SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Here Comes Peter Cottontail, again!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
Brother, this is sooo true! I fell prey to this as well. I finally woke up to that fact after my heart attack. It's been a slow process "deprogramming" myself, but I have backed away from a lot of things that most people would consider to be very spiritual activities and such. Why? I was burned out! Frankly, much of it was being done in my own strength.

Brother, what you went through many will disagree with, but that is the Normal Chrisitian life. What I mean is that when one gets saved, it's not in a pre-planned ceremony with candles, or walking the aisle and getting your ticket punched and then walking the aisle again another couple of weeks later and then living your life the same old way that you always have.

Regeneration is a crisis period in one's life. Why is that? Because an exchange is taking place. Christ's life for a spirit that is dead in trespasses and sins. Think about the radical change that takes place in true spiritual regeneration. Yes, it is definitely a crisis period. This is our first one, when we are translated from the Kingdom of Darkness to the Kingdom of His dear Son.

But, this is a life we know nothing about. Another crisis period comes in our life when we come to the end of ourselves. For some it takes a couple of years while for others it may take 30 years or sadly, they never realize come to it. Some here, have not come to that place yet. In order to find that place of rest in Christ, one has to go through another crisis (and there is usually more than one for most of us).

Learning to live by His life and not to lean on our own flesh is a daily thing, but to come to that place where we realize we are doing it all in our flesh is a glorious place to come to. Because, it is a door closing to something we don't want and another door opening to something we always read about but for some reason could never attain. All because of I, Me, My. All because of ME. No one else.

We are called human beings for a reason. We are not called human doings.

We all have to come to that place where the Citadel of Self Dependency is brought down. I don't think this is a step that anyone bypasses.

After the Hebrew children had their crisis of being freed from Egypt, through the Red Sea, they had to learn some very hard lessons in the Wilderness about God's ways. Same thing for the Christian. Truth, is the Hebrew children went through many crisis' and many of us will, too, until we learn what Jesus was trying to convey to Martha in the kitchen.

Reading your wonderful comments reminded me of a story I read that I think you will relate to and even enjoy.

It is called, "My Friend Finds The Answer". I posted it here:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43469&forum=44&6

Thanks for being vulnerable.

Pilgrim

"Be still and know that I am God".

2012/3/27 8:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"I have a friend that confessed to me recently that he spent so many years trying to be spiritual, that he forgot he was human and neglected that part of himself. I am not talking about fleshly. I am talking about being human. He projected this persona towards others and consequently no one thought he ever needed anything. As it turns out, he was very spiritual, but very lonely, too.

Being spiritual, is being human and vulnerable and honest. There is a freedom in being in this place.

When we stop being human, we stop being able to communicate with our fellow man, saved or unsaved."

There is enough inspiration in this post to discuss in a completely different thread. I suggest, pilgrim, you do just this very thing...

ginnyrose

2012/3/27 9:16Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Ginny,

I would be happy to. Any ideas for a title?

Thank you,
Pilgrim

2012/3/27 9:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I went back and read the post referred to in your link. After rereading it I was inspired by a paragraph that does go with the thought you are sharing here. Here it is:

QUOTE:
"When he would feel depressed, I would say to him, “Well then, be depressed.” Then when he would accept and not fight or try to figure himself out, he experienced a great release. When we embrace our negatives, it takes the bite out of Satan's temptations. What we fight, fights us. But when we praise the Lord and accept ourselves as right and relax, the inner word from the Lord comes naturally and easily in us."

2012/3/27 9:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Hmmmm...just off the top of my head - "On Being Human". You used this phrase. You likely could come up with something better.

2012/3/27 9:25Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

I was thinking of that, too, and maybe "Human Beings or Human Doings?"

I grew up in a performance related home and religion and always felt like a "human doing". It is so nice to discover what a human being is.

I may get around to it later today, Ginny. Thanks for your encouragement.

Pilgrm

2012/3/27 10:06Profile

Re:

Thank you Ginnyrose for re-routing this bunny-trail off the main topic. But while we're on it, I may as well hop-on for a minute.

-------

What you are talking about Pilgrim is "walking in the flesh". Trying to 'do' things for GOD in one's own ability or power or initiative.

Someone may read one of the posts on this topic so far, since you've started it and ask, "What should I do instead? Pop a can of beer, pull out a cigar and watch the game?" :)

I'd like to contend that, the 'Biblical' view of "walking in the Spirit", is non-self-effort - not from our own understanding or you can call that - not leaning on our own understanding of what to do next.
It's child-like dependence on the Voice of The Good Shepherd as Jesus described in John chpt 10.
It's knowing that, in our flesh dwells NO GOOD thing.
Good intentions are OK for Babes in Christ - but the mature in Him should understand that they should not lean upon their own understanding - that they need to trust Him to guide/lead them into all truth and for what to do from moment to moment - in All their 'ways' acknowledging Him, so that HE will "direct their paths".

It's totally Freeing of 'self' to walk in this manner and come what may, as a result of following His leading - it's our reasonable service - as Paul, John and the rest had shown by 'their' lives.

If it truly 'is' "Not us that live but Christ that lives within us and the life that we now live, we live by the faith of Him' ... then we could be BIBLICALLY *spiritual* [walking by the Spirit's leading - doing Biblically spiritual initiated things that He directs us to do], 24/7.
It's nothing about us - and all about Him.

So, again - what you've brought onto this thread is about 'walking in the flesh' - "autonomously" - doing what our "minds" dictate needs to be done ... and Not "walking in The Spirit".

The Spirit 'can do' JESUS-JESUS-JESUS - 'Others-only-always', all day - every day - in other words - do what He would do if He were living inside us - having full reign of our brain.

There is a Biblical "spiritual walk" that we aim to walk in for that 24/7 and His yoke 'is' easy and His Burden is light ... though every one of His Apostles didn't have an easy life or death at all.

GOD Bless and thanks for moving onto your own trail :)

2012/3/27 12:09
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
What you are talking about Pilgrim is "walking in the flesh". Trying to 'do' things for GOD in one's own ability or power or initiative.

Yes, I may have alluded to that with Krispy but it is only fair to let an individual characterize their own walk with the Lord. But my friend was not talking about being fleshly. And he is a strong, solid Believer, but he just lost touch with being human and his human needs.

Here is what I said:

Quote:
"I have a friend that confessed to me recently that he spent so many years trying to be spiritual, that he forgot he was human and neglected that part of himself. I am not talking about fleshly. I am talking about being human.

There is a difference in "walking in the flesh" and being human in the context of being in Christ.

Jesus was a human being and yet He knew how to relate to his disciples and the lost without being uber-spiritual, yet He was not walking in the flesh. He was approachable and dealt with many on their human level and that is why He touched many hearts. And in His humanness and vulnerability He was not so spiritual that he could not express some of His own needs and desires. We will take a look at those.

I will take this to another thread. It seems that it would be good to delve into this.

Thank you JiG for your indulgence regarding this "bunny trail" and stimulating this thought I have had about our humanity that God gave us. It is through our humanity that the Spirit expresses the character and nature of God.

And it was through Jesus' humanity that God expressed Himself to us.

John 11:36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

Pilgrim

2012/3/27 13:14Profile

Re:

As our discussion is also driveled onto MaryJane's thread - may as well reply to your post here as well.

"Being human" - OK - Who's our example of how to walk?

He 'ate' when GOD told Him to.
He 'slept' when GOD told Him to.
EVERY single action and word was in complete obedience to The Father - FOR "others-only-always".

He'd stay up all night to pray.
Pray for what?

He rested and ate when told to - so that He'd have strength to do the next thing that His Father wanted Him to do.

He's the Only Example that we have.

2012/3/27 14:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy