Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Praise God for Giving Dreams

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
staff

Praise God for Giving Dreams

Hi All,
I want to outline that God continues to use dreams nowadays as he has throughout history.The problem people have with dreams is partly due to the fact that all people whether they are christian or not have dreams whereas only the christian have visions.Also Christians have dreams that are not from God but just a regular dream.This generates some scepticism and the baby may get thrown out with the bathwater.I would also point out a safegaurd with dreams;which is that a dream cannot create christian doctrine.
I have made a quick list of people in the Bible that had a dream or interpreted a dream.Because of A dream from God Joseph took Mary to be his wife,The Magi avoided Herod because of a dream and Pharaoh planned 14yrs of Egypt's Food supply just name some consequences of Dreams.

Laban,Jacob,Pharaoh,Joseph,Solomon,Daniel,Joseph,The Magi.

Dreams are a legitimate,biblical way God ministers to the body.It is also wrong to criticize or mock people who have dreams from God.
I think it is time to take a dream from God seriously and God may warn,bless,protect or edify you and the body of Christ through this wonderful way God communicates with us,
Praise God for Dreams,
Yours Staff

2012/4/3 18:03Profile
pilgrim777

Re: Praise God for Giving Dreams

I'm glad you added Laban, there.

God does speak to unbelievers in dreams.

Also, Pontius Pilate's wife.

Mat 27:19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.

Are you saying only Christians have visions? Sadhu Sundar Singh had a vision of Jesus Christ and many Muslims who have become followers of Christ have testified of visions from the Lord. Is this not the kind of vision you are talking about?

Looks like it could be a good discussion,

thanks, staff,
Pilgrim

2012/4/3 18:39Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Pilgrim,
I was comparing how Christians react more favorably to visions from God rather than dreams from and possible reasons for this.It is possible for non Christians to have dreams from God and Visions from God but it is not the norm.
I considered Laban to be a believer even though he had idols but I could be wrong.
I was highlighting that we are really loosing out if we have a bad attitude to dreams from God.
Pilates wife is very interesting,if Pilate had listened to his wife......we would have been up a creek...
Yours Staff

2012/4/3 19:13Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi staff,

I understand your OP better now with your further explanation. I'm a little slow, sometimes. Yeah, Pilate's wife is interesting. I wonder where her dream came from?

Pilgrim

2012/4/3 19:35Profile
savannah

Re: The other side of dreams

Jeremiah 23:25-28,32 I have heard what the prophets say, who prophesy falsehood in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.

How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, and who are prophets of the deceit of their own heart? who think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour: as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell the dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith Jehovah.

Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith Jehovah, and that tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies and by their boasting; and I have not sent them, nor commanded them; and they profit not this people at all, saith Jehovah.

Ecclesiastes 5:7 For in the multitude of dreams are vanities; so with many words: but fear God.

Ecclesiastes 5:3 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business, and a fool's voice through a multitude of words.

Many, of old, pretended to know the mind of God by dreams, and were so full of them that they almost made God's people forget his name by their dreams (Jer_23:25, Jer_23:26); and many now perplex themselves with their frightful or odd dreams, or with other people's dreams, as if they foreboded this or the other disaster. Those that heed dreams shall have a multitude of them to fill their heads with; but in them all there are divers vanities, as there are in many words, and the more if we regard them. “They are but like the idle impertinent chat of children and fools, and therefore never heed them; forget them; instead of repeating them lay no stress upon them, draw no disquieting conclusions from them, but fear thou God; have an eye to his sovereign dominion, set him before thee, keep thyself in his love, and be afraid of offending him, and then thou wilt not disturb thyself with foolish dreams.” - M. Henry

2012/4/3 19:35Profile
lindi1208

Re: Praise God for dreams

Hi Staff!

Thanks for posting this. I am a dreamer! I have many many testimonies of God speaking to me through dreams. I will share only a few soon after being born again I was going through a trial and felt discouraged God encouraged me through a dream. In the dream was a man who was walking with me up to a fruit tree when we got to the tree I wanted some fruit but could only see two fruit on the tree I turned around and said there wasn't much fruit there and the man said to me if you look closer you will find it lo and behold the tree was filled with fruit and I started picking it delightfully. When I awoke I knew the dream was from God and I knew it mean't He was filling me with His Spirit in order to bear more fruit in particular long suffering.

Another dream I had was a woman carrying a bag with one of my husbands shirts and my husband was about to leave with her. That dream got my attention the next day I found out my spouse's affair.God used the dream to get my attention He had been trying to speak to me by impressing upon me that all isn't well but I was ignoring that feeling all week thinking that I was just being jealous so then he spoke to me through that dream and got my attention!

Another dream I had was carrying a bottle of oil which was nearly empty. I decided to go into the shop to buy some more oil but as I entered the shopkeeper told me off said I could not come in the store with that bottle and should leave it outside I left the store and as I walked away I saw my oil bottle suddenly filled to the top with oil. When I woke I knew God was speaking to me and showing me He replenishes my strength I do not need to look to men.

There are so many I could share but for time. I know some don't put much emphasis on God speaking to believers through dreams and visions but He does. I have had visions and once even heard an audible voice His exact words were " true love is to lay down one's life for another". So God speaks to us in various ways He is soveriegn and chooses how to do so each time!

Be blessed !

2012/4/3 20:30Profile

Re:

Good thread. Here's a recent post that I wrote discussing dreams. I share some personal experiences at the end of it.

Maybe It Was Bad Pizza:
http://preachingjesus.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/maybe-it-was-bad-pizza/

2012/4/3 22:29

Re:

Was John Bunyon not a dreamer?

2012/4/3 23:43
staff

Re:

Hi Savannah,
Isnt that just my point-their is the other side of visions,their is the other side of worship,the other side of preaching but we don't down grade the importance of that communication.
When Satan gets the hold of anything he corrupts it not just dreams.
If you quoted ecclesiastes to Joseph or Jacob or Solomon would they call their dreams vanity; no.
If we follow your logic we shouldnt preach,or worship,or relate visions or give words from God because they may be False.God is against all false hood not just false dreams.
Matthew Henry is clearly incorrect about Joseph or Laban or Joseph who heeded the dreams and all were blessed because of it.
Your response makes my point perfectly,We dont stop prophesying because of false prophesy,we dont stop preaching because of false doctrine;why should we stop relating dreams from God because of false prophets who dream falsely?Joseph didnt,Jacob didnt and Solomon didnt I stand corrected but didnt Solomon write ecclesiastes?
Yours Staff

2012/4/4 18:27Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Lindi,
Your wrote wisely-
(There are so many I could share but for time. I know some don't put much emphasis on God speaking to believers through dreams and visions but He does. I have had visions and once even heard an audible voice His exact words were " true love is to lay down one's life for another". So God speaks to us in various ways He is soveriegn and chooses how to do so each time! )
It is clearly un-scriptural and unwise not to put emphasis on a dream from God or anything from God.Some leading figures in the bible have had dreams or interpreted dreams,so it is clear God can communicate through dreams.I would go as far as saying that some christians are just doing Satan a favour by basically bad mouthing this communication.Everybody knows that God doesnt like false dreams or any falsehood but that is no reason not to relate or interpret dreams that are from the throne room or heaven.
Dreams from God have nothing to do with whether you believe in the gifts of the spirit as being for today or not.
Thank you for your examples on how great our God is,
Yours Staff

2012/4/4 18:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy