety.

Still scientists and engineers have not given up on the idea.

A handful of enterprising companies have stepped into the void left by VeriChip, and are developing ways to integrate technology and man.

Biotech company MicroCHIPS has developed an implantable chip to deliver medicine to people on schedule and without injection. And technology company BIOPTid has patented a noninvasive method of identification called the “human barcode.”

Advocates say electronic verification could help parents or caregivers keep track of children and the elderly. Chips could be used to easily access medical information, and would make going through security points more convenient, reports say.

But there are also concerns about security breaches by hackers. If computers and social networks are already vulnerable to hacking and identify theft, imagine if someone could get access to your personal ID chip?

Stanley cautioned against throwing the baby out with the bathwater each time someone invents a new gadget.

“We can have security, we can have convenience, and we can have privacy,” he said. “We can have our cake and eat it too.”

Click the link below to read the full article or view images:
http://tinyurl.com/barcodemark

2012/6/2 0:11Profile

Re: The Human Barcode

Quote:
Stanley cautioned against throwing the baby out with the bathwater each time someone invents a new gadget.

“We can have security, we can have convenience, and we can have privacy,” he said. “We can have our cake and eat it too.”

and your point is?

2012/6/2 12:36

Re:

And this is not conspiracy????

Bearnaster.

2012/6/2 12:44

Re:

My friends, Neil and Bear - please, you may think I'm tough but the News of late is bringing me to a sickness in my stomach and a deeper grieving in spirit than I've ever felt before.

"As it was in the days of Noah" - when some believe there were actual fallen angels mixing with the daughters of men. Whether we believe that or not - we do know that GOD had to destroy all the inhabitants of the earth because it had become thoroughly demonic. Those are the days that Jesus said that we would experience again, but He gives indication that it will be worse and world-wide with no where to run.
There has to be one place that we can come to for sanctuary - besides stay alone with The LORD with no fellowship at all.
Some topics, where people shake the faith of others, is one thing - but in this case, I have to defend Chris. I don't care who doesn't agree with me, not after all that I've experienced here this past year, but Chris was here and posting on "the Coming Global Economy" back in 2008 ... finding good articles about entities such as the IMF and World Bank - and "the chip".
He knows where we're headed - it's just that all here don't agree on the 'who is behind it' in the same way. But he does know GOD and Christ and that Satan is ultimately behind it... which he is.

I wanted to thank Chris for this article. There's much out there on this topic and some have come on here denying the chip and saying that it's nothing to be concerned with and one even saying that they'd take it and one mocking this topic - so for Chris to post this, after all that negative discussion on this topic - I give him credit for his "stay-with-it-ness" and mainly for staying doctrinally sound with a deep burden for souls. Those traits are decreasing in this apostate church and uncaring, feelingless world.

I love you both and I believe that you both know that and this thread is only alerting those that are asleep or more interested in other things, that a digital economy is on it's way.

Stay Strong in Christ and His Love.

2012/6/2 13:05
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

It is very convenient, and if we where not followers of Jesus Christ then I doubt we would see issue with it. Aside from the possible identity fraud capabilities and also the idea of no privacy. I can totally see how this seems to be leading the the dreaded mark of the beast spoken of in Revelation.

What I wanna ask, looking for insight with wisdom, is how will this represent the man of sin? How will the chip reveal itself with a mark or a number of the beast? Social Security Cards, Bar Codes, now RFID chips in identification cards are all steps towards what we are looking for in the mark of the beast.

2012/6/2 13:31Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi brother bearmaster,

Quote:

by bearmaster on 2012/6/2 8:44:47

And this is not conspiracy????

I have previously attempted to explain this to you.

This is not a "conspiracy" because I am not alleging one. I simply found a recent article in a major American newspaper, felt that it could be relevant to our understanding of the times (or how this world reacts to these times) and then posted it in the Current Events section.

There is a world of difference between posting a newspaper article and any attempt to connect the dots between reports, present allegations or repeat unsubstantiated rumors as if they were true.

Now, I am not alleging that a barcode will be the "mark of the beast." That mark could consist of something different altogether. However, I do see a correlation between an acceptance of the "benefits" of such technology and even how it could "unite" society and the mark on the right hand or forehead that is mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

This is not a "conspiracy," but an understanding of what the Bible says and how it is possible that modern technology and sociological attitudes are making such a concept feasible today.

Does that make sense?

2012/6/2 13:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Human Barcode

And I am finding it really unsettling about the intrusiveness of the gov. Now they want to use drones to spy on the American people.

Or, maybe some folks are so bored with their desk jobs that they will find ordinary life for the American citizen fascinating??!!! Like watching a reality show of the common people??!!

Duh...

Vexing..

Annoying...reckon anyone could see ya if you made faces at it? Now, that should be entertaining...

Oh, dear, what does this have to do with revival? Ok, I will quit for now...

2012/6/2 14:07Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thank you, Jesus-is-God.

Lately, I have noticed a "peer pressure" in this world. Sociological norms were often used for the benefit of society...and have been historically based upon Judeo-Christian views of morality and immorality. However, I have noticed that modern society is creating a "new morality" that is based upon the whims of certain "pushy" segments of society.

Have you noticed how those who don't embrace homosexuality or the goals of homosexual activism are painted as "homophobic," "bigoted" or even "extreme?" The same is done with other issues of morality and immorality. Anti-abortion advocates are painted out to be "fanatics" who are "at war with women" rather than defenders of unborn human beings. If that doesn't work, they are painted as uncaring of the physical and financial needs of children who weren't aborted.

Why is this "new morality" -- which is really immorality -- taking precedence in this world? Sadly, I think that this could be by the loss of "voice" by the church. Those who know the truth are too quiet with it and many of those "Christians" who present their views loudly, abrasively and without an apparent motivation of love...and are easily lumped together with "fringe" views. When I see groups like Westboro Baptist Church acting like they represent the true Church of God, my heart breaks. That "church" is nothing more than a cesspool of hatred and extremism. And, sadly, they are casting a terribly disfigured reflection upon the true Body of Christ.

I have a friend who is a professor at a renowned Ivy League university. We have engaged in several debates about a plethora of topics. He is an atheist and quite "evangelical" with his views. He has a strong distrust for what he calls "fundamentalist Christians." He once mentioned that he feels that "evangelicals and fundamentalists should be tagged with chips and monitored by the government" because they are a "danger to society."

This man argues that "atheism" is the default stance of the government (which, of course, I easily refute). Once, I mentioned about how "dangerous" those "fundamental" Amish and Mennonites can be...just to show him the lack of logic in his anger.

Throughout our debates, he has been quite adamant with his positions, but has told me that I "almost" persuade him to "see things" as I do because of my ability to reason with him. He even considered flying down to attend my wedding a few years ago. However, I often think about how his attitude about Christianity might be a precursor to the way society eventually comes to accept a "mark" that identifies themselves as belonging to a completely secular form of unity. He views all Christians like those weirdos in the tiny but loudly error Westboro Baptist "Church."

Christians oppose many practices that place them at odds with society. Some feel so strongly about it that they, like this distinguished professor, want Christians to be marked and monitored by the government. Eventually, there will be a reverse form of identification...where individuals will line up to identify with the Beast. This sociological "unity" will embrace all forms of immorality and could be spurred by a type of peer-pressure "inclusion."

So, I do see this attitude is in the world today...and how it could possibly be a precursor to what is written in Revelation chapter 13. It may not come in the form of a barcode, microchip. However, this news article (and other articles like it) show that some people are already willing to line up for such a thing because they see so many practical benefits from it.

2012/6/2 14:23Profile

Re: JiG

Anne you should know that I belueve persecution is coming to America. If I say it. It is q conspiracy. If Chris says it it us fact.

Bearnaster.

2012/6/2 14:23
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Bearmaster,

I have asked you previously to stop repeating this. It is untrue. I have not accused you of spreading conspiracy. In a couple of posts about a highly disputed myth, I urged everyone caution about spreading conspiracy theories.

Please refrain from repeating a claim that I am "accusing" you of anything. It is untrue.

2012/6/2 14:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy