· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Evidence of Genuine Belivers Speaking in Tongues before 1900? (HELP!)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: my dear MJ

Quote:
Its threads like these that make me just want to give up completely here. To imply or say that only those who speak in tongues have received baptism of the Holy Spirit is so hurtful. I spent months on my knees begging and pleading with GOD, tears streaming down my face until the early morning hours to receive this gift because people just like some here have done made me feel like less of a christian because I did not speak in tongues... why do we do this to one another, why do we say such things to bring heart ache and cause sorrow? Just breaks my heart to read some of the comments. You really have no idea how your words cut and make someone like me feel like a failure and their walk is somehow lacking.

mj

MJ... thank you for posting this. I would like to hear from those who claim all who have the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues address what you just said.

Seriously... I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Krispy

2012/3/7 15:03

really?

Quote:
Actually we're getting somewhere here... this is a good conversation. Leave it be.
Krispy

where you getting? stumbling folks? passing some idle time?

oh, i'll "leave it be".....keep it up, and one day, you'll call out, "Lord, Lord".....and i pray you never hear the rest of what Jesus says in that passage......

2012/3/7 15:13

Re:

Quote:
Read on, brother: verse 18 "they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Are you a snake handler? If not... why?

Great answer. One group or the other will be silenced with a few cups of poison, the hard part will be finding any willing to drink it....

OJ

2012/3/7 15:17

Re:

Quote:
Neil... if you want the forum shut down then why are you here posting on it? Just leave if you feel that way.

Krispy

oh Steven, i HAVE left....but hoping against hope, i come back to the 'fig tree', hoping for fruit...and there is none....should we give it another year?

nice witness.

2012/3/7 15:18

Re:

Quote:
nice witness

I agree, krispy's witness has been very good in this thread. Others, not so much.

But who cares what I say ;-$

OJ

2012/3/7 15:27

Re: really?

The fact is that if you would read the conversation in context you would see that Approved and I did get sideways over a few things... but at this point common ground has been found, and we are actually have a good discussion.

I dont think the thread should be locked just because it's me who is in it, and you dont like my position.

It IS a good witness when Approved and I can bring this around and work thru some misunderstandings and begin to hash out some theological differences.

Thats what has happened here. It would be a shame to shut it down because you popped into the middle of something and decided that it should be shut down. We're making good ground here... and MJ brings up a very valid point and is represenative of a whole lot of believers... and her concerns need to be addressed by those who oppose what I've said here.

Krispy

2012/3/7 15:27
hulsey

Missouri

Re: really?

One book that has been a blessing to me concerning the Holy Spirit and a 'Second Blessing' is Martyn Lloyd-Jones' book "Joy Unspeakable".

In the latter half of Bro. Lloyd-Jones' ministry he became convinced of the blessing, or baptism, of the Holy Spirit as different from the receiving of the Spirit at salvation and the great need of the modern Church.

It's a scholarly as well as a devotional teaching on the subject of the Holy Spirit.

Bro. MLJ was the last of the Calvinist Methodists. This was a belief-the Baptism of the Holy Spirit-he did not hold early on but came to in the course of his life. He did not believe that tongues is the 'initial physical evidence' or that there necessarily is the need for an initial physical evidence though he believes this may happen. However he did believe that it is a definite personally discernible event that may happen only once to a believer and it may happen a thousand times over the course of their Christian life. He also believed the gifts of the Spirit were for today.

I know this doesn't answer the original question. There are historical books that trace the operations of the gifts but this should never be used to confirm or deny the teaching of the Bible. Scripture is sufficient to deny or confirm a belief or practice in the Church.

2012/3/7 15:29Profile

Kripsy Steven

i dont think you understood what i wrote, i wasnt talking about THIS thread, i'm talking about the forum, SHUT THE FORUM DOWN....not just a thread.

The sermons will be here to continue to edify.

this forum has turned into a terrible witness, thats truth.

2012/3/7 15:36

Re:

Ahhh.... Husley, very well done! Martyn Lloyd-Jones is one of my favorites, and while I had already come to pretty much the same conclusions on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, he did articulate my position perfectly.

I had not mentioned this book yet, but was headed in that direction. It is a fantastic book (as is "Preachers and Preaching").

I just had not gotten around to declaring (for all to hear) that I do believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and I do believe that it is generally a separate experience from salvation.

There... I said it. However, like Martyn Lloyd-Jones I do not believe it is mandatorily always accompanied by tongues. I believe it can and does happen, but more often than not it doesnt.

There ya go folks, bookmark this post so next time no one has to waste time telling me that I do not believe in it.

Krispy

2012/3/7 15:37
mackaymarsh

Re: Kripsy Steven

I totally agree with Neil! I used to refer many to Sermon Index but not any more. I just cannot stand it any more. It has become so polluted. This thread in particular. I am not a writer and cannot say what is really in my heart but I am so, so wounded. Where is the love of God in your writings? What a mockery this forum has become.

I would ask God to forgive them as they don't know what they are doing but, in reality, they know exactly what they are doing and as long as they have this platform they will continue to spit out their venom.

REPENT!!!!

Wayne

2012/3/7 15:48Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy